Tikka LA 300 WSM and 212 LRX

I've often considered having a Tikka 300 wsm built around the 212 lrx bullet. Converted to use it's LA overall length, I think it could work well but I've not found any reports of anyone's similar efforts. Barnes lists this bullet with an insane BC at .705 and many hand loads achieving more than 2800 fps. Barnes also says this bullet has minimum expansion velocity of 1600 fps, putting that at around 1200 yards (not that I would ever shoot at an animal nearly that far).

This sounds a bit too good to be true. Am I missing something? In case anyone wants to know, the purpose would be improving margin of error for Alaskan moose at extended range. I've done this with TTSX's from 375's and 338's out to 450 yards and they work well but these are getting a bit close to their minimum velocity at around 500 yards and my hunting terrain sometimes doesn't allow getting close. This setup definitely seems superior than those.

I am led to believe this hasn't been tried and reported on since a 1-8 twist is required and these bullets weren't available for a while. But I am curious if anyone has looked more into it and/or give their educated guesses for it's viability.

LightFoot

WKR
I think you’re right about the lack of 300 WSM rifles chambered in a long action and with a 1-8 twist.

If you give it a shot, I’d be interested in your experience.

>>>——JAKE——>

ElPollo

WKR
I've often considered having a Tikka 300 wsm built around the 212 lrx bullet. Converted to use it's LA overall length, I think it could work well but I've not found any reports of anyone's similar efforts. Barnes lists this bullet with an insane BC at .705 and many hand loads achieving more than 2800 fps. Barnes also says this bullet has minimum expansion velocity of 1600 fps, putting that at around 1200 yards (not that I would ever shoot at an animal nearly that far).

This sounds a bit too good to be true. Am I missing something? In case anyone wants to know, the purpose would be improving margin of error for Alaskan moose at extended range. I've done this with TTSX's from 375's and 338's out to 450 yards and they work well but these are getting a bit close to their minimum velocity at around 500 yards and my hunting terrain sometimes doesn't allow getting close. This setup definitely seems superior than those.

I am led to believe this hasn't been tried and reported on since a 1-8 twist is required and these bullets weren't available for a while. But I am curious if anyone has looked more into it and/or give their educated guesses for its viability.
It’s Barnes’ minimum velocity statement that is too good to be true. 2200 fps is a much better figure to ensure you get full expansion. That means you are building a gun specifically for a bullet with a 0.7 BC to shoot 500-ish yards and in. You just aren’t getting a huge benefit from the higher BC at that range.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
It’s Barnes’ minimum velocity statement that is too good to be true. 2200 fps is a much better figure to ensure you get full expansion.
Bingo.

Hey OP don't ask barnes the minimum expansion (that means it has barely opened and the petals are still smaller than the diameter of the bullet, do you consider that expansion?). Ask them the minimum velocity to get full expansion down to the root of the hollow point.

Now if you want to shoot a big ol barnes for fun / buck the wind more then have at it, but don't go shooting something down to 1600fps without realizing you might not like what happens terminally.

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
I got a long throated Tikka with a McGowan 300WSM 1-10” twist. It shoots 208 ELDM and 212 ELDX just fine.
Is there really anything’s significant to be gained with that Barnes LRX?

ElPollo

WKR

I am led to believe this hasn't been tried and reported on since a 1-8 twist is required and these bullets weren't available for a while. But I am curious if anyone has looked more into it and/or give their educated guesses for it's viability.
I agree with @JDBAK on the ELDM and ELDX. If you really want a higher BC non-lead bullet, you might check ou the DRTs. They have 220ish and a 250ish grain 30 cal bullets with pretty good BCs. Form say they act like a Berger. I don’t have any direct experience with them. I believe @SouthPaw has used the 6.5s and .224s down to 1800 with good wound channels. I am considering trying the .224s this fall.

OP
AkMtnRunner
I realize Barnes' minimum expansion isn't ideal expansion. I've considered ~2,100 fps to be a more usable minimum for their TTSX bullets (with 1800 stated minimum), which I can verify as performing well.

Coming from being happy with 338/375 TTSX bullets out to 450 yards, I am wondering if going to this combo is a legitimate route to extend the range potential. Or will there be a problem that I am not seeing? Putting an extremely long bullet into a wsm case loaded to around 3.4" isn't a common thing to do. I have also read this bullet doesn't engage the rifling any farther than a typical saami loaded 300 wsm but I'd like to know if that's true if anyone can verify.

ElPollo, I don't see any heavier DRT bullets than 175 grain on their site. Do you have a link?

z987k

WKR
I agree with @JDBAK on the ELDM and ELDX. If you really want a higher BC non-lead bullet, you might check ou the DRTs. They have 220ish and a 250ish grain 30 cal bullets with pretty good BCs. Form say they act like a Berger. I don’t have any direct experience with them. I believe @SouthPaw has used the 6.5s and .224s down to 1800 with good wound channels. I am considering trying the .224s this fall.
DRT lists quite a few bullets on their list of bullets and BC's but they don't actually have them. The only 30 cal they're currently making is the 175 and 135, which I'm pretty sure are the same exact dimensions, just one is copper and the other tungsten.

ElPollo, I don't see any heavier DRT bullets than 175 grain on their site. Do you have a link?
They don't have them.

z987k

WKR

For an even higher BC, 30 cal that needs a fast twist, but is lighter and will be faster to, check this one out.
These don't expand like a Barnes, they come apart.

ElPollo

WKR
DRT lists quite a few bullets on their list of bullets and BC's but they don't actually have them. The only 30 cal they're currently making is the 175 and 135, which I'm pretty sure are the same exact dimensions, just one is copper and the other tungsten.

They don't have them.
My bad. Their website is a pain to navigate. I just referenced their BC list. Personally, I think the 200 ELDX or 208 gr ELDM are great bullets for the WSM. I had a Tikka rebarreled to the caliber with a 1-9” twist. Sold it because there are no mastodons where I hunt and it was less than fun to shoot in a light weight rifle. The guy who bought it agrees with me.

z987k

WKR
My bad. Their website is a pain to navigate. I just referenced their BC list. Personally, I think the 200 ELDX or 208 gr ELDM are great bullets for the WSM. I had a Tikka rebarreled to the caliber with a 1-9” twist. Sold it because there are no mastodons where I hunt and it was less than fun to shoot in a light weight rifle. The guy who bought it agrees with me.
If you don't mind hunting with lead, I don't know why you'd use the DRT bullets. There's better lead bullets.
I've still yet to kill anything with a DRT, hope to remedy that here real soon, but I think they're going to turn out to be the best terminally performing lead-free.

ElPollo

WKR
If you don't mind hunting with lead, I don't know why you'd use the DRT bullets. There's better lead bullets.
I've still yet to kill anything with a DRT, hope to remedy that here real soon, but I think they're going to turn out to be the best terminally performing lead-free.
For me, it’s about where I am using them. I don’t know of any documentation of lead from meat being a problem for humans or mammalian scavengers or predators, just raptors and corvids. Most areas I hunt don’t have a lot of eagles and I can cover gut piles. Last time I hunted this area the eagles were on my gut piles almost immediately. I also just want to try the DRTs if I can get them to shoot well.