Thunderbeast or Hyperion K

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
@Ryan Avery

What are your thoughts on the AB suppressor by now?

A suppressor is my next major firearms purchase, I think. I'm very interested in these, particularly a 4 or 6 stack with 3 or 4 inch reflex that would be used on a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 223. If not one of those I'd probably lean in the direction of the oft recommended TBAC Ultra 7.

There's not much info out there on the AB's.
I think they are a very well-built can and very modular. There is nothing "janky" to me about changing out an end cap. I can't really compare the two I have(4 stack and 8 stack with reflex mounts) to the others I have. It's not apples to apples. I will say I think we will start to see more reflex mounts being used and improved. I have an 8 stack with 4" reflex on my 30 Nolser +P. It's really quiet for pushing 89 grains of 570 down a short 22" barrel.

50f675bbb90c7f145c63b657f2648355.jpg

woods89

WKR
I think they are a very well-built can and very modular. There is nothing "janky" to me about changing out an end cap. I can't really compare the two I have(4 stack and 8 stack with reflex mounts) to the others I have. It's not apples to apples. I will say I think we will start to see more reflex mounts being used and improved. I have an 8 stack with 4" reflex on my 30 Nolser +P. It's really quiet for pushing 89 grains of 570 down a short 22" barrel.

50f675bbb90c7f145c63b657f2648355.jpg
Thanks!

I'm sick of shooting with ear plugs and muffs!

My tax return should hit this week and the boss said I can use some of it to buy my first can.

It'll be decided to my 6.5 PRC but might get screwed on my ARs occasionally.

I've always been told to get a Thunderbeast. And now the Gen 2's look even more gooder.

Then Avery said to look at the Hyperion K

Price is about the same. The length is about the same between the TB 7 and the Hyperion with the TB being 2oz lighter. While I don't backpack hunt with a rifle I do hike a lot. But 2oz isnt an issue.

I see Silencer Shop has the Hyperion in stock and they seem to have the easiet process to order. And I have a local shop that works with them.

I do like that the TB is a decided 6.5 can. While I do own a 308 and 270 Wby I don't really shoot them. Especially with a new custom to play with. So I really don't need a 30 cal can.

The other question would be if the TB 9 should be a consideration or is it just too long on a 24" barrel? Is the extra 5 dB reduction worth it?

Then I'm a little confused on the mounting options for the TB. They make a brake that the can will thread on? What's the benefits between direct thread vs threading over a brake? Will the brake still reduce recoil suppressed better than a direct thread?

Are there any other "precsion" rifle cans to consider?

I shot my buddy's 6.5 saum with a can last fall. Holy chit! Can't believe how quiet it was. Almost like a truck dumping it's air brake. I think he said those were Dakota Arms suppressors.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would opt for the quietest option and 2" less barrel over a shorter can with 2" more barrel.
Remember you can't make your suppressor quieter, but it's really easy to shorten a barrel or simply replace it..
For the money and sound reduction I wouldn't buy a 7" suppressor, I've used an ultra 7 and wasn't very happy with the sound compared to some of the other longer options.
Look into the Dead air Nomad LT, it's just over 8", and according to guys who've used them it's quieter than a Gen 2 ultra 9

bigbuckdj

WKR
I would opt for the quietest option and 2" less barrel over a shorter can with 2" more barrel.
Remember you can't make your suppressor quieter, but it's really easy to shorten a barrel or simply replace it..
For the money and sound reduction I wouldn't buy a 7" suppressor, I've used an ultra 7 and wasn't very happy with the sound compared to some of the other longer options.
Look into the Dead air Nomad LT, it's just over 8", and according to guys who've used them it's quieter than a Gen 2 ultra 9

I have a full sized Hyperion in jail, the guy at the counter basically gave me this advice. I’m planning to chop some barrels. He said the 9” suppressors are noticeably quieter. He did say that in a hunting scenario I probably wouldn’t notice the noise difference but in shot strings i definitely would. I’m a few months in and I already want to order more because I’m worried I made the wrong choice.

I’ll say, I haven’t met a single person who hates their suppressor after they get it. They all are happy to have it. I’m trying not to overthink it and I’m failing.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm sick of shooting with ear plugs and muffs!

My tax return should hit this week and the boss said I can use some of it to buy my first can.

It'll be decided to my 6.5 PRC but might get screwed on my ARs occasionally.

I've always been told to get a Thunderbeast. And now the Gen 2's look even more gooder.

Then Avery said to look at the Hyperion K

Price is about the same. The length is about the same between the TB 7 and the Hyperion with the TB being 2oz lighter. While I don't backpack hunt with a rifle I do hike a lot. But 2oz isnt an issue.

