Tikka ejector issues

eric1115

WKR
Quick question for the Tikka experts...

I lost the ejector out of my T3X. I noticed weak ejection/cases hitting the windage turret for probably 8 rounds the other day, followed by no ejection. Pulled the bolt out, and ejector/roll pin were gone. Spring was still in. Didn't find it in the tall grass or in the action or magazine.

Do you guys like the J&A factory, or the Lumley "upgraded" ejector? I assume they are about equal. Price is similar, and the Lumley is in a kit that includes an extractor as well.

Second question, any thoughts on this? 500ish rounds on the rifle, I've shot it with some moderate pressure signs early on (had some pressure increases during barrel speed up), but nothing extreme. Pierced one primer, some loads had somewhat heavy ejector marks, but never had very heavy bolt lift. I've since backed off and the last 300 rounds or so have been without issue.

Thoughts?

Lawnboi

WKR
Not common.

I have matches of hot rounds before I learned my lesson on an action with no issues. Still using it, and it’s closing in 6k rounds. Pierced primers can cause a lot of issues though when they piece gets somewhere it’s not supposed to be.

I’d order the factory, grab some other spare stuff while you’re there to make shipping worth it. I like to keep a firing pin, bolt stop and extra for hardware on hand.

Jimbee

WKR
I lost an ejector from a pierced or leaky Winchester primer. Replaced with Lumley.
This was how I learned of bad Winchester primer issue.

Jimbee

WKR
I’m confused how a pierced primer knocks loose a roll pin?
My son was shooting a 6.5CTR at a NRL Hunter match. His spent case failed to eject. I cycled the bolt a few times and it wouldn't grab the spent case. Upon further investigation, the extractor was gone. I swapped bolts with the Tikka I was shooting and pulled the case. The primer leaked, scarring the bolt face and apparently blew the extractor off. 20240718_215747.jpg20240719_093305.jpg

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I'm a bit baffled as to how it happened, as I don't understand how those gases would push that particular pin out (as well as the fact that the one pierced primer happened like 300 rounds ago).

I'll probably grab the kit that also includes extractor, for future just in case.

Jimbee

WKR
I think that people are getting ejector and extractor mixed up.

I too wonder how a pierced primer could cause you to lose the roll pin from the ejector. That should stay in place even if the front half of the ejector were to come off. Weird.
Yep, I meant extractor