Timberline

Same here, no regrets on the T1 over the T2. Can always compress the extra volume, can't make it appear if ya need more. :D

Aron,

When choosing to go with the XLT lid or Longhunter lid on a T2 am I correct in saying it increases the volume capacity? In other words, with the standard lid the c.i. is 5200 but with and XLT it's 5800 or 6200 c.i. for the Longhunter lid.

I have the T1 and T2....realistically I will probably do most of my hunting with the T2, but if I went on a 10 day or more hunt I would use the T1.

One thing to keep in mind is the Timberline packs are cubed out counting their sleeve pockets and back pockets.

Here is my pack with just some day hunt gear (rain gear, puffy pants/coat, tripod/spotter, headlamp and some other odds and ends) and a good sized Sitka buck still on the bone. Granted its not deboned, but even if I had and wanted to keep the cape, I'd still be pretty full up. Personally I really hate strapping stuff to the outside of my pack. A larger pack will hang up still in the brush and a smaller pack with stuff strapped to the outside.

Just something to consider.

T1 pack loaded up with deer and day hunt gear:
IMGP0803.jpg

was wondering what the difference is in the lid options. I've gone through the photos their website and I just cant figure it out. Seems like the longhunter and xtl are the same lid just with pockets? Seems steep for and extra 100$ if thats the difference

im ordering mine with a claymore lite to strap to the standerd top lid.this gives you 650 cu of top lid when you want it or none when you dont and still have a lid on the pack.50 bucks in multi cam was a no brainer for me

Last edited:
I have to say after playing with the pack the coolest/best feature on this thing is the suspension and how each shoulder strap adjusts independently. Most guys wont appreciate this but my shoulders are not the same height. My right one is a good inch lower than my left. So on all pack prior I either adjusted them so I had no weight on my left shoulder, which made the pack not balances real well. Or my left shoulder was bearing weight and got sore/tired real quick. With the Timberline I do not have this issue and adjusting these things is a piece of cake!! I love this thing!!

I have to say Kifaru Customer Service is top notch. I got my Timberline 2 with a medium belt and me being a 33 inch waist am right in between a small and medium. I decided I needed a small since I bottomed out my medium one. I called them yesterday at lunch and Alisha offered to over night one to me if I needed, I didn't so I said no thanks. But I just got an email that it shipped. One day from a custom shop and it is out the door. I am very impressed! I don't mind spending coin on gear from a company that treats you like family! Way to go Kifaru, really glad they are sponsoring this site!

BH, I think the T2 is probably a tad to big for carry on based on specifications, but I personally would try it. I have seen people get away with much bigger back packs as carry on. I think the back packs get a little more wiggle room than luggage does.

I brought a T1 as a carry on last year and nothing was said, but I'm pretty sure they thought I was in the military and that may have helped.

Who's wearing them? Which one? What kind of hunts?

I have the T1 coming my way in two weeks. Ordering up the T3 this week!

I own the first production T1 and I am happy to say that I have never regretted the decision for a second. From early October to Early December the pack was on 4 successful deer and elk hunts. I have done a little modification to dial it in, (ie. custom shaped aluminum stays, accessories, shaving down the back pad a little, ect.) but that's typical for most of my gear. I don't see anyone not being 100% satisfied with these packs.

Has anyone flown with a T2? I am heading to alaska in may and I hope to use it for carry on.

I flew with my T1 last year. Granted I took the stays out and put them in my check baggage. Pretty sure had I tried to go with 26" stays in there they would a turned me back though. The stays are easy enough to remove that it wasn't that be of a deal to just take 'em out and put them back in on the other end.

So Im getting ready to order a t2. Im not going to get the longhunter or xtl lid but may up grade later. So besides that is there any other options or accessories you feel are have to have or wish you had ordered? Or even those that you feel you did order but could have done without? Thanks

So Im getting ready to order a t2. Im not going to get the longhunter or xtl lid but may up grade later. So besides that is there any other options or accessories you feel are have to have or wish you had ordered? Or even those that you feel you did order but could have done without? Thanks

I think the Grab-it is a must. Than a small belt pouch (for wind indicator, calls etc..) I think those are the only 2 things I feel I couldn't do without. Next would be a lash kit to strap the bow down.

If going standard lid, get a large KU Possibles pouch to put on the top of the lid like I did above, its space thats easy access that is more than worth the $$ and extra two oz. Also I didn't get one initially but have one on order now is a grab it. Super hand little piece from what I have seen on my wife's KU pack so its coming on my next Kifaru order for sure.

So a large possible KU pouch and a regular grab it are what I'd pick for accessories right off the bat.

Back