Thoughts on scope and magnification

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
So I just built an AR platform 6.5 Grendel for deer hunting in NC mostly. I hunt 70% around fields from a stand. Shots range from 30 yards to 150 most of the time but could take shots out to 300 yards at times. My other 30% is hunting in the woods where a 150 yard shot would be rare and most shots be 100 or likely less most of the time.
I currently have a few scopes in my “stash” that aren’t on rifles. My top 2 choices I’ve narrowed down to are the following.
6-18x44 AO and a 1-8x24 Lpvo strike eagle.
I’m concerned the 6-18 would be too much on 6x power for woods hunting on close and or moving shots. Believe it would be great around the fields though.
The 1-8 strike eagle I think would work well in the woods and for couple hundred yards around fields. However I’m a little concerned if it being a 24 tube if it would be hard to use under the trees early and late in the day?
The 1-8 is more compact ( shorter in length)
The weight difference is minimal.
1x8 is .31 ounces lighter than the 6-18 with mounts on them.
My thought on pros and cons.
1-8
Smaller package and slightly lighter with illumination reticle. Good for close range and moving shots. It would also work well as a security around camp ( backpack hunting)
1-8 cons
Lower max magnification makes longer shots and identifying horns or deer in cover harder.
24 tube may not gather enough light for early and late day shots.

6-18
Pros
High magnification for longer shots. Easily see horns and spot critters or parts of them like binoculars at distance.
AO makes for clear and precise shooting at different ranges.
Gathers plenty of light for early and late lower light times.
6-18
Cons
Bit larger package
6x might be issue for close range moving shots

Ok. I’ve said all this information so I’m asking all you your thoughts and experiences with same or similar scopes for whitetail.
Give me your opinions and experiences, what would you pick and why.

fwafwow

WKR
FWIW:
I'm keeping my comments limited to the two choices you provided. I expect others may weigh in more broadly.
I’m concerned the 6-18 would be too much on 6x power for woods hunting on close and or moving shots. Believe it would be great around the fields though.
I think 6x is fine. I and many others use a 6x fixed without any difficulty, even at those ranges. ay?
Smaller package and slightly lighter with illumination reticle. Good for close range and moving shots. It would also work well as a security around camp ( backpack hunting)
For your hunting, I wouldn't put much emphasis on weight and size. I can't speak to the light gathering ability late in the day, but if you have the scopes already, you could compare them one evening.
1-8 cons
Lower max magnification makes longer shots and identifying horns or deer in cover harder.
I use my binos to ID horns, and the more that time passes - if I'm not super comfortable with what I'm shooting at last light, I just pass. YMMV.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I greatly appreciate your input FWAFWOW and addressing your response to the two choices.
I think your spot on in your opinions.

So I just built an AR platform 6.5 Grendel for deer hunting in NC mostly. I hunt 70% around fields from a stand. Shots range from 30 yards to 150 most of the time but could take shots out to 300 yards at times. My other 30% is hunting in the woods where a 150 yard shot would be rare and most shots be 100 or likely less most of the time.
I currently have a few scopes in my “stash” that aren’t on rifles. My top 2 choices I’ve narrowed down to are the following.
6-18x44 AO and a 1-8x24 Lpvo strike eagle.
The 1-8 strike eagle I think would work well in the woods and for couple hundred yards around fields. However I’m a little concerned if it being a 24 tube if it would be hard to use under the trees early and late in the day?
The 1-8 is more compact ( shorter in length)
The weight difference is minimal.
1x8 is .31 ounces lighter than the 6-18 with mounts on them.
My thought on pros and cons.
1-8
1-8 cons

6-18
Pros
High magnification for longer shots. Easily see horns and spot critters or parts of them like binoculars at distance.
AO makes for clear and precise shooting at different ranges.
Gathers plenty of light for early and late lower light times.
6-18
Cons
Bit larger package
6x might be issue for close range moving shots

Ok. I’ve said all this information so I’m asking all you your thoughts and experiences with same or similar scopes for whitetail.
Give me your opinions and experiences, what would you pick and why.

My suggestion?

Take both of them into the woods and play around with them for an afternoon, side by side, at the same targets back and forth, and see what works best in the actual hunting conditions you'd use them in.

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
Out of those choices I’d go with the 1-8. Too much magnification can be a real problem at close ranges. But I’d have to agree with above. 3-9 or something similar would be what I’d look for in those applications. Some people think more magnification is always better and that’s simply not the case. I have a 5-25 and find myself shooting 400-600 yards with it closer to 12x way more than I do getting past 18x

Of these two, I would go with the 1-8.

Lower magnification at close range would be more important to me.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
My vote would be the 1x8 just for the lower power and 8 power is fine for 300 yds and it also has an illuminated reticle. Use your binocs for identification.

