Thoughts on this Huntin Fool moose video ethics?

Kisaralik

FNG
Man, this video Lake Monsters Part 2 by "Huntin Fool" really bums me out. The guy puts two arrows into a moose, clearly draws blood, and doesn't recover it. Instead of punching his tag he grabs a rifle and keeps hunting. He later shoots a moose at 770 yds after multiple shots. (I don't even want to speculate if these nonresident guys actually bring all the meat back to the lower 48)

I get archery for moose is difficult and that moose are tough critters, BUT if you're chasing moose with a bow you know the odds and the challenge. This film highlights blatantly shitty sportsmanship and posts it on a massive YT channel that just feeds poor ethics into rookies and negative hunting stigma to everyone else.

Per usual ADFG has a 'clear as mud' policy on if a hunter should keep hunting after wounding game - https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.wounded .

What are your thoughts?

*EDIT : the phrasing I'm using "punching your tag" for an unrecovered animal is metaphorical for just STOP HUNTING, if you have a punched tag with no animal in possession you can get in trouble (Thanks Chumsnagger for pointing this out!)

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
I agree with you. Guy is clearly a shitty shot no matter the weapon. Every body wants to be a long range sniper when by the look of the video he could have ran up the shore line probably another 100yds + and closed the distance at least. With the bow I bet that moose died arrow in the lower gut area. "bow to a gunfight" comment. etc etc.

But of course the NR card gets brought up again. Hunters are hunters 100% there are resident hunters in every state that don't utilize all the meat, leave stuff in the field, etc.

I've never understood this, but it happens a lot. My values are different, but I believe it boils down to using an inferior weapon for ego-driven purposes. If it's an archery tag, use the best bow you own. If it's a muzzleloader hunt, use a quality smoke pole. If it's an any weapon tag, why handicap yourself and risk wounding and losing the animal?

Then again, if it's a legal way to hunt, It's hard to cast judgement on others. Different tools for different fools.

Taudisio

WKR
That first shot looks 100% fatal to me. I’ve never cut up a moose but they say in the video, it’s just in the brisket. Guys with moose experience, is this true? I screenshot the video at impact for reference. Arrow buried to the fletching so at least 22” of penetration, and when it whirls around, it appears the nock angles down meaning the broadhead went higher in the body cavity or the arrow snapped. Like I said, no moose experience, but 1/3rd the way up, looks like probably 1 lung and liver to me. Second arrow hit high shoulder with minimal penetration and I thought I saw an “over the top” expandable.
IMG_4004.png

Man, this video Lake Monsters Part 2 by "Huntin Fool" really bums me out. The guy puts two arrows into a moose, clearly draws blood, and doesn't recover it. Instead of punching his tag he grabs a rifle and keeps hunting. He later shoots a moose at 770 yds after multiple shots. (I don't even want to speculate if these nonresident guys actually bring all the meat back to the lower 48)

I get archery for moose is difficult and that moose are tough critters, BUT if you're chasing moose with a bow you know the odds and the challenge. This film highlights blatantly shitty sportsmanship and posts it on a massive YT channel that just feeds poor ethics into rookies and negative hunting stigma to everyone else.

Per usual ADFG has a 'clear as mud' policy on if a hunter should keep hunting after wounding game - https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=hunting.wounded .

What are your thoughts?

Crappy hunters are crappy hunters, NR or R. Also, who cares if they bring the meat back to the lower 48. Its going to get donated and feed someone.

Glad I’m not the only one bummed by that video. Seemed like they just gave up as soon as the moose went out of site. The first shot definitely doesn’t look like a “brisket” shot.

mulecreek

FNG
Video shows a guy making multiple decisions that I would not make. But I suppose you're going to have that in life. Can't find anything in this video that I would be proud of. Wonder what he found that would make him want it available for all to see?

Hope the bear that inevitably starts gnawing on that first bull's carcass doesn't cut his mouth on the numerous broadheads stuck in it.

I dont watch many hunting videos but I would sure like to see one where the hunter hits an animal and doesn't recover it and just notches their tag instead of looking for another one to kill. I have seen plenty where they keep hunting. Has to be at least one example somewhere on the internet? Right?

