Tikka vs Kimber, what would you do?

JP100

WKR
Id vote Tikka every time over pretty much any factory rifle I can think of. shoot like a dream, reliable and tough as hell. save the money and spend it on a good scope. Ive seen custom rifles worth 4 times a Tikka that dont shoot as well and are not as smooth in the action

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
What are the setups? The Kimber looks better "out of the box" IMO, but I'm not fond of the Tikka lines and I am a fan of theirs.

OP
Dromsky

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
What are the setups? The Kimber looks better "out of the box" IMO, but I'm not fond of the Tikka lines and I am a fan of theirs.
Tikka is T3 Lite SS .270 wsm with Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10 with cds, 7# 8oz.
Kimber Mtn Ascent is .308 with Nikon 2.5-10 BDC, 6# even.
No data on either as I haven't made it to the range yet, hard to believe I'm not gonna love either.
I agree the Kimber is the more appealing out of the box.
My fave will be decided at the range!

GKPrice

Banned
Tikka is T3 Lite SS .270 wsm with Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10 with cds, 7# 8oz.
Kimber Mtn Ascent is .308 with Nikon 2.5-10 BDC, 6# even.
No data on either as I haven't made it to the range yet, hard to believe I'm not gonna love either.
I agree the Kimber is the more appealing out of the box.
My fave will be decided at the range!

Although both are "get er done" chamberings it's not really an apples to apples comparison. I vote to keep them both. They'll get along well enough

How about one of these in a .280 AI!! I think the next rifle I am going to get is going to be made by the Montana Rifle Company here in Montana. They make a rifle on their own action and design which is based on what they felt were the best attributes of the Model 70 and the Mauser 98. I've looked at several of their rifles and they really seem to be very well made.

http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=180

I have owned and sold both for years. OVERALL less tikkas have issues. I personally run more Kimbers because I like the feel and the reduced weight; however they're more finicky to load for. Once I have found the load they like, they all shoot great. Kimber: 223, 257 Bob, 25-06, 280AI, 30-06, Tikka 6.5x55, 338

[mention]Dromsky [/mention] so any feedback after 5 years looking at Kimber Montana in 243 and a Tikka T3 in 243 besides price can you speak to reliability? It’s for my 13 year old daughter who wants to start stalking as compared to hunting from a blind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
I just switched back to a Tikka from a montana. I hated the constant top loading/unloading. The clip is so nice with a Tikka. Throw it in and out. Never put one in the chamber, until its go time. I wouldn’t want to deal with that alone, with regards to kids and guns.

Thanks didn’t think about that guess I’m going tikka and all the hit or miss with regards to Kimber is not giving the best feeling. Tikka with good glass should be something she can keep for a while.