Tikka 223 (bolt) or Henry LR Express 223/556 (lever)?

Even though some have commented their Tikka 223 shoots 556, Tikka doesn’t endorse it!

To be fair, Tikka also do not endorse shooting reloaded ammunition. At least, the manuals that came with my rifles specified "Only use factory-loaded, new ammunition manufactured to industry specifications..."

Dang. Didn’t know about that Henry. Sweet rig. If anyone ever came up with a version that could handle AR mags, that would be something.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Lever actions have become a new cool thing and are often touted as super reliable and dependable but they actually are more complicated. Tikka is the better choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lever actions have become a new cool thing and are often touted as super reliable and dependable but they actually are more complicated. Tikka is the better choice.
I don't disagree that the Tikka is a superior firearm, but that's like saying a Honda Civic is a better choice than a Ford Raptor. People like what they like, and for a 100-yard deer rifle, the Henry will notch just as many tags as the Tikka.

Luke S

Lil-Rokslider
I fiddled with those Henry rifles a few times. I like the concept in theory. But if I want an iron site brush gun I might as well grab an old 30-30 Winchester. If I want to use a scope and shoot 300 yards I prefer a bolt action.
That said the new Henry Supreme is exactly what I would grab if I lived in an unfree state...

z987k

WKR
You pretty much cannot stay on target in your scope while cycling a lever gun. Nothing runs smooth enough, and impossible from prone. That rules them out for anything but a 200 yard gun if you're really good with open sights, but probably 100 for most.

ElPollo

WKR
It’s okay to like lever guns. You don’t have to do complicated calculus, trying to figure out if they are better than a bolt gun. They simply aren’t better in any quantifiable way. If they were, someone besides Russia would have issued them for their military and bolt actions would not have started to predominate the American civilian market following WWI. That’s okay. The non-quantifiable cool factor is a totally reasonable basis to buy a lever gun. Just expect it to be more expensive, but don’t expect it to be as accurate, durable, or reliable as a bolt gun, and you’ll be just fine. 😁

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
It’s okay to like lever guns. You don’t have to do complicated calculus, trying to figure out if they are better than a bolt gun. They simply aren’t better in any quantifiable way. If they were, someone besides Russia would have issued them for their military and bolt actions would not have started to predominate the American civilian market following WWI. That’s okay. The non-quantifiable cool factor is a totally reasonable basis to buy a lever gun. Just expect it to be more expensive, but don’t expect it to be as accurate, durable, or reliable as a bolt gun, and you’ll be just fine. 😁

Spot on. The Henry Long Ranger is neat as can be.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
While I’m not necessarily opposed to a Henry Long Ranger in .223 for your purposes, I’d suggest possibly looking at a Henry Big Boy in .44 Mag or .357 if preferred. It’s shorter, handier, and achieves the short range ballistics you want to catch deers.

If you specified a max range, I missed it. My impression is that you are looking for fast and accurate, not accurate and efficient.

In my mind, a .223 is best suited for shots where you have the “luxury” of setting up and being very precise in a very “controlled environment.” The other scenario is “be as accurate as possible, but shots may not be stable and need to simply be effective.” In that case, bigger holes is better.

I realize this may not be Rokslide approved adviced. I like to learn, so that’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TheM1DoesMyTalking

Lil-Rokslider

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
I don't need one, but I will be buying a henry supreme in 5.56 when they are released. Just because I want a lever action in 5.56.

OP
P

Piddling

FNG
Classified Approved
Looks like the Henry Long Ranger Supreme will be worth the wait!!

Question is - get in 223/556 or 300BO?