I see Silencer Shop has the Hyperion in stock and they seem to have the easiet process to order. And I have a local shop that works with them.

I do like that the TB is a decided 6.5 can. While I do own a 308 and 270 Wby I don't really shoot them. Especially with a new custom to play with. So I really don't need a 30 cal can.

The other question would be if the TB 9 should be a consideration or is it just too long on a 24" barrel? Is the extra 5 dB reduction worth it?

Then I'm a little confused on the mounting options for the TB. They make a brake that the can will thread on? What's the benefits between direct thread vs threading over a brake? Will the brake still reduce recoil suppressed better than a direct thread?

Are there any other "precsion" rifle cans to consider?

I shot my buddy's 6.5 saum with a can last fall. Holy chit! Can't believe how quiet it was. Almost like a truck dumping it's air brake. I think he said those were Dakota Arms suppressors.

Thanks

Fwiw the customer support from TBAC is amazing.

Split toe

WKR
I have a Hyperion that I use on a AR10 22 Creed and it is awesome!

I suggest going to the link below and getting some objective facts on cans you are interested in.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I just got mine from jail last week, will be used on a 300 win and 308. I’ll get out with it later this week, looking forward to it.
I got out yesterday to try it out. I got the CB version. Here are a few of my uneducated thoughts:
- I like the CB system, the suppressor locked up tight and after 10-20 rounds it had not worked loose any. Just be sure to get the timing right and apply loctite on brake before threading suppressor on, even if only putting on lightly to see how it looks... ask me how I know
- It might be all titanium cans, I am not sure, but this things cools off really quick. I was swapping between a 308 and 300 win, after 9-12 shots usually by the time I was ready to swap the can was cool to the touch. I am not used to this as most of my other cans are heavy and on AR type weapons, they get hot and stay hot for a while
- Sound and recoil reduction were great. I was using on a 20" 308 and 26" 300, because of a youth of not wearing earplugs and an unfortunate situation last year, I am pretty sensitive to loud noises. I cannot use brakes on rifles even with ear protection and it had gotten to the point I couldn't shoot magnums at all. Feels good to be able to shoot again.
- One thing I was not expecting was I had a reduction in FPS by 60-70 in both rifles. I was really hoping to gain some fps, especially in the 20" 308. I thought it might be a chrono mistake but I got consistent readings the entire time on both rifles, I know there are a lot of variables but still trying to figure that one out. I will try again in a week or so.
Overall really happy with it, I don't regret the purchase and cannot think of another can I would want over it.

A_W

FNG
@Ryan Avery

A suppressor is my next major firearms purchase, I think. I'm very interested in these, particularly a 4 or 6 stack with 3 or 4 inch reflex that would be used on a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 223. If not one of those I'd probably lean in the direction of the oft recommended TBAC Ultra 7.

These guys are based down the street from me and my interactions with them at the local range have been very positive. The build quality seems very good but I haven’t seen any that have been abused yet. I plan to pick one up soon.
I have a TBAC Dominus in jail right now, and honestly if you’re going the buy once route I’d go with anything from TBAC and call it good.

A_W

FNG
I got out yesterday to try it out. I got the CB version. Here are a few of my uneducated thoughts:
- I like the CB system, the suppressor locked up tight and after 10-20 rounds it had not worked loose any. Just be sure to get the timing right and apply loctite on brake before threading suppressor on, even if only putting on lightly to see how it looks... ask me how I know
- It might be all titanium cans, I am not sure, but this things cools off really quick. I was swapping between a 308 and 300 win, after 9-12 shots usually by the time I was ready to swap the can was cool to the touch. I am not used to this as most of my other cans are heavy and on AR type weapons, they get hot and stay hot for a while
- Sound and recoil reduction were great. I was using on a 20" 308 and 26" 300, because of a youth of not wearing earplugs and an unfortunate situation last year, I am pretty sensitive to loud noises. I cannot use brakes on rifles even with ear protection and it had gotten to the point I couldn't shoot magnums at all. Feels good to be able to shoot again.
- One thing I was not expecting was I had a reduction in FPS by 60-70 in both rifles. I was really hoping to gain some fps, especially in the 20" 308. I thought it might be a chrono mistake but I got consistent readings the entire time on both rifles, I know there are a lot of variables but still trying to figure that one out. I will try again in a week or so.
Overall really happy with it, I don't regret the purchase and cannot think of another can I would want over it.

Having a loss of FPS that high is pretty bizarre. With my Sandman K i get no change in velocity with my .308 and my other cans I gain 20ish FPS.

There must be some gas disturbance issue working against the bullet in your can. Are you shooting hand loads with a very fast/very slow burn rate powder?

