Thoughts on scope and magnification

TaperPin

WKR
I’m a lifelong fan of a fixed 6x, but even after using it exclusively for many years, if shots are under 100 yards it’s not the magnification I’d want.

I had a 1.5 x 5 for a number of years and at high magnification it wasn’t bad - if eyes can only use an exit pupil maximum size of 7 mm, a 24mm objective will give full brightness clear to 3.5x.

For those two reasons I’d use your 1x8 turned to 3.5x and taped in place to prevent the temptation to fiddle with it.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you Taperpin, I don't think im quite understanding about using is set on 3.5 vs turning it up higher for bit longer shots. say at 200 yds.

TheHammer

WKR
I have a similar setup for under 100yds in wooded/ swampy areas. That rifle utilizes a 1-4. Seldom is it on 1 or 4 x.

SloppyJ

WKR
A good budget option would be a 3x9 creedo. I have one and it's a great scope.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Took off work early and did some shooting in my hunting area. I’ve kinda come to the conclusion that 3-9, 3.5-10 and 4-12 are the best options with 3.5-10 sweet spot for best do all. love the 6-18 for open terrain non close shooting and on bench load work up. The 1-8 is compact slightly lighter and more balanced rifle package. It’s also really nice in tight woods shots but doable with my older eyes out to 200 yards. Can’t shoot the really tight groups at 100 yards or more resting on stand rail like I can with the 6-18 but can do deer moa 3” group at 150 yards. The 1-18 set on 16 got right at an inch group. Shot 5 shot groups from a ladder stand out into field and 5 shot groups off hand at 50 yards down a cleared lane cut though the brush

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I actually looked at the 3-9 creed today online. Right now I’m planning to to shoot some more Saturday right at sun up to see how the 2 compare in early light. I’ve kinda thinking I’ll end up going the 3.5-10 route with something with good decent glass durability and lighter like Leupold likely.

SloppyJ

WKR
durability and lighter like Leupold likely.

Take a look at the scope evaluations before you do that. I agree, they check a lot of boxes. But durability isn't one of them. If they could reel that in, they would have the market cornered.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Over the years I’ve gotten to where I use mostly Vortex models on everything. For the money they do well in the woods, hunting and get used heavy. Not abused but not babied either. They have all been great without issue. I have yet to buy or use a Leupold but I’ve put a bunch on others rifles. Folks seem to like them a lot and usually pretty light weight.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Happy.
I messed around with both the 1-8 strike eagle and the 6-18 AO for 2 days in the hunting area and woods early in day mid morning and at dusk as well as shooting. Neither one fit my happy place all around. So I bought a Leupold freedom 4-12x40.
Just got back from shooting it at 100, 200 and 275 yards. I’m happy. I have run a Vortex 4-12x44 for years on my 30-06 and after much testing and scrutiny I’ve settled on the 4x12 as the best choice for me and my needs the most.