Tikka 300WM/7PRC build advice

jables

FNG
I am a newish hunter and have been soaking up information from all of the fine helpful folks. I would appreciate some advice before I jump in with both feet:

Purpose: Colorado Elk Hunting
I want to buy a Tikka 7PRC but they don't make one yet. So my goal (and please correct me if I'm screwing something up) is to buy a Tikka T3X Lite in 300 win mag and put a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 scope on it for this (and probably next) year. I will also have my gunsmith thread it for a muzzle brake

After this hunting season I will rebarrel it to 7 PRC with a 20" Preferred barrel blanks (carbon fiber?) barrel, keeping the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 and putting it into an aftermarket stock.

Buying the rifle and having it threaded will be $900 before taxes.

Ammo:
Nosler 190gr Accubond LR Trophy Grade 300 win mag ammo

My questions:
-22" or 24" Tikka barrel?
-Am I being a moron? (probably lol)
-Has Tikka said anything about a 7 PRC?
-What muzzle brake would y'all suggest for one/two seasons? One gunsmith suggested a 5/8x24 with a Area 419 muzzle brake

Much appreciated!

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
My official advice is to look really hard at a 6.5 PRC Tikka Lite Roughtech, and swap to a Nightforce or Trijicon scope and just accept they are heavy. The Vortex is nice, but their track record for long lasting gear is not so nice.

Otherwise, to get to a 7mm PRC, you have a decent plan. That said, I think the 6.5 PRC will handle any critter you will want to slay.

Jeremy

My advice is you are setting yourself up with too much rifle. I’m assuming newish hunter also means newish shooter. A 300wm or 7prc is hard recoiling and will never allow you to learn good marksmanship. A 6.5 cm is plenty for elk and will be much more reasonably shooting.

LightFoot

WKR
I am a newish hunter and have been soaking up information from all of the fine helpful folks. I would appreciate some advice before I jump in with both feet:

Purpose: Colorado Elk Hunting
I want to buy a Tikka 7PRC but they don't make one yet. So my goal (and please correct me if I'm screwing something up) is to buy a Tikka T3X Lite in 300 win mag and put a Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 scope on it for this (and probably next) year. I will also have my gunsmith thread it for a muzzle brake

After this hunting season I will rebarrel it to 7 PRC with a 20" Preferred barrel blanks (carbon fiber?) barrel, keeping the Vortex Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 and putting it into an aftermarket stock.

Buying the rifle and having it threaded will be $900 before taxes.

Ammo:
Nosler 190gr Accubond LR Trophy Grade 300 win mag ammo

My questions:
-22" or 24" Tikka barrel?
-Am I being a moron? (probably lol)
-Has Tikka said anything about a 7 PRC?
-What muzzle brake would y'all suggest for one/two seasons? One gunsmith suggested a 5/8x24 with a Area 419 muzzle brake

Much appreciated!

You’re overthinking. Get one of the threaded and cerakoted Tikkas in 7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win. Use UM tikka rings. Get a self-timing side port brake (like APA lil bastard. Go hunting.

When you are not a “newish hunter” you can rebarrel to 7PRC or stick with what you have. At that time, you want want or need our advice.

And don’t get hung up on one factory load. Let the rifle tell you what to shoot. Lots of great factory load options.

>>>——JAKE——>

LightFoot

WKR
Also see this: Let's See Your Semi-Custom Tikka Builds

>>>——JAKE——>

You can now get the Tikka T3X Lite Stainless $879 or Blued $749 in 6.5prc in the USA. Before the only option was the roughtech or ember models which are $1400+.

Buy from Unknown Munitions and you can have them cut and thread before shipping. Buy a Ti Pro brake while you are at it.

6.5prc with 147gr ELD-M bullets is all you need.

OP
J

jables

FNG
I do appreciate all the advice and will research and consider everything. Truth be told tho I decided against 6.5 PRC in favor of a touch more oomph to bag game at distance for where and what we hunt in Colorado.

My advice is you are setting yourself up with too much rifle. I’m assuming newish hunter also means newish shooter. A 300wm or 7prc is hard recoiling and will never allow you to learn good marksmanship. A 6.5 cm is plenty for elk and will be much more reasonably shooting.
I've been shooting for 20+ years, just recently got into hunting after being very fortunate and getting into a good group. None of my rifles are hunting oriented for the beatdowns that we hike in Colorado. I want to buy once cry once with my hunting rifle setup while also not spending the $5700 everybody else has into their rig. My heart is set on 7PRC and my budget has me considering the Tikka/Vortex route

Last edited:

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a Tikka of your choice from UM. Have them pull the barrel and chamber an ACE barrel in 7PRC. Have them cut and thread it to 20 inches. Forget the muzzle break and put a suppressor on it.
Done!

eric1115

WKR
Why 7PRC?

What do you see as your max range on game?

Do you hand load, or do you need factory ammo availability?

What other rifles do you have to practice with, and how many practice (focused precision) rounds do you shoot per year?