Time for new sleep system. Quilt+Bivvy+Floorless shelter?

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
After this years hunt I'm wanting to upgrade my sleep system set up. My set up isn't too bad now but its a little bulky for my pack and its weight isn't desirable.. Right now I use a mummy zero bag that is like 4 lbs. and I use a 2p tent is about the same I'd guess. I use a 4800 exo k3 pack and its getting pretty tight. I almost upgraded before this fall and just ended up not doing it. I spiked 6 miles into and around 11,500 and just took my pad and a light blanket and froze my tail off. I was thinking my zero bag was over kill and too much weight for opener and wasnt the case for me. I slept with my puffy gear and that helped.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of floorless shelter like SO silex and a bBvy/quilt set up. What is everyone's go to sleep system for a bivy/quilt tarp or floorless shelter type set up?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I use different "shelters" and sleep systems based on time of year, where the hunt is, current weather, etc. A lot of the time my only "shelter" is a sheet of Tyvek either under my sleeping pad or over my head. Sometimes it's a 4 season Hileberg tent with a water resistant zero degree bag... Relying on a single shelter or sleeping system isn't ideal for how and where I hunt.

huntnful

WKR
I've used a six moons design "Lunar Solo" for 4 years. I can't imagine a better, lightweight, packable single person tent. Pair it with a thermarest inflatable pad and Enlightened Equipment 40, 20 or 0 degree quilt based on conditions and you really can't beat that system IMO. Probably half the weight and bulk of your current system.

BBob

WKR
Early archery:
Tarptent Notch Li tarp/fly only w/6 Easton 8" Nano's
MLD Superlight bivy w/2 Easton 6" Nano's
El Coyote reg wide 30° quilt
Thermarest neo air xtherm
(3.4lbs TTL)

Pretty much everyone else I hunt with early archery uses a basic rectangular tarp, no bivy with various light bags.

106CC92B-1E17-4447-A1C3-DD3425EAC778.jpeg

Last edited:

id_jon

WKR
I use a Borah bivy, switch between a kifaru super tarp and sheep tarp depending on the expected weather conditions, and also switch between a kifaru backcountry body bag (25*?) and a Nemo 0* down bag. I have a nemo insulated pad, and I think that makes a big difference, I also always bring a thermarest foam pad for glassing, and for extra protection of my air pad. If weather is expected to be bad, I take the super tarp with annex and a cylinder stove, though you could get by without the stove, its nice to pass the time and dry stuff out in nasty weather. If weather is nice I'll just take the sheep tarp, and generally only set it up if it looks like rain, though that's still limited to mid April through early september.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried quilts in tents and tarp shelters. Love the weight savings. But I sleep cold in them, probably because I toss and turn throughout the night, letting in drafts and cold air.

I love the combination of quilt, underquilt, and hammock though. Have never slept better.

Poser

WKR
I use a MLD bivy sack with a moon shaped zipper, Thermarest X Therm and a 20 degree quilt. I tend to use this combo regardless of the shelter type since it also allows me to bivy out, which I do regularly if there is no weather or I have to sleep in a deer bed due to terrain considerations.

Drenalin

WKR
Flat tarp (either Yama Mtn Gear or Seek Outside DST), Borah bivy, Thermarest XTherm, Katabatic quilt.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on weather:
Borah Tarp for early season solo trips or Guardian if hunting with a partner/inclement weather expected.
Borah Bivy
Hammock Gear 20 degree quilt
Thermarest Neo Air XLite pad
Possibly a Matty McMat Face if it's going to be colder.

After this years hunt I'm wanting to upgrade my sleep system set up. My set up isn't too bad now but its a little bulky for my pack and its weight isn't desirable.. Right now I use a mummy zero bag that is like 4 lbs. and I use a 2p tent is about the same I'd guess. I use a 4800 exo k3 pack and its getting pretty tight. I almost upgraded before this fall and just ended up not doing it. I spiked 6 miles into and around 11,500 and just took my pad and a light blanket and froze my tail off. I was thinking my zero bag was over kill and too much weight for opener and wasnt the case for me. I slept with my puffy gear and that helped.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of floorless shelter like SO silex and a bBvy/quilt set up. What is everyone's go to sleep system for a bivy/quilt tarp or floorless shelter type set up?
WM Lynx Gore, SO Cimmaron/SXL Nemo Alpine pad. I did a bunch of experimenting last winter in solid 0F temps. For every 1" above ground air temp increases abt 5 deg with the stove fired. Ill be trying a Helinox UL cot this season to gain a few inches and degrees. For those who say cot= extra weight I say train harder

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried quilts in tents and tarp shelters. Love the weight savings. But I sleep cold in them, probably because I toss and turn throughout the night, letting in drafts and cold air.

I love the combination of quilt, underquilt, and hammock though. Have never slept better.
Have you tried adding a Bivy to that setup?

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I'm thinking a Borah/Down quilt with a Cimarron SO with stove jack incase I need one for late season. Thanks for the feedback.

If you need some ideas, this year I’ll be using a Large Xtherm pad, XL 0* zen bivy light bed, under a sawtooth with an SXL stove. If not using the Sawtooth I'm typically using a Mountainsmith LT shelter.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
If you need some ideas, this year I’ll be using a Large Xtherm pad, XL 0* zen bivy light bed, under a sawtooth with an SXL stove. If not using the Sawtooth I'm typically using a Mountainsmith LT shelter.
I will follow up. If you happen to think about it, snap a pic of the layout when you out in the back country, I would love to see the set up.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
Good point to raise--I have not, and I imagine it would help staying contained.

I do wish quilts and I got along for cold weather trips. It's a big weight savings.
I feel with the reflective heat you could do so. Thats my idea anyways.

Rizzy

WKR
The single wall shelters and bivy set ups are a good shelter system to start with. That Silex looks good. I would want to be able to sit up in it without my head hitting the sides or top of it. The floored shelters are usually more comfortable, especially in bad weather and in early season when bugs are still active (mosquitos and carpenter ants). With the floorless you get a bigger shelter for the same weight usually. It will be a personal choice on what you like better. When you have a comfortable sleep system you sleep better and hunt better.
I use my Hileberg Niak a lot because its more secure, convenient and comfortable, but it is heavy. For good weather I use a Tarptent Bowfin or Kifaru Supertarp and bivy set up.

I would recommend a sleeping Pad with an R value of 5 or more, this will allow your sleeping bag or quilt to achieve its temperature rating more accurately. I use quilts in warm weather, but in cold weather they are way too drafty. I end up constantly tucking them in to stay warm instead of sleeping. I use a 30 degree montbell spiral hugger and Xlite sleeping pad for most September hunts. Once temps start getting in the low 30's or less, I use the 20 Kifaru Slick bag and Xtherm pad.

OP
___DAN___

___DAN___

Lil-Rokslider
I use a MLD bivy sack with a moon shaped zipper, Thermarest X Therm and a 20 degree quilt. I tend to use this combo regardless of the shelter type since it also allows me to bivy out, which I do regularly if there is no weather or I have to sleep in a deer bed due to terrain considerations.
Do you use any tarp?