Tikka 6MM ARC / 6.5 Grendel

Rooggvc

WKR
Anyone ever had a Tikka 223 bolt face opened up to accept 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC?

Why not jump to 6/6.5 creed? Unless your getting a howa mini action I can't see much of a point of a bolt gun in a cartridge made to fit in an ar platform.

Because you can squeeze even more performance out of it. The Grendel does great in a bolt gun. As does a .223.

Juan_ID

WKR
I just had my tikka 223 bolt opened up to run 6arc. Should have the barrel in a couple weeks so hopefully by mid May I’ll have an update.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I just had my tikka 223 bolt opened up to run 6arc. Should have the barrel in a couple weeks so hopefully by mid May I’ll have an update.
That would be awesome to hear about. Did you have a local smith do the work?

I agree with other posts with a tikka you have one action size which is basically long. I would consider either a 6 creedmoor or 6.5 creedmoor and load it accordingly for your kids.

Juan_ID

WKR
That would be awesome to hear about. Did you have a local smith do the work?
Yes, I had a local smith do it. $100, so minus that I’m in it a new barrel. Spoke with a handful of people that had done it previously without issues. The brass conversion is easy if going arc, size and trim. Most I talked to said it wasn’t worth the trouble but I see no trouble so I pursued it.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Yes, I had a local smith do it. $100, so minus that I’m in it a new barrel. Spoke with a handful of people that had done it previously without issues. The brass conversion is easy if going arc, size and trim. Most I talked to said it wasn’t worth the trouble but I see no trouble so I pursued it.
What stock and mags do you plan on running?

sram9102

WKR
So no 223’s in a standard short bolt action?
I have a 223 tikka I understand the appeal. Just seems like the hassle of milling the bolt isn't worth the squeeze. Don't get me wrong, my home state doesn't let us deer hunt with a 223. I have thought about a 6 arc for a while. Just not in a bolt gun. Lefty and righty for that matter 223 tikka bolts seem difficult to come by.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I have a 223 tikka I understand the appeal. Just seems like the hassle of milling the bolt isn't worth the squeeze. Don't get me wrong, my home state doesn't let us deer hunt with a 223. I have thought about a 6 arc for a while. Just not in a bolt gun. Lefty and righty for that matter 223 tikka bolts seem difficult to come by.

I get it, but bolts are available and a good performing 6mm with readily available excellent factory ammo, that also has the barrel life of a 308 is a thing that has been missing. Quite frankly for nearly everyone the 6ARC could be a one and done rifle.

Oldffemt

WKR
I have my son shooting a Grendel for hunting purposes. 6arc wasn’t around when I put this rifle together (it’s an ar, not a tikka). He’s solid with it from field positions to ~350yds. From a bench I’ve seen him make first round hits to 700 yds. I’m loading a 107tmk over H335. Haven’t set up my labradar in a while but it’s on my list of things to do. I’m a big fan of these 7.62x39 based rounds.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I want to take my .223 mag and see if I could fit the 6mm ARC rounds in it. I haven’t played with the ARC so I don’t know it it’s possible.