OP
Kisaralik

Kisaralik

FNG
But of course the NR card gets brought up again. Hunters are hunters 100% there are resident hunters in every state that don't utilize all the meat, leave stuff in the field, etc.
Crappy hunters are crappy hunters, NR or R. Also, who cares if they bring the meat back to the lower 48. Its going to get donated and feed someone.
Good points.

I wasn't clear with my intention on the NR dig. My point with that comment is that NR's are guests in R's hunting areas and should be even more considerate imo. For many AK residents moose are hunted as a meat hunt. For those of us with that view on moose hunting it's sacrilegious to potentially kill 2 moose and only fly home with antlers and backstraps from one of them. (not trying to instigate a trophy hunt convo lol)

Either way, I should have left the NR comment off my post and your points are noted!

You should only be able to hunt out of your state or province with a guide. That’ll solve all this BS.

I am so glad fools from every province can’t come hunt in B.C. if you don’t live here you shouldn’t get to hunt the big game.

Thankfully Canada is nothing like the USA and doesn’t like yahoos from any state hunt wherever they want self guided. You don’t end up catering to trash like the hunters in this video.

You want to hunt a different province or state ? Pay a guide outfitter and stimulate the economy but none of this self guided hunt BS. Stay in your own backyard and learn your own area.

Locals respect their back yard far more than some yahoo from a city 5000km away that’ll never see the mountain side again.

OP
Kisaralik

Kisaralik

FNG
I dont watch many hunting videos but I would sure like to see one where the hunter hits an animal and doesn't recover it and just notches their tag instead of looking for another one to kill. I have seen plenty where they keep hunting. Has to be at least one example somewhere on the internet? Right?
I recently watched a Meat Eater episode where an archery elk wasn't recovered and the hunter notched their tag. Good ethos for a hunting film company

I recently watched a Meat Eater episode where an archery elk wasn't recovered and the hunter notched their tag. Good ethos for a hunting film company
Yeah I believe I've seen that a few times on Meateater. Want to say Steve notched his tag on a muzzy bull elk hunt where they didn't recover it.

Believe I've seen it done with some WA hunters too. Samong comes to mind. I feel like it's more common in western big game hunting videos than not.

You should only be able to hunt out of your state or province with a guide. That’ll solve all this BS.
Locals respect their back yard far more than some yahoo from a city 5000km away that’ll never see the mountain side again.
Respectfully, I do not believe that would be the outcome. You'll never solve this BS because ethics, proficiency, and respect for resources has no correlation with the state or province a person resides. Universally forcing nonresidents to use a guide would only limit opportunity and accelerate hunting's slide into a rich man's sport.

Oh man, and here I thought arrows were death dealing machines far more capable and ethical than 22 caliber or 243 caliber rifles. Two arrows and no recovery.

Reading all the comments on the YouTube video and on this thread mentioning instances they couldn’t recover the animal while bow hunting, or seen someone who couldn’t. Hate to be the moose wandering around as I slowly die.

I guess it really comes down to good shot placement, proper angle, distance, and patience. And maybe better tracking skills.

(Referencing the recent Alaska proposal thread)

Last edited:

Drenalin

WKR.
My thoughts are...I didn't watch the video. If you want DBs like this and their videos to go away, which I do, I'd highly recommend not posting them, sharing, viewing them, etc. etc. etc. I don't know preciely how YT channels and sponsorships work, but I bet their bottom line isn't affected by people disapproving of them, only by the number of clicks they get.

KingGus

WKR
Classified Approved

What are your thoughts?

What a ballbag. He should have definitely punched his tag after the wound loss.

OP
Kisaralik

Kisaralik

FNG
Please do not notch your harvest ticket unless you have killed an animal, just stop hunting. At least in Alaska. If you have a notched harvest ticket, you better have that animal in possession or proof of transfer.

Another point, in areas of Alaska, according to regulations, wounding a bear does count toward your bag limit.
Great point! I edited the original post to reflect this

SDHNTR

WKR
I thought AK had a pretty strict draw blood and done policy. Several years ago the Nuge got popped for this exact same thing on a black bear. Did the law change?

Please do not notch your harvest ticket unless you have killed an animal, just stop hunting. At least in Alaska. If you have a notched harvest ticket, you better have that animal in possession or proof of transfer.

Another point, in areas of Alaska, according to regulations, wounding a bear does count toward your bag limit.

Good point. I do think most people are using the term more metaphorically to just indicate they are not going to hunt further.