Tikka 7mm PRC?

Gila

WKR
I think it leans toward “if”. Most hand-loaders won’t touch a tikka action if they intend to handload a “Long Action” cartridge these days. The magazine and the action itself is just too short to optimize loads for heavy, VLD bullets in a long action cartridge such as the 7 PRC or 300 win mag. Tikkas are very popular for all of the right reasons. I think Hornady made a mistake by making the case too long for the 7 PRC. JOMHO. Time will tell though.

OP
T
I think it leans toward “if”. Most hand-loaders won’t touch a tikka action if they intend to handload a “Long Action” cartridge these days. The magazine and the action itself is just too short to optimize loads for heavy, VLD bullets in a long action cartridge such as the 7 PRC or 300 win mag. Tikkas are very popular for all of the right reasons. I think Hornady made a mistake by making the case too long for the 7 PRC. JOMHO. Time will tell though.
What other rifles chambered in 7 prc would you recommend? Or do you think Tikka is the way to go, perhaps in a different caliber? I’m looking up to $1200 or so.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone heard if and when Tikka will offer a rifle chambered in 7mm PRC?
I thought I read rumor of sometime next year but I can’t remember where I saw it. Tikka is a little late on new cartridges as they wait for them to be CIP approved which is europes version of saami. 7 prc wasn’t on the cip list last I checked.

And the 7 prc is perfect for 175/180 bullets in a tikka, yes even for handloaders. 180 Berger vld is 3.34” toaching lands in a saami reamer. I used mansons saami reamer on mine which has a little wider base dimension built in to hopefully avoid clickers which is the downfall to all the prc cartridges

A quick mag swap gets you to 3.4” cartridge length available. 195 Berger is a touch long at 3.45” I think, but if I wanted to shoot that bullet I’d prefer a 28 nosler anyways

If you don’t want to wait to see if tikka offers it, maybe check out browning in your price range. My buddy has a couple of their x bolts and he seems to really like them.

Last edited:
Seekins PH2 or Element are great. I have a Christensen Ridgeline FFT in 7PRC and despite a lot of the hate they get around here, it has been a great, accurate rifle for me.

I know I for one would you pick up one of those Tikkas in 7mm PRC.
All of my tikka’s have treating me really well.
It wouldn’t be so popular if they weren’t good quality for the money.
Following the thread to see if there’s any other 7mm PRC that people like.
I would love to try a second to myself.

Gila

WKR
What other rifles chambered in 7 prc would you recommend? Or do you think Tikka is the way to go, perhaps in a different caliber? I’m looking up to $1200 or so.
I only know Tikkas. Been shooting them for decades. The paradigm shift to High BC, low drag bullets puts long action cases out of vogue. I have ditched my .270 win for a 6.8 Western and my 300 win mag for a .284 Winchester. It all depends on what you want to do with the 7 PRC. If you want to confine your self with loading 175-180 gr bullets then a Tikka action may work for you. The 7 PRC is a good long range precision cartridge. If you are wanting to wring out the long range performance of the 7 PRC, you may want to shoot something heavier and longer than a 180 VLD. If I was to go with a 7 PRC, I would want a rifle that had an action and magazine length, barrel twist capable of shooting something like the 195 EOL. I know that a rifle like a Christiansen Arms for example, is that type of a rifle.

Tikka really needs to go with faster twists, open up their actions and magazines to get into 21st Century shooting!

I'm holding out until 2024 for a 7PRC. Kinda have narrowed it down to a Browning Xbolt (possibly the suppressor ready version). Would seriously consider picking up another Tikka if they came out with the 7PRC next year. I'm hopeful they release one soon but their European traditions are slow to pivot from.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
I only know Tikkas. Been shooting them for decades. The paradigm shift to High BC, low drag bullets puts long action cases out of vogue. I have ditched my .270 win for a 6.8 Western and my 300 win mag for a .284 Winchester. It all depends on what you want to do with the 7 PRC. If you want to confine your self with loading 175-180 gr bullets then a Tikka action may work for you. The 7 PRC is a good long range precision cartridge. If you are wanting to wring out the long range performance of the 7 PRC, you may want to shoot something heavier and longer than a 180 VLD. If I was to go with a 7 PRC, I would want a rifle that had an action and magazine length, barrel twist capable of shooting something like the 195 EOL. I know that a rifle like a Christiansen Arms for example, is that type of a rifle.

