Tikka D18 barrel Contour

Gila

WKR
Barrel maker wants to copy the Tikka D18 barrel Contour. I have a stock that has the inlet for the D18 barrel, but I don’t have a D18 barrel to copy. Does anyone have the barrel contour dimensions or know where I could get the dimensions? Thanks in advance.

I can go out and measure. What diam do you need?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

@Gila, did you get your barrel yet, and, if so, how did it fit? What barrel maker did you use?
No, I didn’t get the barrel yet. I did draw up the Tikka D18 barrel contour and they accepted it, so waiting on the barrel. Actually the barrel is supposed to be completed and with their gunsmith to install on my action. I went with McGowen because their price for a custom barrel contour is quite reasonable. If it fits the stock ok, I will send you the Tikka D18 contour drawing if you want it.

i don’t know…I didn’t weigh the action before the ‘smith screwed on the barrel. It is between a medium and heavy contour. I have 8 spiral flutes though which takes a couple ounces nmore off than the standard straight flutes. Points well, very nicely balanced.

Sorry to hop on this thread but here’s my story and I feel it’s pertinent. Not fully knowing about the Tikka D18 contour I started my project. I sent a T3 barreled action in 270 to McGowen barrels to be rebarreled to 280ai along with a new Ember stock with the idea, intention and instructions to have the barrel contour to match the inletting of the new Ember stock and fluted like the factory Ember barrel. I received the new Ember stock back from them a week later. After a few months and paying the balance I received the barreled action. The contour matched the old barrel. So suffice it say, the barrel channel is very well free floated. I purchased several components from J&A Outdoors and I emailed him today about my experience and to help me clarify what happened in this situation. Wes, informed me about the D18 contour that Tikka uses on the Ember. Needless to say, I wish I knew about the D18 contour nine months ago and perhaps if I informed McGowen to do my barrel in the D18 contour instead of the way I did it, my project would be the way I wanted it done.

They will match the contour of the barrel they take off if you don’t specify a barrel contour for the new barrel. If the barrel contour that you want isn’t something they can copy, then they need a drawing for the custom contour. Having said that, they should have contacted you if they didn’t have a drawing that they could use. Their customer service, how should I say, leaves much to be desired. At least you have a lighter barrel. You can get the Stocky’s carbon VG for your lite barrel contour. In fact they are running a special discount right now: Use coupon code 30rokslide to take 30% off

Last edited:
They will match the contour of the barrel they take off if you don’t specify a barrel contour for the new barrel. If the barrel contour that you want isn’t something they can copy, then they need a drawing for the custom contour. Having said that, they should have contacted you if they didn’t have a drawing that they could use. Their customer service, how should I say, leaves much to be desired. At least you have a lighter barrel. You can get the Stocky’s carbon VG for your lite barrel contour. In fact they are running a special discount right now: Use coupon code 30rokslide to take 30% off
You know what they say about “hindsight “, although I did try to be thorough with my instructions without actually knowing the exact dimensions of the proper barrel size.

No, I didn’t get the barrel yet. I did draw up the Tikka D18 barrel contour and they accepted it, so waiting on the barrel. Actually the barrel is supposed to be completed and with their gunsmith to install on my action. I went with McGowen because their price for a custom barrel contour is quite reasonable. If it fits the stock ok, I will send you the Tikka D18 contour drawing if you want it.
@Gila Is there any chance you still have the Tikka D18 contour drawing you can send?

Back