Tikka T3x Trigger Spring Replacement

fishslap

WKR
I’ve read that the tikka’s do not offer factory adjustment that goes much below 3lb. I shot my new t3x lite 7mm rem mag and the trigger is good but a little too stiff. I just got an average of 3lb 5.5oz on my Lyman trigger pull gauge after one trip to the range (seemed stiffer and thought I got over 4lb out of box). I know I can try to adjust it down further with the factory screw/spring, but I’d like to have an after market spring on hand if needed.
From what I read, some of the options might have an upper range that is too low for safe hunting. Anyone have a recommendation on a spring that will get me within 2-3lb? Here’s what I found with some quick research. Not sure if the numbers are actually correct.
Mountain Tactical (12oz -2lb)
Elay (1lb - ??)
Lumley (three ranges starting at 1, 1.5, and 2lb)
Yo Dave (12oz - ??)
M Carbo (says 2-4.5lb)

Lawnboi

WKR
The manual says the trigger will go 2 1/4 to 4 7/16.

Iv adjusted like ten of these. Some go a hair below two, some only to 2.5. You shouldn’t have a problem getting to a reasonable level.

I have a MT spring in my match tikka at 1.5lbs. My hunting guns get kept at 2.

If your goal is 2-3 pounds you don’t need a new spring.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I couldn’t get my 6.5 or my daughter’s 223 down to 2 pounds with the factory spring so I got a Yo Dave and she got a Mountain Tactical.

Last edited:
OP
F

fishslap

WKR
The manual says the trigger will go 2 1/4 to 4 7/16.

Iv adjusted like ten of these. Some go a hair below two, some only to 2.5. You shouldn’t have a problem getting to a reasonable level.

I have a MT spring in my match tikka at 1.5lbs. My hunting guns get kept at 2.

If your goal is 2-3 pounds you don’t need a new spring.
Thanks. Sounds like I should just give it a try. I thought my internet search revealed that they weren’t very adjustable on the lower end. Appreciate the info.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thanks. Sounds like I should just give it a try. I thought my internet search revealed that they weren’t very adjustable on the lower end. Appreciate the info.
Some don’t. But it’s worth a try. You can’t screw then out too far, the screw that holds the trigger on will stop it before it goes too far, atleast on the t3x

Dos XX

WKR
I've used YO Dave on 4 Tikkas. You can get them to 12 oz, and maybe even less. Pretty sure I had at least one of them down to 10 oz. I haven't used any of the other springs mentioned.

OP
F

fishslap

WKR
I've used YO Dave on 4 Tikkas. You can get them to 12 oz, and maybe even less. Pretty sure I had at least one of them down to 10 oz. I haven't used any of the other springs mentioned.
From what I’ve read, I’m more concerned about the top end being too low when using the after market springs. I don’t want to go less than 2lb.

I have a mountain tactical on a 300 wm and a mcarbo on my 6.5 prc. Both of them would adjust down to a hair below 3 pounds from the factory and I am at about 2 1/4 now on both springs. I have an original t3 in 7-08 that went down to 1.5 from the factory.

Tod osier

WKR
I’ve read that the tikka’s do not offer factory adjustment that goes much below 3lb. I shot my new t3x lite 7mm rem mag and the trigger is good but a little too stiff. I just got an average of 3lb 5.5oz on my Lyman trigger pull gauge after one trip to the range (seemed stiffer and thought I got over 4lb out of box). I know I can try to adjust it down further with the factory screw/spring, but I’d like to have an after market spring on hand if needed.
From what I read, some of the options might have an upper range that is too low for safe hunting. Anyone have a recommendation on a spring that will get me within 2-3lb? Here’s what I found with some quick research. Not sure if the numbers are actually correct.
Mountain Tactical (12oz -2lb)
Elay (1lb - ??)
Lumley (three ranges starting at 1, 1.5, and 2lb)
Yo Dave (12oz - ??)
M Carbo (says 2-4.5lb)

I had no problem getting my factory spring to do what I wanted in the 2.5 pound range. I bought a spring in advance of trying to adjust the factory one, but didn't use it.

Last edited:

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have MCARBO and Elay. They Elay is definitely lighter at around 11oz (pull), but it is very nice. The additional benefit of the Elay is no shipping charge as well.

sdupontjr

WKR
Elay on both of mine. You don't have to dial it all the way down if you don't want to. It still has enough spring tension to dial it up to just about stock, not quite, but close. And at $9 when I bought mine, it was a no brainer.

Grumman

WKR
I’ve installed two of Anarchy Outdoors spring. Haven’t measured them but they feel fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LuvDog

FNG
I've used YoDave and Elay and both can get above 2lbs. I recall seeing close to 2.5 when I first installed them, but I backed them down to 2.

On my rifle I could not get the sear to engage on the bolt with an aftermarket spring. I tried two different brands. I ended up replacing the entire trigger assembly with a Timney.