Thousands of acres of crop land getting turned into solar farms across the Midwest

This country is spending dump truck loads of money for solar and wind energy and getting thimble loads as results.

The first step to affordable and cleaner energy is natural gas. The infrastructure is mostly in place, and while not 100% clean, it's a huge step to a reasonable alternative.

Other countries are literally dying while waiting on "affordable/Clean" energy.

We are the only ones paying to have the pool cleaned while all/most countries continue to pee in the pool.

The largest solar farm in the country may be going in in eastern Kansas, where it is often cloudy for months of the year, and wind is plentiful. 3000 acres!! A little over 2 miles by 2 miles.

P dog

FNG
^^^

The one proposed in my backyard was 2,500 acres. They, the solar company, wouldn't say where the power was going other than "into the grid." Well low and behold right across the border in MN they have a proclamation that by 2030 they want to be 100% green and stop buying their electricity from ND coal companies. Guess where their new green energy is going to come from??...you got it ND Solar farms! Can't make it up!

Superdoo

WKR
@P dog I was referring to carbon capture/ sequestration directly at coal generating stations. I believe you are referring to the CO2 pipeline that will collect carbon from ethanol facilities in IA, NE, and SD along with one plant in Casselton, ND. The pipeline will end at Coal Creek Station in ND where it will be sequestered and all of this is paid for by the US tax payer.

P dog

FNG
@P dog I was referring to carbon capture/ sequestration directly at coal generating stations. I believe you are referring to the CO2 pipeline that will collect carbon from ethanol facilities in IA, NE, and SD along with one plant in Casselton, ND. The pipeline will end at Coal Creek Station in ND where it will be sequestered and all of this is paid for by the US tax payer.
Gotcha! Thanks for the reply.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
They have taken over every piece of farm land they can get their hands on around our area. We live in alfalfa/cotton country, half way between Phoenix and Tucson. At the rate they are going, in another 10-15 years there will be more solar panel farms than crop farms.

P dog

FNG
^^Thats what is concerning. I know of at least one solar farm project in CA that went belly up and the cleanup costs were crazy. I can see these things in the next 25-30 years just littering the landscape. Hope i am wrong!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I wonder when the green energy lunacy ends?

What will it take? The implosion of our once great country? An uprising? A revolution? A civil war?

Time will tell.

Eddie

KurtR

WKR
Its 3200 acres right across the road from a resort and not very far from lake oahe.

drdrop

FNG
I don't understand why we can't cover commercial building roofs with these things and leave other lands alone. We could cover highways, parking lots, and lots of other places as a priority.

I fully agree, and feel like this is where I can make a tiny impact by developing solar on my roofs. In my situation, it's a no-brainer. Putting panels on my south-facing roofs will yield better returns than the S&P 500. The more that businesses and individuals do this, I assume the fewer mega installations on open space will be needed.

I don't understand why we can't cover commercial building roofs with these things and leave other lands alone. We could cover highways, parking lots, and lots of other places as a priority.
logistics and infrastructure.

all the solar farms and wind turbines have convertor stations. Also close to high capacity transmission lines.

all the ones going up out here, follow the sun, tilt etc.

also ease, if you could do a section at a tine why would you mess with roof tops

Last edited:

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
Like everything else in life.. Costs. Private company's trying to do it as inexpensive as they can, to try and maximize profits. Losing hunting land is at the bottom of their worries.