Tikka 223 trainer

TxLite

WKR
Apologies, should have been more specific. Just for practice so far, haven’t tried to kill anything with them yet.

Mostly been using 73 ELD-M for hunting.
All good. I’ve been eyeing the AAC stuff so I was curious

ElPollo

WKR
I have been having pretty good success with the AAC 77gr OTM. It goes on sale pretty regularly for .55 cpr.
On sale now for that price, but by the box only. No cases available. That’s a pretty good deal. I’ve used the 75 gr Hornady Frontier for range ammo in the past, but it seems hard to get now.

Did you need the adapter to get 1/2” or did you go 5/8”?

I have a compact inbound and was planning to cut to 16” and thread 1/2”
I just had my tikka .223 cut to 16 1/2” and the smith said he could go 5/8 but I already had a 9/16 tbac adapter so I went that route.

ElPollo

WKR
I just had my tikka .223 cut to 16 1/2” and the smith said he could go 5/8 but I already had a 9/16 tbac adapter so I went that route.
everything I’ve had threaded lately is 1/2x28. The reflex on my AB Raptor is 5/8”, but I just use one of their adapters.

TxLite

WKR
I was planning on adding an asr brake so I could go either route. I was going to go 1/2” out of habit for 22 cals

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
On sale now for that price, but by the box only. No cases available. That’s a pretty good deal. I’ve used the 75 gr Hornady Frontier for range ammo in the past, but it seems hard to get now.
I don’t think I’ve seen them offer it by the case, could be wrong though. I normally order 1K at a time and it comes as a case in the original box, no mixed lot #’s or anything.

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I have been having pretty good success with the AAC 77gr OTM. It goes on sale pretty regularly for .55 cpr.
I know it’s been covered in the past, but I imagine there shouldn’t be any issue with shooting 556 ammo out of a tikka 223?

wesfromky

WKR
Thanks for the heads up - just ordered a few hundred rounds.

waspocrew

Lil-Rokslider
The AAC ammo is great - I’ve shot the 62 gr tipped ammo out of my Tikka CTR and it’s hell on rock chucks, p dogs, etc. The 75 gr tipped ammo came back in stock a couple weekends ago and I snagged another 100 rounds or so.

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I opened up the barrel channel a bit (recommended by a friend), and added a vertical grip. Out of curiosity how many of you think opening the barrel channel is necessary on a tikka?

MattB

WKR
I recently tried out the AAC 77 gr OTM and the 75 gr. BTHP and the 75 grainers were much more accurate in my Tikka.

ElPollo

WKR
I recently tried out the AAC 77 gr OTM and the 75 gr. BTHP and the 75 grainers were much more accurate in my Tikka.
I tried the AAC 75 gr blacktip over the weekend. They were 2.5” for a 20 round group. BH 77gr TMK and a couple other loads were easily an inch tighter in terms of groups, but we’re more than double the cost. Reasonable practice ammo for a reasonable cost, but I would stick to the black hills for anything with hair.