Thoughts on open sights for moose hunt?

A couple years ago we went up to AK and shot two moose under 100 yards on a DIY hunt with our long range rifles. Going back in a couple weeks and trying to decide which rifle I want to take. I was gifted an older Marlin 444 that is in excellent condition by a widow I go to church with. Part of me thinks it would be cool to slam a moose with it. I am hesitant because it has open sights and I will be limited on distance… Thoughts?

EdP

WKR
If you're hunting with a partner that brings a longer range rifle, go for it.
I think that's a great answer if your partner will let you use the rifle if you want to take advantage of an opportunity beyond what you are comfortable with using the .444. I love my .444 Marlin but it drops like a rock beyond 200 yds and holdover is tough with irons. Have you considered scoping it? I put a Trijicon Huron 2.5-10 on mine. It doesn't change the trajectory but makes it a lot easier to compensate accurately. Plus it is better in low light.

JPC6000

FNG
I think it would be awesome, but I would be to chicken to try it on an Alaskan moose hunt. I have a 7600 carbine with peep sight like the Benoits used, I'll stick to using on whitetails. Sure as hell, if I took it into the dark timber after elk, I would have a shot at a 350 bull at 300 yards across a valley.

Take that triple 4.....the odds of your moose being past 200 yards are not great, and you can almost always get closer. Plus, both the hunt and the story would be that much more interesting. Look at how many are taken with a bow at under 50 yards.

VernAK

WKR
Quality open sights can make a difference. Until I had eye surgery in my 60s, I hunted with a model 70 with a receiver rear and sourdough/ patridge front sight. I never regretted not having a scope. The longest shot I ever took or made was with that rifle and wouldn't have attempted it if my partner hadn't wounded it. I'm not sure, how many moose I killed with that rifle but it;s a bunch.

Carrying a rifle minus a scope is much more pleasurable.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That would be the way to do it. I’ve seen some nice bulls out of reach of the gun I had that day but I don’t want a “long range” build when I drift around a bend and see one at 60yds or closer.

WMR

Lil-Rokslider
Do what you want. Hunting is supposed to be fun. I sometimes carry an open sighted rifle because I enjoy it. I use traditional muzzleloaders even when scoped in-line are legal. I don’t kid myself, though. A low powered scope is very fast to use and adds reach. It just depends on what is important to you. Have fun either way.

I'm heading for a moose hunt in Alberta, the first week in Oct. My primary rifle will be a Savage 99F in .308 Win, with factory irons. If, after a few days, I can't get within 150 yards, I'll trade out to a scoped Montana in 7-08. Really hoping to get it done old school though.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
I considered this for Maine Moose in October.

My irons set up is a Ruger No.1 w/ aftermarket blade and skinner sight.

I'm watching all these Maine cow videos on youtube with dudes popping them from the road with their pumpmasters with tiny scopes.

I can't wait to start hunting with irons when I'm retired and can hunt the entire season but for these wham bam thank you ma'am hunts I've been on lately I'm prepared for a 50-600 yard shot and don't want to bring 2 rifles.

kbarnes

FNG
I'm a fan of old lever guns. I shot my Alaskan brown bear with a Win model 1886 50 express caliber loaded with 450 gr barnes original. I've also shot numerous elk, porcupines ,and prairie dogs with the same gun. My son, daughter and I are going moose hunting in a week and he will be shooting a Win model 1895 in a 405. Just know you limitations and there should be no problems. Good luck

tim88

FNG
i have 2 years before going to newfoundland and this is really what i'm leaning towards for my hunt. hunts are 2x1 so I figure if dad has his 308 i can take the 338-06 and have most things covered, or take the 280 as a spare and ditch the open sights a few days in if opportunities aren't plentiful but then it is the extra weight/hassle of flying with 2 guns

I’m currently on a draw moose hunt for 15 days with a lever action sporting a skinner peep sight. No regrets! Seeing lots of cows, elk and small bull moose let’s hope for a cranker as we get closer to the rut.

I carry two rifles but one stays in the boat. I have my short range (200yds and less) and my longer range 400yds max rifle. Though the magnification in the long range is 2-12 so it could be used either scenario. I want to use irons, but my eye sight doesn’t really allow me to. But I also can’t use a scope with my eye glasses.

i have 2 years before going to newfoundland and this is really what i'm leaning towards for my hunt. hunts are 2x1 so I figure if dad has his 308 i can take the 338-06 and have most things covered, or take the 280 as a spare and ditch the open sights a few days in if opportunities aren't plentiful but then it is the extra weight/hassle of flying with 2 guns
You have to pay for your rifle case as a checked bag anyway, so might as well get a two rifle Pelican case (or the Harbor Freight knock off). I'm always well under the 50lb limit.