Tikka fluted barrel question

sdupontjr

WKR
Question on the tikka fluted barrel with 5/8 x 24 threads. See a few barrels online. Both 308 in stainless, both have 5/8 x 24 threads, 1 is fluted, the other is CTR. I know the weight and contour of the CTR, my question is about the fluted. Is the fluted barrel essentially a CTR contour that has had some weight removed or is the fluted barrel a sported barrel that is flared out to 5/8 x 24?

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
The fluted and factory threaded Tikka models have a contour that sits kinda halfway between those two. It's a consistently larger diameter blank through the whole profile (aside from the chamber) than the barrels used in the unthreaded Lite and Superlite lines, but it's not the same diameter as the CTR barrel.

I've owned two of the factory threaded barrels, one Lite, and put a few hundred rounds through a CTR, and I didn't really see any appreciable difference between the Lite contour and the medium contour as far as group consistency opening up as they heated. They're great barrels and they shot well, but I would not buy one over a Lite profile if all you're hoping for is a bump in consistency.

OP
S

sdupontjr

WKR
No not so much that. I'm really looking for a Stainless CTR barrel in 308 for the additional weight as well as adding a brake. Sure I can take a Lite barrel and have it threaded, but this is for a small kid and the weight is helpful in recoil. Trying to get him use to it with some felt recoil but still shooting a 308. Plus I have tons of 308 brass and loading supplies for it, and could also load reduced recoil loads. So i was just inquiring if there was in fact a difference.