Scope magnification recommendations

Sbrum25

FNG
I'm sure this topic has been beat to death everywhere on the Internet but lets reiterate it some more.

I have a 7mm rem mag thats currently scopeless, and going to be first rifle I use for western hunting. The only experience Ive had with scope prior to this is hunting eastern whitetails using a trusty 3-9.

I'm considering 2 options a 2-7x32 or a 3.5-10x50(which I already have). I'm not planning on making any shots further than 400 yards and this setup will have to work for everything from antelope to elk (planning a mule deer hunt right now).

From what I've read a lot of people don't even turn their scopes all the way up when they're hunting because they like to see the whole animal when they shoot. I'm leaning towards the 2-7 because of a little bit of weight savings but mainly because I won't have to use high profile rings. Will I miss the extra 3x of magnification?

Go with your gut but for that rifle but if I was going buy a scope and stick with Leupold I would go 4.5-14x40. I don't care for 50 mm obj but plenty of guys use them. If I wanted a lighter scope with less mag I would go with a 2.5-8x36 Luey.

I've got a 3 x 15 on my 300wm. I only use 15 at the range. Normally keep it at 6, which is what it was on when I shot my deer this year in CO. It was only 220 yards though but it was fine. Ive shot plenty of deer and antelope at that range and further with a 2 3/4 redfield. Just put the one on you want. Either will be fine. the 2 x 7 will be light for sure....