Timberline vs. Timberline 2?

Timberline or Timberline 2

• Timberline

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Timberline 2

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here is another poll for me since I am unable to make a decision (along with having an opinion, which I usually don't run short on). In short, this year I will be going to Colorado chasing elk and mule deer. This THE ONE pack will be used from Florida to Alaska and everywhere in between for any critter and also hiking with the family. I am not opposed to add-on pouches to equal out the CI but wonder if taller and simpler is better and/or lighter. That being said, which one and why or why not? This subject has been beaten to death and I recently ruled out the KU line for consideration.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have both and to tell you the truth, the two are so very similar with the exception of the snow collar. If you download the specs on them from Kifaru and look at the actually measurements, they are only a couple of inches between them. If you plan on many different types of hunting I would go with the T1 as it will do everything up to 14 days if not more. If it turns out to be to much, cut the snow collar out and you essentially have a T2. The weight of adding on extra pockets and other stuff to either pack is not worth it to me. I run an XTL lid stripped down as a lid only, so I have the main compartment, the bladder area, two pockets on the lid, two pockets on the pack and the two open long pockets. That is plenty of organization for me. I am sure Aron will see this thread and offer some advice. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

aggieland

WKR
I would have to hold the T2 so I could see the difference. I know that last year using the KU 5200 with an E&E I had enough room for my gear packed as tight as possible and no room for anything extra, like meat etc. The Timberline I received last week will work for anything I ever try and should be plenty of space that I dont have to go crazy compressing every single thing. Anyway its a hard call I guess for some.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The measurements are approximately this for the main bag. I believe the pockets on the side and back are identical. The top lids are the same if you use the same for each. All measurements in inches.

T1: Height 26 - 42, Width measured on frame side 12 at top 14 at bottom, Depth 15, Circumference; 33 Top, 34 Middle and 37 Bottom
T2: Height 26 - 42, Width measured on frame side 12 at top 14 at bottom, Depth 14.5, Circumference; 31 Top, 33 Middle and 31 Bottom

OP
Brandon Pattison
Last year I used a Blue Widow with a spike duffel on the inside. It (the whole pack) was jam-packed. Their website claims that it is 4700 cu in in this mode and I thought it was a bit small. Don't get me wrong, I made it work but thought if it was bigger it would be easier to load and find stuff in it. Even though the T2 is 500 cu in larger, it isn't much larger, basically one side pouch. I did notice that the shape of the pack lended it to keep the weight close to your back. But from what I hear there is no comparison to a Kifaru. I am with some of you of having the extra space if needed. I also understand that having room makes you less likely to leave it at the trail head. I have also loaded medium ALICE packs heavy enough that requires assistance to stand up, let alone a large.

littlebuf

Banned
i had this same question. actually ended up talking with Patrick (owner of kifaru) and came to one conclusion the T1 can get smaller (by compression) the T2 cant get bigger (with out adding pods or other like pockets) had a few others over at the kifaru forums echo the go big or go home sentiment.im ordering a T1 and it will be my day pack as well as my backcountry pack.with the outside pockets on the thing i think it really will "do it all"

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Although the specs are only 500 different between blue widow and T2 it isn't even close. The T2 swallows the other up. The T1 gets just as small as the T2 in daypack mode. Good point about why to choose a T1.