Tikka vs Kimber, what would you do?

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Like the title says, if you could chooose between a Tikka T3 lite and a Kimber Montana, caliber being the same. Which would you choose and why?
I've narrowed it down to these two and need some help finishing it off.
I know there's fans of both out there, lets hear why!

Application would be backpacking lower 48, elk and deer, factory loads.

Last edited:

GKPrice

Banned
I have both, I hunt with both and I love both for what they are individually - There are 4 Tikkas in my house right now and each of them is very accurate (with handloads) They are very nice rifles and the fact that they are, IMO, a bargain makes them even better - well designed and well made - Currently I have only one Kimber, a Montana 7mm-08 that has yet to be fired, it is gonna be a HUNTIN' rifle, I truly hope it is a shooter and it most likely will be AT LEAST an 1 1/2" gun but what it WILL be is a joy slipped into my Eberlestock pack while I lumber up and down the canyons - Kimber Montana's are designed right, enough said - the fact that one can buy nearly 2 Tikka superlights for the cost of a NIB Montana just muddies the water ...

AXEL

WKR
No question, the Kimber by 1000%, actually have an 84L-Mtn. Ascent-.280AI on order from last week. I intend to customize this as I have all of my hunting rifles and use it as a "pard" to my lighter, No. 2 Dakota 76-.338WM.

I am evermore impressed by the Kimbers and especially the Montana models. I would prefer a slightly thicker barrel, a good QD mount system with integral "ghost and post" irons, the latter with a barrel band and Euro Sourdough and a SS detachable floorplate option.

But, as they come, these are one FINE mountain hunting rig, especially for guys my age.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know that I would compare these two anyway since they are so far apart price wise.

To the OP,
Here are some reasons I continue to buy and shoot Tikka rifles.
1. Price
2. Weight
3. Stainless
4. Detachable magazine
5. Very accurate
6. Great adjustable trigger
7. Very smooth action

16Bore

WKR
I have both. Tikka in 223 and Kimber in 270WSM. They each come in at 7#2oz scoped w/3.5x10's, even with Kimbers 24" tube. Kimber's stock, throat, and mag box are light years ahead of Tikka. Won't matter with factory fodder anyway. Put a decent stock on a Tikka and you've spent Kimber money.

MattB

WKR
I am in the same boat as the OP and will likely buy a Kimber with the benefits being lighter weight, better overall quality, 3 position safety, CRF, and IMO a better looking over-all rifle. My last decision is whether to go 7mm-08 or .280 AI (I already have a bunch of .280 brass).

Bob, does Kimber's new 1" accuracy guaranty change your opinion at all? Guarantees are a funny thing, but my sense is that their confidence in providing a guaranty is an indication their accuracy issues are behind them.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/kimber-accuracy-standard

16Bore

WKR
"I could take a dump in a box and slap a warranty on it, I've got the time"

Tommy Boy

A guarentee that a rig will shoot particular ammo in particular conditions means particularly nothing. Every rig I own has a Sub MOA guarentee. I guarentee that if I can't get it to shoot, it gets sold.

dotman

WKR
The price diff isn't that big, you can get a new Montana for around $1000 or a tikka for $600, in the scheme of things this isn't a huge jump. Especially if you plan to try to lighten up the Tikka or upgrade the stock.

I love my kimber that is sitting in a Mcmillian A2 stock with edge fill, weighs in at 8lbs scoped, while not super lite it is a smooth shooting setup that doesn't weigh a ton. Take the Montana stock and weigh it, think it comes in around 24oz. Kimbers had problems years ago but the last few years I haven't heard of any issues out of them.

If I was to get a Tikka first thing I would do is upgrade the stock which puts it up there in price with the Montana.

Unless you plan to do nothing to the Tikka imo they cost the same.

Last edited:

usmc99

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka hands down. They are tack drivers plain and simple. Use the price savings towards the glass you put on it.

MattB

WKR
"I could take a dump in a box and slap a warranty on it, I've got the time"

Tommy Boy

A guarentee that a rig will shoot particular ammo in particular conditions means particularly nothing. Every rig I own has a Sub MOA guarentee. I guarentee that if I can't get it to shoot, it gets sold.

That is what I meant by my "funny" comment - the guaranty doesn't get you much. As I stated, I think it is more of an indication by the company that it has addressed the underlying quality issues that it experienced. With this I was wondering if there were issues other than inconsistent accuracy that folks were experiencing? I seem to recall that Bob may have had a feed ramp issue as well. If inconsistent accuracy was "the" issue, I'd have more confidence that I wouldn't get a "bad" rifle with Kimber having improved its accuracy standard from 1.50" to .99" and having put a guarantee around it.

