Tiburon pants vs prana zion

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm asking for warm weather pants for Father's day and am deciding between these two.

I know the tiburon are for hot weather but how low of a temp have you pushed them to with what base layer?

Prana zion , since they are nylon do they feel too hot in summer heat? I've had other nylon pants that were.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I've had both but not used both for hunting/hiking specifically. The tiburons were great at everything except durability. Huckleberry type bushes will pill and fuzz them up bad. I would be good into the higher to mid 40's with a lightweight merino base. I wore them on a weekend hunting and stayed the night and it was low 50's and wasn't bad using the 145 zip merino bottoms. I have since sold them due to the high wear. The prana stretch Zion are a bit swishy like most nylon even when well worn and broken in. I have not worn these hunting but have hiked in them. Big issue is the vent holes they sew In similar to a baseball cap right in the crotch gusset. These will chafe you raw. Now I wear them as work pants or around town for casual pants but any serious hiking or a lot of walking and sweat and they stay home.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well my wife surprised me with the tiburon so I'd have them for our trip this weekend. Came in last night. Didn't expect the tiburon to be real durable. My use would be for a casual hiking/ where around town pants, not bushwhacking. They seem like what I'm looking for.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

jspradley

WKR
I wore Zions for 3.5 days hunting Javelina in Laredo a few weeks ago. Temps broke 100 for two of those days and my Zions were great..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bughalli

WKR
I had the Zions and returned them. Felt too hot for what I wanted (daily home use and maybe archery). Also the fit was a little tight in the thigh and almost baggy from the knee down. Made a little too much noise for me, the classic "swish" (when archery hunting). Hence, looking at the Tiburon's next for warm weather and Attacks for cold weather. Just wish they could get the Tiburons in stock!

Bughalli I don't think from memeory that the Tiburons are any less tight in the thigh but they don't balloon at the bottom either and the material makes less noise from the start and gets quieter with a little use. You can also feel a pretty light breeze going right through them.

Obi-wanshinobi

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, the Tibs are the best Kuiu pant. You can go from really hot weather to cold with a good base layer. From my experience using them they are also more durable than the Attack pants too.

you cant beat the tiburons for a warm weather pant. your next best option is shorts. ive been running mine for 2 years now and still no rip or tears and we have a lot of thorny brush i bust through frm time to time. theres been some minor pilling but its understandable. i had the pranas but returned them the nylon just cant compare in terms of breathability