Tikka 7mm PRC?

shortside

FNG
I'm going to wait [I think šŸ˜‰ ]. I have a handful of other rifles that will allow me to harvest anything I desire in North America. But I recently acquired a Win Mod 70 300WM push-feed for a song...it might need to be re-barreled šŸ˜
I have found those push feed Winchesters to shoot really well!

Unckebob

WKR
Preferred Barrel Blanks has a Tikka 7PRC prefit barrel made and ready for sale. According to the email they sent me, everythingbwill be 10% off on Black Friday.

I have no idea as to your question. I just thought I would pass it along.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I put a Proof 7 PRC barrel on my Tikka earlier this year and have been very happy with the cartridge/action combo. I havenā€™t loaded anything heavier than the 175 eldx but had no issues touching the lands and fitting in the mags. I really like that bullet for hunting and donā€™t plan on changing anytime soon. Shoots great! I would definitely consider rebarreling a Tikka instead of waiting for them to offer it from the factory.

I put a Proof 7 PRC barrel on my Tikka earlier this year and have been very happy with the cartridge/action combo. I havenā€™t loaded anything heavier than the 175 eldx but had no issues touching the lands and fitting in the mags. I really like that bullet for hunting and donā€™t plan on changing anytime soon. Shoots great! I would definitely consider rebarreling a Tikka instead of waiting for them to offer it from the factory.
What magazine are you using?

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I should have clarified that I'm using the Mountain Tactical magazines, kind of forgot about that! Had a buddy borrow my factory mag last year on an elk hunt and haven't seen it since so I can't confirm whether or not they fit in a factory mag. My COAL touching the lands is 3.356" in my rifle with the 175 ELD-X and my initial load was .014" off that so 3.342".

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
Max COAL for a factory mag is supposedly 3.340" but I do remember measuring mine at some point and it was like 3.360" or 3.380" IIRC. Could you confirm this @goathunter ?

OP
T
Hereā€™s another ideaā€¦ as much as I want a Tikka, I also have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge in 7mm rem mag that I was going to sell to my brother but maybe I wonā€™t. The two options are I cut the barrel down from 24ā€ (20ā€?) because the gun feels too long with a suppressor on it. Or, get a new barrel for it and convert it to a 7mm PRC. Is a 20ā€ barrel feasible/reasonable for either cartridge? Or am I crazy? Again, I donā€™t have intentions of shooting farther than 500-600 yards absolute max, but I crave accuracy and would like the gun to be a little easier to handle.

Fat_hog

FNG
I shoot only tikka and sako. They were quick to pick up the 6.5 prc. Hopefully theyā€™ll do the same with the 7. Evolved ballistics does have a 7prc prefit that Iā€™ve been considering.

OP
T
I shoot only tikka and sako. They were quick to pick up the 6.5 prc. Hopefully theyā€™ll do the same with the 7. Evolved ballistics does have a 7prc prefit that Iā€™ve been considering.
What would it cost to put a 7 prc barrel on a tikka? Roughly

What would it cost to put a 7 prc barrel on a tikka? Roughly
If you have the tools to fit it your self it's just the price of the prefit. if you need someone install a new barrel, preferred for steel is roughly 6-700$ for a new custom steel barrel with that service included

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Hereā€™s another ideaā€¦ as much as I want a Tikka, I also have a Bergara B-14 Wilderness Ridge in 7mm rem mag that I was going to sell to my brother but maybe I wonā€™t. The two options are I cut the barrel down from 24ā€ (20ā€?) because the gun feels too long with a suppressor on it. Or, get a new barrel for it and convert it to a 7mm PRC. Is a 20ā€ barrel feasible/reasonable for either cartridge? Or am I crazy? Again, I donā€™t have intentions of shooting farther than 500-600 yards absolute max, but I crave accuracy and would like the gun to be a little easier to handle.
20ā€ in 7 PRC is doable. I debated this heavily before ordering my barrel, it handles fine (suppressor changes balance point significantly).

Also if your only rly shooting 5-600 yards max theres no real benefit to 7prc vs 7rem max but the suppressor ready browning 7prc seem like a nice option if you were to sell the bergara. I certainly woudnt pay all that just to rebarrel the bergara.

OP
T
Also if your only rly shooting 5-600 yards max theres no real benefit to 7prc vs 7rem max but the suppressor ready browning 7prc seem like a nice option if you were to sell the bergara. I certainly woudnt pay all that just to rebarrel the bergara.
I canā€™t argue that at my intended hunting ranges it wonā€™t matter between the two but I like the idea of heavier bullets and what should be better accuracy/precision right? This is more of a concern for elk hunting. Not worried about whitetails.

I canā€™t argue that at my intended hunting ranges it wonā€™t matter between the two but I like the idea of heavier bullets and what should be better accuracy/precision right? This is more of a concern for elk hunting. Not worried about whitetails.
A 6.5 will wreck an elk at those distances.

Better accuracy is not cartridge specific. Some may be more likely to shoot well but it's no guarantee when comparing rifle to rifle.

I have a 20" 7 PRC on a Tikka action and after reading more on this forum I kind of wish I would have went with a 6.5 PRC. If I wasn't trying to spend less on gear I would probably switch it.

OP
T

Better accuracy is not cartridge specific. Some may be more likely to shoot well but it's no guarantee when comparing rifle to rifle.

I have a 20" 7 PRC on a Tikka action and after reading more on this forum I kind of wish I would have went with a 6.5 PRC. If I wasn't trying to spend less on gear I would probably switch it.
Iā€™ve considered a 6.5 PRC as well

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider

What don't you like about your 7PRC? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about building an 18-20 inch 7PRC on a Tikka action.

What don't you like about your 7PRC? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about building an 18-20 inch 7PRC on a Tikka action.
I don't dislike it. I'm just realizing that a 6.5 PRC would have been just fine and more enjoyable to shoot, easier to spot hits. I'm not going to be shooting at animals far enough for the caliber difference to matter.

pucmw11

FNG
Love this...I'm at that point of, "Either tikka will offer a 7prc by shot show, or I'll buy the 7mm rem mag and the prefit and do it myself". That proof prefit just looking too nice. :)