Tikka T1X vs T3X Action Size and Chassis

gtriple

WKR
Are the T1X and T3X actions the same footprint?

Will an MDT T3X short action chassis fit a T1X? What about an XLR Element 4.0 MG?

I've got an MDT ESS T3-SA chassis and am thinking about buying an HNT26 as well. I want to purchase a T1X for practicing, and I'd love to not have to purchase another expensive chassis. Plus, I'd like to be able to practice with as similar a system as possible to the T3X.

OR... Is it possible/logical to build a 22lr in a T3X action?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Our T3 and T1x inlet is the same footprint with a different trigger guard. There was a little additional clearance needed for the T1x mag to fit correctly! The additional trigger guard is only $25 and is super easy to swap! I cannot speak for other chassis manufacturers but there is a little bit of additional clearance that is needed for the T1 on the bottom of the inlet so I am not sure if your MDT chassis would work without modifications.

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
Our T3 and T1x inlet is the same footprint with a different trigger guard. There was a little additional clearance needed for the T1x mag to fit correctly! The additional trigger guard is only $25 and is super easy to swap! I cannot speak for other chassis manufacturers but there is a little bit of additional clearance that is needed for the T1 on the bottom of the inlet so I am not sure if your MDT chassis would work without modifications.
Thank you for the response! What about T3X SA vs LA? Can one chassis be used for both?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thank you for the response! What about T3X SA vs LA? Can one chassis be used for both?
You would not be able to use both sets of magazines. But if you went with a short action you could run a long action barreled action (lots of action going on here) and just use it as a single shot. Then you could put your short action in the chassis and utilize the mags. Then swap the t1 trigger guard and use that. Pretty ingenious design for them! So same actions just different magazines.

Just so you know you cannot run the T1 on a long-action tikka chassis though. The mag well cut is too small!

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
You would not be able to use both sets of magazines. But if you went with a short action you could run a long action barreled action (lots of action going on here) and just use it as a single shot. Then you could put your short action in the chassis and utilize the mags. Then swap the t1 trigger guard and use that. Pretty ingenious design for them! So same actions just different magazines.

Just so you know you cannot run the T1 on a long-action tikka chassis though. The mag well cut is too small!
Okay, so get a T3X SA chassis and you can run a T1X w/ a swapped trigger guard and LA calibers single-fed.

Is there a way to have an adapter/"bottom metal" on the Element 4.0 (or 5.0?) to swap between SA/LA mags?

Also, what about a cartridge like 7SAUM? Would those mags fit in the SA chassis?

Reactions: XLR

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You are correct in your first sentence to get the most out of the chassis! We do not do any sort of bottom metal for the chassis so that wouldn't be an option. Adapters also are probably not possible because the mags are so different. Short actions are double stack and longs are a single stack so the geometry is very different. A 7 saum running smaller bullets would be a great option! The only limiting factor like you reference is the magazines. As long as you had it throated correctly you could run them shorter and be just fine!

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
You are correct in your first sentence to get the most out of the chassis! We do not do any sort of bottom metal for the chassis so that wouldn't be an option. Adapters also are probably not possible because the mags are so different. Short actions are double stack and longs are a single stack so the geometry is very different. A 7 saum running smaller bullets would be a great option! The only limiting factor like you reference is the magazines. As long as you had it throated correctly you could run them shorter and be just fine!
Are the T3X long actions compatible with polymer magazines? The metal ones yall list are rather heavy.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Are the T3X long actions compatible with polymer magazines? The metal ones yall list are rather heavy.
There is not a polymer option for the 3.560" magazines. Tikka long actions are the only rifles that use AICS 3.560" mags so options are limited. As tikkas become more popular hopefully more options arise!

OP
gtriple

gtriple

WKR
There is not a polymer option for the 3.560" magazines. Tikka long actions are the only rifles that use AICS 3.560" mags so options are limited. As tikkas become more popular hopefully more options arise!
Will the Defiance Anti-X short action (Rem Model 7) fit into your Rem 700 SA (Clones) inlet? Or would I have to go with a traditional Rem Model 700 SA?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will the Defiance Anti-X short action (Rem Model 7) fit into your Rem 700 SA (Clones) inlet? Or would I have to go with a traditional Rem Model 700 SA?
You would have to go with the Defiance medium action (700 sa clone) for it to fit in the 700 clone inlet!