WTB Tikka Factory D18/ember/SS fluted 6.5C barrel

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looking for a 6.5 Creedmoor factory barrel. Needs to be thicker (D18 profile) fluted type of SS. Ember, veil, wildland, etc. I’m not positive the roughtechs are SS.

Thanks.

matthewmt

WKR
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Roughtech, veil are cerakote and ember model is SS.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know veil and wildland are cerakoted SS (have them). Ember is straight SS. I’m not confident roughtech (non ember ) is SS. It is cerakoted but guessing chrome moly. This is based on conflicting forum posts and price differences between roughtech ($1100) and others ($1250-1300). Typically the SS models sell for more than the chrome moly by $100-150 on the entire lineup.

Link below to what “I believe” is a non SS roughtech model.

Last edited:

pucmw11

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know veil and wildland are cerakoted SS (have them). Ember is straight SS. I’m not confident roughtech (non ember ) is SS. It is cerakoted but guessing chrome moly. This is based on conflicting forum posts and price differences between roughtech ($1100) and others ($1250-1300). Typically the SS models sell for more than the chrome moly by $100-150 on the entire lineup.

Link below to what “I believe” is a non SS roughtech model.

Yeah, Tikka lists the tan web and black web roughtech's as "Black steel"...who knows what that means.
Only the roughtech ember is specifically listed as stainless steel.
The super varmint is tungsten ceracote.
The veil and veil wildland are like a cream (Desert Verde) or brown (Midnight Bronze) cerakote depending on choice.

1701908468748.png

If you're specifically wanting "Stainless fluted barrel", that is only offered in these three:
1701908558426.png

Clicking into each, you get the:
- Roughtech ember in right or left hand (2 options)
- Hunter stainless fluted in right or left hand (2 options)
- Superlite in 22.4"/24.3" barrel and right or left hand (4 options)

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Yeah, Tikka lists the tan web and black web roughtech's as "Black steel"...who knows what that means.
Only the roughtech ember is specifically listed as stainless steel.
The super varmint is tungsten ceracote.
The veil and veil wildland are like a cream (Desert Verde) or brown (Midnight Bronze) cerakote depending on choice.

View attachment 637995

If you're specifically wanting "Stainless fluted barrel", that is only offered in these three:
View attachment 637996

Clicking into each, you get the:
- Roughtech ember in right or left hand (2 options)
- Hunter stainless fluted in right or left hand (2 options)
- Superlite in 22.4"/24.3" barrel and right or left hand (4 options)
That’s helpful thank you.

I’m fine with cerakote. As long as it’s over stainless. I “think” all those listed as not “black steel” are actually cerakote over stainless.

Wasn’t tracking the “hunter” may dig into that.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
What price are you willing to pay?

I just bought a 6.5CM Ember. I'm torn because it's a gorgeous rifle that I kind of don't want to molest, however I want to run a cheek riser and chop the barrel to run a suppressor.

Maybe I just need to buy a regular SS 6.5CM Tikka and leave the ember as it came.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Probably not more than $250 for a new or less than 50 round barrel.

Had someone offer a full rifle yesterday but honestly just want the barrel. With a few local discounts and the rebate going on I could get one new without fees close to $900 (think most could get more from other buyers). But I don’t need a new gun. Just a heavier barrel for some shooting comps.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'll have to mull it over. I did barrel break-in with 30 rounds, all chrono'd and slow strings with a proper bore-guided cleaning before/after.

Federal American Eagle 120gr for 2846 fps average. The box lists 2900 fps so this Tikka doesn't seem to have the notoriously slow Tikka barrel. I wonder if all Roughtechs shoot a bit faster than standard T3X Lites?

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'll have to mull it over. I did barrel break-in with 30 rounds, all chrono'd and slow strings with a proper bore-guided cleaning before/after.

Federal American Eagle 120gr for 2846 fps average. The box lists 2900 fps so this Tikka doesn't seem to have the notoriously slow Tikka barrel. I wonder if all Roughtechs shoot a bit faster than standard T3X Lites?
All good.

Slowness on normal tikkas is from the throat being longer than SAAMI. (Pressure chamber is bigger than it should be and slows bullet down). If it isn’t the same chamber it would speed it up a good amount. I’d have to imagine it is….but who knows (I hope it is!).

pucmw11

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What price are you willing to pay?

I just bought a 6.5CM Ember. I'm torn because it's a gorgeous rifle that I kind of don't want to molest, however I want to run a cheek riser and chop the barrel to run a suppressor.

Maybe I just need to buy a regular SS 6.5CM Tikka and leave the ember as it came.
How's the ember in person?!? I am right on the fence on the exact same rifle, same caliber, here in the next week or so. I only really plan to do trigger spring, vertical tikka grip, and maybe that hunter rail from salmon river solutions. How's the stock in person?

pucmw11

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good.

Slowness on normal tikkas is from the throat being longer than SAAMI. (Pressure chamber is bigger than it should be and slows bullet down). If it isn’t the same chamber it would speed it up a good amount. I’d have to imagine it is….but who knows (I hope it is!).
Any idea what the benefit is from Tikka doing that? I've always heard they shoot slow, but never really the "why" until now.

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No clue to be honest. I actually love it….but I also hand load.

The extra distance between the lands mean you can load another .2” longer or so. Longer means more powder without necessary more pressure (litz wrote a good Berger article on it a few years back). For me in my 6.5C it almost bridges gap to PRC. Enough to keep me from it.

But yes factory is very slow.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How's the ember in person?!? I am right on the fence on the exact same rifle, same caliber, here in the next week or so. I only really plan to do trigger spring, vertical tikka grip, and maybe that hunter rail from salmon river solutions. How's the stock in person?

I'm loving it so far. Beautiful rifle that's almost perfect but I'm struggling with modify or no modify. To be perfect I'd drill into the butt too install a cheek riser and chop the barrel a half dozen inches.

I might just swap it into my Veil stock and drill that one instead. I wish I had just bought a regular stainless model so I'd have no qualms.

Either way it's amazing. Shooting half MOA out past 220 yds so far.

pucmw11

FNG
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm loving it so far. Beautiful rifle that's almost perfect but I'm struggling with modify or no modify. To be perfect I'd drill into the butt too install a cheek riser and chop the barrel a half dozen inches.

I might just swap it into my Veil stock and drill that one instead. I wish I had just bought a regular stainless model so I'd have no qualms.

Either way it's amazing. Shooting half MOA out past 220 yds so far.
I am looking forward to it! I'm thinking about going in the other direction and going loud. Thinking APA little bastard or hellfire match and see if I can get it soft enough to watch the impacts in the scope. I've never had a 6.5cm so I am not sure how much free recoil I need to mitigate to get it to that point. Can one get 6.5cm soft enough suppressed to watch the impacts? Could see inleting the stock, putting a proof prefit on it, and slapping a can on that. That could be cool!

OP
Tahoe1305

Tahoe1305

WKR
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hoping to make a deal with a local guy on one, but bumping in case that falls through.

@swavescatter if you want to pick up a cheaper factory lite barrel (un fluted) you can chop away with little fear of getting in the flutes…..then sell me your fat one!