SJ-AK

Lil-Rokslider
I went the Kimber Montana route once as well. After trying to get it to shoot for 6 months I sold it. My Tikka Super Lite shoots anything I put in it very well.

wapitibob

WKR
Bob, does Kimber's new 1" accuracy guaranty change your opinion at all? Guarantees are a funny thing, but my sense is that their confidence in providing a guaranty is an indication their accuracy issues are behind them.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/kimber-accuracy-standard

It certainly helps Matt. I loved the look and feel of the rifle.
1 1/2" on a good day with hand loads and forced to hand feed because bullets jammed on the feed shoe soured me pretty quick. Especially for an $1100 purchase. A friend had the exact same problems and an Internet search showed it wasn't isolated. A Rokslider who had the same jamming problem sent his rifle back and Kimber took a dremmel to the feed ramp and sent the gun back to him.

I hope you get a shooter. That in itself makes going to the range a fun thing to do.

Caliber is a big consideration IMO when considering these two firearms. I own a Kimber Montana chambered in .300 wsm and a Tikka T3 lite chambered in 7mm-08. Both of these rifles are within 1 ounce of each other. For magnum calibers I prefer a CRF and, there's a special place in my heart for the three position safety (I love my Winchester M70's). My Kimber is one of the first Montana's made, I purchased it in 2005 if my memory is correct and, although there has been a lot of accuracy issues with this particular rifle, I have never had a problem and, mine is a tack driving machine. The Tikka shoots just as good and for the price it is definitely hard to beat, if you're okay with the cheesy stock and push feed. I also agree with what's been previously said, don't skimp on the optics. Look at the best glass that you can afford, then maybe buy something a little better.

lcxctf2000

Lil-Rokslider
I have no personal Tikka experience but have had lukewarm Kimber experience. 300wsm that had to have the feed ramp cleaned up with a dremel and it won't shoot consistently. I can put 3 holes touching at 100 yards with my Savage .308 shooting handloads or the right factory ammo. Same day the Kimber maybe puts two touching and one flyer, with group size in the 2.5" range. Handloads and this is the most accurate load we've put through it.

If you can't trust the accuracy the rest of the benefits disappear in my opinion.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
From Kimber website:

"Sub MOA Accuracy Standard
Made in America, Kimber rifles are extremely accurate. The premium-quality and precision you have come to expect from Kimber can be found in the craftsmanship and many custom features of these very special firearms.
Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition."

I don't read that as a guarantee, just a statement of what they hope will happen. Nothing about fixing it for free, or getting your money back, or test firing before shipping, etc.

hunting1

WKR
No question, the Kimber by 1000%, actually have an 84L-Mtn. Ascent-.280AI on order from last week. I intend to customize this as I have all of my hunting rifles and use it as a "pard" to my lighter, No. 2 Dakota 76-.338WM.

I am evermore impressed by the Kimbers and especially the Montana models. I would prefer a slightly thicker barrel, a good QD mount system with integral "ghost and post" irons, the latter with a barrel band and Euro Sourdough and a SS detachable floorplate option.

But, as they come, these are one FINE mountain hunting rig, especially for guys my age.

What he said! All my Kimber's perform flawlessly and there is no plastic. Just my opinion...

MattB

WKR
From Kimber website:

"Sub MOA Accuracy Standard
Made in America, Kimber rifles are extremely accurate. The premium-quality and precision you have come to expect from Kimber can be found in the craftsmanship and many custom features of these very special firearms.
Kimber rifles are designed to be capable of shooting a 3-shot group of .99” or less at 100 yards by a highly skilled and qualified shooter using factory ammunition."

I don't read that as a guarantee, just a statement of what they hope will happen. Nothing about fixing it for free, or getting your money back, or test firing before shipping, etc.

Not unsurprisingly, that 2 sentence description does not outline Kimber's full policy in regards to the MOA Standard - and speculating absent a more thorough understanding is not constructive. Per a discussion I had with a Kimber Customer Service rep, its rifles are tested with factory ammo prior to shipment and not shipped unless they shoot MOA. If the gun will not shoot MOA for the buyer given certain criteria are met, there is a process for returning the gun to the company for independent testing, etc. The word "guaranty" was mentioned unsolicited in the explanation of this.

OP
Dromsky

Dromsky

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback guys I definitely appreciate your wisdom and experience, based on your comments we are currently tied with 5 for Tikka and 5 for Kimber. I'll likely not be purchasing a mag caliber if that makes any difference, I generally like to buy once and cry once rather than constant up-grading that is why I'm considering the Kimber otherwise my 1st choice would be the Tikka.
Lets hear from some more of you, those of you with personal history of problems with Kimbers, was this some time ago? Or more recent, maybe things have changed over there?