SITKA Mountain EVO jacket, Review **Updated 9/20/23**

Hi-liner

FNG
I did find the Mountain Evo to be what I would call a 'super athletic fit'. It's a pretty close-to-body wind shirt, for sure. I typically go XL and went XXL in the EVO, and I'm super happy I did.
I’m in the same boat as you, typically wear an XL in everything from t-shirts to hunting jackets. I originally bought a black EVO for 60% off earlier this year and went with an XL because I just wear it around town or hiking with the family. I just ordered another one in Subalpine for backpack hunting but this time I ordered a 2XL so I can layer more easily.

Hi-liner

FNG
I generally think that is true but sometimes it feels like the user, me included, may try to use a specific piece 'out of spec'. I bought an EVO last fall and ended up with a Large Tall because it fit over an Ambient hoodie better than a regular Large, with more under-arm space. I guess in that way, it is not intended to fit over that piece in a 'like' size?? Over a Large heavyweight hoodie, no problem really. The XL for me was definitely more loose, but too loose without an underlayer. So I went LT.

When I bought my Stratus set I ignored online research and still bought an XL instead of a Large and while it fits fine enough and layers easily, I sometimes get annoyed that in mild temps, it's a big baggy. That's on me. I would prefer Sitka do one simple thing.... normalize/standardize their 'ratings' of wind/water/warmth/durability etc. They're still all over the place with those categories and it's really hard to get a straight comparison at times and would be much easier if EVERY piece had the same categories, even if one or two are zero rating, be consistent!
Agreed, it would be nice if their warmth, wind protection, breathability, etc. ratings were more consistent across their product lines. To expand on your point, I think it would be great if they went with a 10 point scale for their product features instead of a 5 point. It would help give a better idea of the differences between different products.

Blandry

WKR
I won't be selling mine in green or sub-alpine anytime soon. It can take the place of multiple layers imo but yeah they are going nuts on this stuff. It's a FINE high output, layer that blocks wind.

Hi-liner

FNG
I cannot imagine they would drop the item, right? What else do they have to fill that role? And I am a HUGE fan of the thing in extremely limited use but it is fantastic under a pack and without. I would think something based off of it will be back, evolution is a Sitka hallmark and what they do well... maybe best.

I'm 6'2 190+ and most all clothing used to be XL tops and L bottoms for me / 44 chest 34 waist. But with the ummm "widening" and "rotunding" of America, who knows what size to get these days. A couple days ago I was in a Duluth Trading store and their wind jacket-like item fit me in a ....... MEDIUM....... da fa?
Sounds like the Duluth line is for the cheese curd and craft beer crowd.