Tikka really needs to go with faster twists, open up their actions and magazines to get into 21st Century shooting!
You say confine yourself, I say maximizing a tikkas potential.😉.

Run the numbers of a 175 Berger at 3000 and a 195 at 2850. 195 has maybe 100 ft pounds and just a touch better in the wind. 175 is flatter out to 1000. The 7 prc cartridge doesn’t have enough speed to make a 195 worth it. Why hinder the 195 in a prc cartridge. Something like a 28 nosler would be what you want the 195 in.

I agree! I’d love a tikka capable of a longer magazine as well for the likes of a 28 or 30 nosler! I have 30 nosler built on a custom and I’d just as soon have it built on a tikka if a tikka was capable….maybe someday, a guy can dream

Last edited:

shortside

FNG
I am starting my own 7 PRC build on a Tikka. Building a mid-weight intended to be suppressed. All else being equal, I prefer the Tikkas for many, many reasons. Great triggers, ergos and decent aftermarket stock options. I am screwing on a Bartlein barrel to get things started.

OP
T
Honestly a 7 PRC is probably overkill for my intended purposes. I don’t plan to shoot more than 500-600 yards out west but most of my hunting is whitetails in Wisconsin where my shots range 20-350 yards. Probably 150-200 most of the time. I know just about any caliber will do the job but I would rather have fewer guns and have more versatility. I have a 6.5 creedmoor for that I like because it’s a rack driver but personally don’t want to hunt anything bigger than mule deer with it. I also have a 7mm rem mag that shoots pretty good but it has sentimental value and I’m nervous about taking it on trips out west and beating it up. My goal is to get one more gun that will cover whitetail to elk and accuracy is priority number 1. I’m far from an expert, which is why I’m asking questions on here. I’ve heard nothing but good things on Tikkas and love the action. So, hold out for a 7prc or pick a different caliber they already offer?

Gila

WKR
i don’t think you can beat a tikka T3x Lite chambered in .308 for what you want to do. That is a go anywhere, shoot anything rifle out here. I used a 270 Win for decades. I harvested primarily pronghorn but deer, elk everything went down on the first shot. That was with a 22 inch barrel and was very easy to hike with. The .270 win loaded to mag length was a very flat shooter.

shortside

FNG
I sure hope the speculation and rumors are true. Mid next year? I am not going to wait... building one now.

Gila

WKR
Tikka usually announces their new offerings before the shot show, but not always. These days everyone wants the newest, biggest, fastest, hardest hitting cartridge at a thousand yards. I haven’t heard of any “stellar” performance with 7 PRC factory ammo but it’s all new stuff. Anyway, it’s not for me. The 7 PRC doesn’t offer me any hunting advantages over the rifles I already have. I guess if a hunter wants a heavy hitting cartridge In a heavy rifle that will kick the crap out of the shoulder, and they don’t mind spending a fortune on ammunition when they can find it; the 7 PRC might be a consideration.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka usually announces their new offerings before the shot show, but not always. These days everyone wants the newest, biggest, fastest, hardest hitting cartridge at a thousand yards. I haven’t heard of any “stellar” performance with 7 PRC factory ammo but it’s all new stuff. Anyway, it’s not for me. The 7 PRC doesn’t offer me any hunting advantages over the rifles I already have. I guess if a hunter wants a heavy hitting cartridge In a heavy rifle that will kick the crap out of the shoulder, and they don’t mind spending a fortune on ammunition when they can find it; the 7 PRC might be a consideration.
We get it, you’re not a fan of the prc. Obviously it’s not for you but it works exactly for what some people are looking for. Would be nice if you’d just move on instead of insulting fellow shooters and hunters for their wants and needs in a rifle. Not sure why you have to keep bashing on these threads when you have no interest in the cartridge.

