Thousands of acres of crop land getting turned into solar farms across the Midwest

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
They did a lot of solar farms around here. Took ag property and made it solar. What’ll we do when there’s no food?
Where is around here?
10% of Midwest corn and soybean farming is going to corn syrup/ soy oil products, pretty sure that’s not food.

Murphy

Lil-Rokslider
Doing it on what's left of good ag ground in Southern Michigan. Paying crazy lease rates which farmers are having a hard time turning down. The places are disgusting but can you blame the farmers? Guarenteed money with zero risk of actually planting seed. We are locusts, convince me otherwise.

OP
B
Doing it on what's left of good ag ground in Southern Michigan. Paying crazy lease rates which farmers are having a hard time turning down. The places are disgusting but can you blame the farmers? Guarenteed money with zero risk of actually planting seed. We are locusts, convince me otherwise.
Yup, don’t blame them one bit.

Like most of our problems, corrupt politicians are to blame.

Rich M

WKR
Where is around here?
10% of Midwest corn and soybean farming is going to corn syrup/ soy oil products, pretty sure that’s not food.
Im in FL, former citrus capital of the world.

We cant afford to lose any more farm land anywhere. Keep feeding more and more people off less and less land. There will be a breaking point.

bentarrow

FNG
Nothing lives on the land of solar farms.
These won't feed anything. China gettin rich and the politicians. Look at the 80000
Acres of blm land they r goin to use. Won't do a dam bit of good when the nuclear winter happens.
Sacrifice all for the big green deal.

drdrop

FNG
perhaps there should be a push for cities to build up rather than out and it should be more prioritized by hunters and conservation organizations
I 100% agree. After learning more at Wyoming's capitol on how solar and wind farm development will be threatening critical winter range, I'm convinced that we need to make more use of developed areas for power generation. The impact to wildlife is what motivated me to look into it, but penciling out the costs ignoring subsidies I'm sold. Rooftop solar has a better return than the S&P 500!

While I'm just one small drop, think of if everyone, businesses, and their neighbors could install solar on their rooftops. Developed land has already been heavily impacted. Let's be efficient as a society. Develop developed land and keep open spaces open.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I 100% agree. After learning more at Wyoming's capitol on how solar and wind farm development will be threatening critical winter range, I'm convinced that we need to make more use of developed areas for power generation. The impact to wildlife is what motivated me to look into it, but penciling out the costs ignoring subsidies I'm sold. Rooftop solar has a better return than the S&P 500!

While I'm just one small drop, think of if everyone, businesses, and their neighbors could install solar on their rooftops. Developed land has already been heavily impacted. Let's be efficient as a society. Develop developed land and keep open spaces open.
I don’t think the utilities would like everyone providing their own power, but this make sense opposed to cover thousands of acres with solar farms.

Blowdowner

Lil-Rokslider
Killing your physical body and plugging your brain into the matrix is also MUCH better for the environment.

So I fly for the NG part time. I’ve noticed in the last year or so solar farms are all of the sudden popping up everywhere, seemingly overnight.

Below are a few pictures I snapped the other night. This thing was massive, and more was being added. It was absolutely disgusting to see. View attachment 521194View attachment 521195View attachment 521196
Hundreds if not thousands of acres of habitat and hunting opportunity destroyed. Meanwhile there is a massive and sprawling warehouse district next to the airport. I haven’t seen a single solar panel on a roof.

Where the **** are our conservation organizations on this!? I’m not sure how anyone can witness this and defend it as better for the environment. It’s simply maddening, and it feels like there isn’t a damn thing I or anyone can do about it.
It's not,but it better for the pocket books for our politicians and China!

The s&p average is what, 7%?

What's rooftop solar Cost without subsidies, with new roof, and wear and tear?
What happens when those developed lands are done? Define heavy impact, but most developed land goes through far more "strainers" than not. Outside of runoff volume, I *could* make an argument developed land is safer than farm land.

If it's private-let the privateer do what they want, be it windmills, solar, or ouls drilling. They own it, you don't.

bentarrow

FNG
We r seein this all over mich. Just turned 300 acre farm into solar. The idiots don't care about loss of land. Payin $600 acre to lease for 20 yrs. What about the heat these will reflect into atmosphere? Cuttin food and meat production because of a bunch of clowns worried about global warming which is non existence.

We r seein this all over mich. Just turned 300 acre farm into solar. The idiots don't care about loss of land. Payin $600 acre to lease for 20 yrs. What about the heat these will reflect into atmosphere? Cuttin food and meat production because of a bunch of clowns worried about global warming which is non existence.
Wait what?

We only went from an average 25 bu/acre to 180 bu/acre for corn. Besides, nothing cures fat and lazy like starvation.

We'll be fine.

Alternative option would be for you to purchase/ lease said land.

P dog

FNG
If the gooberment would quit subsidizing these solar farms they wouldn't exist. I have done a fair amount of research and by the looks of it the solar panel companies, not the landowner, are getting close to $50,000 an acre. The landowner's get anywhere from $500- 1,400 an acre. Here is an article that briefly explains it.

https://www.americanexperiment.org/solar-subsidies-amount-to-50000-per-acre/

P dog

FNG
I agree to a point that a landowner should be able to do what they want to with their land but zoning requirements are needed. I sure as hell wouldn't want a solar farm going up right next my house or a turkey or hog operation being built in the vicinity either. Just my .02

Superdoo

WKR
If the gooberment would quit subsidizing these solar farms they wouldn't exist. I have done a fair amount of research and by the looks of it the solar panel companies, not the landowner, are getting close to $50,000 an acre. The landowner's get anywhere from $500- 1,400 an acre. Here is an article that briefly explains it.

https://www.americanexperiment.org/solar-subsidies-amount-to-50000-per-acre/
Wait until you research the subsidies that are coming for Carbon Capture. Every coal plant in the country is going to be going full tilt in that cash grab.

KurtR

WKR
We have some one trying to build one here on prime prairie ground but the area is coming together and hopefully it is not allowed.

P dog

FNG
Enlighten me please. I know in ND and all through the Northern tier states the carbon folks are coming in trying to get easements. I think the one in ND starts by Casselton and ends up out by New Salem?

P dog

FNG
We have some one trying to build one here on prime prairie ground but the area is coming together and hopefully it is not allowed.
Please don't tell me the company name is Savion from Kansas?! They are a shell oil company, go figure.

P dog

FNG
Enlighten me please. I know in ND and all through the Northern tier states the carbon folks are coming in trying to get easements. I think the one in ND starts by Casselton and ends up out by New Salem?
This post was in response to Superdoo...