Tighter Fitting Boot

Ironman8

WKR
Hey guys I need some thoughts on this. I've had the same pair of Asolo Fugitives for the last 3 years. Hiked in them numerous times from TX to WY, never had a blister, and have been waterproof for me 100%. Really love these boots.

However, I'm not sure if my foot has grown (doubt it since I'm 27) or if it's due to moving to a thicker merino sock (Darn Tough), but they feel tighter than I ever remember them being. They're mostly cramped in the toes. I tried doing the test where you slide your foot forward and put your fingers behind your heel, well it was a tight fit.

I'll do some more testing with a heavy pack and try to find some decent inclines/declines, but wondering what yell thought. Go with what worked in the past? Or get a new boot 7 weeks before I leave for a 9 Day Idaho elk hunt?

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
On another note if I do have to get a new boot, I'm leaning toward either the Lowa Renegade or the Salewa Alp Trainer as they're lighter boots and possible shorter break in time.

jtw

WKR
My feet elongated from doing brazilian jiu jitsu. I now wear a 10.5 instead of a ten much to my disapointment when i put my hiking boots on this summer.

I cant really recommend the lowa renegade. Lowa's cheaper boots are lacking in quality and the renegade is really only good for light loads. That said my gf has a pair and likes them.

wapitibob

WKR
I don't sell boots for a living so this is worth what you paid for it...
My opinion is If you can fit a finger behind your heel I think you're asking for trouble. I was going to post on Rhendrix's thread but, I've been wearing boots since I was 8 years old. Started with lace up ski boots and went to logging and hunting boots. That was 50 years ago and I can count the times I had blisters on one hand.
It was drilled into my head that nothing moves in the boot but your toes. I've maintained that process all my life. If your foot can move your heel will lift going up and your toe will jam going down. On the flip side, too tight of toe box will rub toes together. I tighten the shit outta my boots and keep tightening them as needed. I've had wet boots stretch enough that I had the eyelets touching. If you're hitting the toe on flat ground with your current boot, I would find a cobbler to push out the toe box by maybe 100 thou. I don't think gore-tex will hold up to that much elongation though. Getting the length right on a boot is the tough part obviously. Keens have the biggest toe box I've seen, renegades come in wide size, and these quest 4d's fit like the wide renegades but aren't wides. Merril Moabs fit like a glove but are a trail shoe. Try a bunch on and do some incline.

I just traded in my 2nd pair of leaking renegades for the Quest 4d's. Renegades require no breakin, very comfortable, but are guaranteed to leak. Caveat: I haven't had a waterproof gore-tex membrane in my life so it isn't just the Renegades.

JDZ

WKR
If your foot fits in an Asolo Fugitive, I'm guessing it won't work in a Lowa Renegade. Fugitive was my go-to shoe for several years. Recently, I decided to try a more substantial boot. The Renegade I tried on was short and wide. My normal size was way too short, and a half size up was way too wide. The higher end Lowas seem to be more long and narrow like the Asolo. I am currently wearing the Lowa Camino. The jury is still out on them, though. I tried the Lowa Tibet, but they don't have the snugness over the top of the forefoot that I'm used to.

OP
Ironman8

Ironman8

WKR
jtw,
Thanks for the heads up on the Renegade. I've heard mixed reviews on the Renegade, but it seems like all 3 of y'all have had bad luck with them...

wapitibob,
Thanks for the great input. I've always heard that you want to be able to fit a finger behind your heel (when the boot is completely unlaced and toes touching the front of the boot) to ensure that when you do lace down the boot, your toes won't hit the front when going on a downhill...especially with a heavy pack. What you said about the foot not moving does make sense though. In my case, I feel as if a 10.5" would make the difference between my toes feeling a tad cramped vs how they feel now in my size 10. And like I said, I don't remember my toes feeling like this last time I had the boot on a few months ago. That said, I did do a short training hike last night with 45ish lbs on my back and didn't feel any discomfort in my toes. But, of course, it's hard to find good inclines/declines here in Houston

JDZ,
What about the Fugitive didn't work in the "substantial enough" department? I am actually considering finding a less substantial boot than the Fugitives...mostly because I'd like something lighter on my feet. I'll admit though that I'll have a better idea of what I need after my first mountain hunt (Idaho) this November. And thanks for the heads up on the Renegade. I tried a pair on at REI and they felt fine, but carpet-testing doesn't always tell the whole story. What part of TX are you in?

My Asolos were great for 3 months wearing them 5 days a week. Got my other boots back from a rebuild and stopped wearing them. Put them on a few weeks later... they had shrunk. Couldn't believe it. I spend a lot of money on boots and I take amazing care of my footwear. Proper greasing, and boot dryers nightly. Have to say... last pair of Asolos I'll have.

JDZ

WKR
JDZ,
What about the Fugitive didn't work in the "substantial enough" department? I am actually considering finding a less substantial boot than the Fugitives...mostly because I'd like something lighter on my feet. I'll admit though that I'll have a better idea of what I need after my first mountain hunt (Idaho) this November. And thanks for the heads up on the Renegade. I tried a pair on at REI and they felt fine, but carpet-testing doesn't always tell the whole story. What part of TX are you in?
Beyond the Fugitive, I wanted a taller and stiffer boot. I was finding that with loads heavier than a daypack, my ankles were really sore after a long day. My first post was worded a little funny. The Renegade is not more substantial than the Fugitive in my mind, other than being an inch or so taller. Also, in hindsight, the Fugitive is probably stiff enough.

I'm in the panhandle.