Gila

WKR
I am not insulting anyone….can’t see how you could even read into that. I am not bashing anyone, never have and don’t ever intend too. Simply exposing the cons of a cartridge is not bashing anyone. And I don’t appreciate being flamed for it either. If I remember correctly, on another thread I explained why I chose the 6.8 Western over the 7 PRC….you flamed me for that too. I will post want I feel like posting, regardless if you like it or not. People will make up their own minds and so will I.
——————————————————————————————————————————————-
Tikka will offer a cartridge only if they think they can get enough of the market share. Some Hand-loaders like me will not consider buying a Tikka T3 action for a long action cartridge. The reason is that the Tikka action will not feed a cartridge longer than 3.5“. The Tikka magazine is max at 3.37”. You can get magazines for a Tikka that will feed any cartridge long or short, up to 3.4”. Some hand loaders are okay with loading up to the length that will fit in the Tikka magazine. I am not one of them and there are many others like me. I have already stated that the 7 PRC is a good cartridge. I will even go as far as to say that the 7 PRC is an excellent long range cartridge, because it is. If I wanted a 7 PRC, I would go buy a Christiansen Arms barreled action and drop it into a good stock. Because the rifle would be good to go for cartridges in excess of 3.6” COAL.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
You just have a way of telling people how they’re wrong based on your opinion that rubs me the wrong way.

I never flamed you for the 6.8, I think it’d be a great cartridge when it gets quality brass available, which is all I commented on in that thread.

Gonna send a pm to not sidetrack thread anymore

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I am not insulting anyone….can’t see how you could even read into that. I am not bashing anyone, never have and don’t ever intend too. Simply exposing the cons of a cartridge is not bashing anyone. And I don’t appreciate being flamed for it either. If I remember correctly, on another thread I explained why I chose the 6.8 Western over the 7 PRC….you flamed me for that too. I will post want I feel like posting, regardless if you like it or not. People will make up their own minds and so will I.
——————————————————————————————————————————————-
Tikka will offer a cartridge only if they think they can get enough of the market share. Some Hand-loaders like me will not consider buying a Tikka T3 action for a long action cartridge. The reason is that the Tikka action will not feed a cartridge longer than 3.5“. The Tikka magazine is max at 3.37”. You can get magazines for a Tikka that will feed any cartridge long or short, up to 3.4”. Some hand loaders are okay with loading up to the length that will fit in the Tikka magazine. I am not one of them and there are many others like me. I have already stated that the 7 PRC is a good cartridge. I will even go as far as to say that the 7 PRC is an excellent long range cartridge, because it is. If I wanted a 7 PRC, I would go buy a Christiansen Arms barreled action and drop it into a good stock. Because the rifle would be good to go for cartridges in excess of 3.6” COAL.
Gila it's the presentation, which comes across negatively.
"I guess if a hunter wants a heavy hitting cartridge In a heavy rifle that will kick the crap out of the shoulder, and they don’t mind spending a fortune on ammunition when they can find it; the 7 PRC might be a consideration." It is a veiled criticism whether intended or not.

You are pretty consistent with jumping into threads and making similar statements on 7 PRC. Ammo is not that expensive, VERY readily available, and with a decent weight rifle and a muzzle device, no biggie.

All that said - you have extremely knowledgable and detailed input that is very worthwhile and appreciated, even when the opinions are different. I think that can help a lot of people. But they aren't dumb just because they do not want to do it your way, or use something you do not value.

Last edited:
I sure hope the speculation and rumors are true. Mid next year? I am not going to wait... building one now.
I'm going to wait [I think 😉 ]. I have a handful of other rifles that will allow me to harvest anything I desire in North America. But I recently acquired a Win Mod 70 300WM push-feed for a song...it might need to be re-barreled 😁