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Resurrecting an old thread, but there is good data available on pewscience.com Jay has excellent, objective testing of lots of suppressors. You would be surprised at which big names don’t perform that well given their price.

failwagon

FNG
I am in the same boat trying to decide between the TBAC and Hyperion. I have 4 other cans but either way I will also be going with the 30 cal option to keep it flexible.

Is loctite necessary and if so how do you keep threads clean on supressor and barrel when swapping out or taking off.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Is loctite necessary and if so how do you keep threads clean on supressor and barrel when swapping out or taking off.
I have a couple suppressors that rotate around, and generally speaking you shouldn’t need loctite. If you are using a muzzle device as your attachment, then Roksett is the way to go between muzzle device and barrel threads. For direct thread applications, I occasionally wipe down barrel threads with a rag, but don’t really worry about carbon build-up. Also, if your suppressor is direct thread, you may want to check torque after 3 shots or so. The thermal expansion properties between the suppressor, mount, and barrel are all different given the different metals, and sometimes direct thread will be a hair loose after initial shots.

ElPollo

WKR
I’ll say, I haven’t met a single person who hates their suppressor after they get it. They all are happy to have it. I’m trying not to overthink it and I’m failing.

The only occasions where people I know of have not been happy was when they chose a can that was too small to significantly suppress the noise, muzzle blast and recoil because they were trying to minimize weight. If you stick with a titanium 6-8” can, then the differences between them seem relatively minor. As others have said here, shortening your barrel and cutting weight elsewhere on the gun is a much better approach to achieve light and handy than getting an ultralight small can that doesn’t get you the suppression you want.

ElPollo

WKR
@Ryan Avery

Not Ryan, but I will weigh in on this too. I have an 8-stack with a 3” reflex and I love it. They are well made and seem to be one of the quietest cans on the market. I also had really good customer service from the company and they took the time to talk with me when I was deciding what can to get. If you are considering anything shorter than what I have, I would strongly recommend talking with the company first. They will have the most information about how much suppression you are likely to get out of it. My general feeling is that the reflexes help quite a bit, but less than extra inches of actual suppressor. The reason for that is:
1) Reflexes add less volume proportionally to overall length because got a barrel running through the middle. So a 3” reflex may only 1.5-2” of internal volume to the blast chamber while three inches of suppressor will add much more.
2) Reflexes add volume, but don’t add baffles.
The point is not that reflexes suck, but instead to have realistic expectations about what they can do. They do shorten the overall length of a mounted can in relation to their ability to suppress, and they shift weight back behind the muzzle But I would not expect a 4-stack with a 3-4” reflex to do what an an 8-stack will do with or without a reflex. Like I said, if you want to try to go short and light, do the research and talk to the manufacturer before you invest your money and time.

All that said, I am using my Raptor on a pair of Tikkas. One is a 20” 300 WSM, the other is a 16” 6.5 cm. The former is roughly equivalent to a 26” barrel for length and weighs 8.2 with a 3-15 SWFA in Sportsmatch rings. The latter is equivalent to a 22” barrel for length and weighs in at about 7.8# with a 3-9 SWFA in the same rings. I don’t find either to be hard to pack around.

Hey everyone,

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread but am stuck between these two and wondered if any other folks have had experience with both since this thread stopped?

This will be going on a 6.5 Creedmoor. Both in the 30 cal vs 6.5 option. My main priority is sound suppression. Weight, taper at the thread, etc. aren’t of any big concern to me. Mostly trying to preserve my hearing (will still wear ear pro at the range) and give my sons a gun they can enjoyment the future.

I’ve looked at the data on the Hyperion K on Pew Science, but no luck finding one for the 7” Ultra.

Happy to do the leg work if there’s a resource you’d suggest or another thread.

Thanks everyone!

Lawnboi

WKR
Hey everyone,

I apologize for resurrecting an old thread but am stuck between these two and wondered if any other folks have had experience with both since this thread stopped?

This will be going on a 6.5 Creedmoor. Both in the 30 cal vs 6.5 option. My main priority is sound suppression. Weight, taper at the thread, etc. aren’t of any big concern to me. Mostly trying to preserve my hearing (will still wear ear pro at the range) and give my sons a gun they can enjoyment the future.

I’ve looked at the data on the Hyperion K on Pew Science, but no luck finding one for the 7” Ultra.

Thanks everyone!

Something you may enjoy reading.

Hey everyone,

Thanks everyone!

Another good thread on this:

My only can is a gen1 ultra 7. The recent threads led me to buying a scythe ti for the 2nd hunting can.

Seems like it's hard to go wrong with U7, dominus, hyperion k, scythe, raptor, etc among others like the enticer sti and OCL hydrogen S. Reportedly shorter versions of TBAC magnus and resilient jolene cans are releasing soon as well.