+1 on the binoculars for game identification purposes.

Avoid pointing a weapon optic at anything until time to do so.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gentlemen for the input. I currently running a 3-9 on an inline muzzleloader, 3-9 on a 243, 4-12 on 30-06 and a 7-35 on a 300 win. As well as a few other rifles n scopes that are kinda specific use like 22’s and creedmore. All are basically hunting rifles. I have a 1-6 and 1-8 strike eagles and couple other older fixed power scopes that are in my “extra stuff “ tube not currently on anything. I would tend to agree that 3 or 4 low power and 9 to 12 high seems to be a sweet spot for deer rifles. I traded some gun work for the new in box 6-18 with the idea that it would be perfect for the Grendel and deer. Last weekend we did some distance shooting and it was great but friend n I got in a discussion about the 6x might be issue on close targets. When I was young ( right after bows and spears got replaced by the rifle) I hunted with a 243 that had a fixed 6x. Remember a couple times having a moving closer deer and it was hard to pick it up. Like many of you stated I might be best off to just get a new 3-10 or 4-12. Took not sure how many deer with my 06 an a 4-12 on it. Ran it on 4 mostly unless something was beyond 50 yards standing or walking. Put up my flintlock and Took 2 last year with inline that has a 3-9 and got 4 with 06 n 4-12 one with 300 win and 7-35. Guess I’ll just get me a new scope n put the 6-12 in my bin or maybe run it and see how it goes.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Unless I’m hunting somewhere I don’t have to carry stuff to far or someplace with distance where they are really needed I tend to not use binoculars much. Backpack hunting carrying pack with camping gear sometimes a portable stand in the meat shelf and warm or extra clothing a chest rig handgun among other gear it all adds up and if ya got to butcher n pack out anything the less stuff weight and trips the better. I’m not that young anymore if I can avoid it. Minimal gear n weight unless I’m close to the truck or helpers. Lol

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I also liked the suggestion on taking them both out and trying them out side by side. I’ve used strike eagles a bunch on like 556’s but not for out in the woods kinda hunting so really not sure how one would do in that type setting. Guess I’ll see. I’m sure it would be good around camp for security kinda role though.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Well I took both scopes into the woods by the house and took a drive over to the field I’ve hunted and tried both scopes at dusk. I believe the 1-8 was nice in the woods during daylight but because the most I could see was 75 yards at best. The 6-18 was fine on 6x but probably liked the 1-8 better because I could drop it down to 2 or 3x and gave a good wide view.
Over at the field there was no real comparison. The 6-18x44 was far and away better for clear picture and being able to go up to 12,16 and 18x was really great and clear compared to the 1-8.
Think I’m going to go with the 6_18 for my eyes. I will look at some 3or4 to 10 or 12 scopes also. I’m still going to go out to woods this weekend with the 1-8 mounted and give it a good look over vs the 6-12. With the vegetation and leaf cover out now might be tough to get a good “hunting season “ perspective.

Maybe pairing an offset red for close range shots with the 6-18 is an option. Just throwing out an idea.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good suggestion and I actually thought of it too. Offset irons and a small red. They seem to be very likely to catch on gear and such.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
I’m shopping a 3.5-10x50 weighs 16oz $299
Second one I’m looking at is a 4-12x40 AO $190
But it weighs in at 19oz
Lastly a 4-12x40 Leupold weighs in at 13 oz $350

That Leupold 4-12 looks like a winner. I have one on a 22-250 that has been solid.

I think there are better options if you want to dial the elevation turret often or you want something that is considered more reliable. That will lead you towards scopes that are heavier and more expensive.

Bluefish

WKR
I would go the 1-8 as the extra magnification is a big issue for me in the close woods. I have a couple 3-12’s and for woods, I turn them down to 3 as anything more is too much. All you see is the deer at higher power.

I have a 2-6 on my woods rifle and I can easily hit deer size vitals at 2x out to 150 yards. Yes it’s easier at 6x, but not difficult at 2x. Has made me rethink my optics choices. I have a couple scout scope I hate (small fov and dark at low light) and am considering replacing them with red dots. Better fov and my shots are not usually long enough to need magnification.

OP
Huntchic

Huntchic

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks gentlemen.
I admit last year hunting with my 06 and 4-12 scope my 2 farthest shots were bit over 150 yards and 1 at right at 200 yards with scope on 4x.
I keep it on 4 in case deer walks out into the field close to me and turned it up when deer ere further away. In both the cases on the 2 at 15-200yards they popped out into the field following does at a fast walk. Didn’t take time to mess with turning scope up above 4 and shot them. The biggest one was what I would call trotting. So yes anything around 3 or 4 works out to 200 without much issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.jpeg
    IMG_1235.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1244.jpeg
    IMG_1244.jpeg
    751.8 KB · Views: 7