Thoughts on buying both the 22Mag and 44mag?

I’m about to take a big drink of the Kifaru kool-aid. I’ve been going back and forth all week trying to decide what would be the best option for me. I need a bigg(er) pack for 3-5 day camps/hunts. I also want a smaller pack for when I just do a day hike/fishing/scouting or an overnight camp where I’ll be returning back to the truck in less than 24-36 hours. I’m pretty set on the 44mag for the larger pack. I will listen to other opinions though. On the smaller pack, I was initially going to get a Shape Charge and add a couple of pockets to it. Then I go to thinking, why not just get the 22Mag as well and use the same frame for both packs? It would be cheaper, although at this point price really isn’t any issue. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions here? I know someone will bring up the Stryker, but I’m just not warm and fuzzy with that one just yet. I need to see it in person and see how some other folks are using it. On the day hikes/fishing I want to be able to carry a small shelter, bag, fly rod, a change of warmer clothes etc.....

Give me some feed back here. Planning to get the order process started in the next day or so.

tdot

WKR
There is something nice about having the smaller frame of the Shape Charge. I run the 14r and 44Mag and I wish I'd bought the Shape Charge instead of the 14r. Might do that in the Spring. If you dont need the load carrying capacity of the frame, I would stay with one of the lighter packs.

I know some guys like the 44Mag in day mode, but I find it to be its biggest weakness.

Depends if you want to replace which bag is on the frame each time you want the other bag. It’s not that much of a hassle but it would definitely get old.

The Shape Charge can be a stand alone pack or put on the frame. The 22 mag can only be used on the frame. That’s what would have me lean towards the Shape Charge. It’s a slightly smaller ci but is more versatile.

ljalberta

WKR
I love Kifaru, but I used the frame once on a backpacking trip and now it only joins me on hunting trips where I plan(hope) to haul out a load of meat. It really is overkill. Now for scouting and backpacking trips, whether it be overnight or 7+ days I use a 2.5lb Osprey pack that is comfortable up to about 45lbs. Plus, it's a whole lot less sweaty in the heat of the summer, with smaller, more breathable pads and straps. So personally, I'd get the 44Mag for hunting, then if you want a smaller setup for shorter trips/scouting/camping, I'd get a separate pack that is lighter and more comfortable for the lesser loads.

zacattack

WKR
I’m about to take a big drink of the Kifaru kool-aid. I’ve been going back and forth all week trying to decide what would be the best option for me. I need a bigg(er) pack for 3-5 day camps/hunts. I also want a smaller pack for when I just do a day hike/fishing/scouting or an overnight camp where I’ll be returning back to the truck in less than 24-36 hours. I’m pretty set on the 44mag for the larger pack. I will listen to other opinions though. On the smaller pack, I was initially going to get a Shape Charge and add a couple of pockets to it. Then I go to thinking, why not just get the 22Mag as well and use the same frame for both packs? It would be cheaper, although at this point price really isn’t any issue. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions here? I know someone will bring up the Stryker, but I’m just not warm and fuzzy with that one just yet. I need to see it in person and see how some other folks are using it. On the day hikes/fishing I want to be able to carry a small shelter, bag, fly rod, a change of warmer clothes etc.....

Give me some feed back here. Planning to get the order process started in the next day or so.

What about like a native or bane for your day trips? Then you can also use it as a lid on the 44 mag for extra space.

sveltri

WKR
I had both the 22 and 44. I too did not like the 44 in day mode, I was not able to get things as tight as I'd like. If I got the opportunity for a 3-5 day trip, I'm pretty sure I'd just utilize the 22 mag meat shelf and a dry sack. With additional pockets the 22 mag seems more versatile for me.

OP
Trevor73402
I appreciate all the replies. I went ahead and ordered the Shape Charge with the Sherman pocket and a belt pocket, along with some pull outs for the smaller pack. I'll order the 44mag and frame in a week or so after I sell a couple other things I don't need.

You’ll love the Sherman pocket as well! I was skeptical until I saw it first hand

I live in OKC, if you need to check out a frame in person I’d be glad to help you out on that

Kotaman

WKR
I went with the 44 Mag and Hooligan. I have since ordered a 22 Mag with a tactical 22” frame. (I previously had a gen1 22 mag on a duplex). I will probably sell the Hooligan. (Also have a TarryAll that will probably go.). The Gen2 22 Mag is going to be my daypack.

I have both the 22mag and 44mag. I think they compliment each other perfectly. Why run the 44mag compressed down where it is kinda of floppy or bundled up when you can just run a smaller pack and everything fits perfect. Love the combo and think I have all my bases covered with the 22mag, 44mag and reckoning.

OP
Trevor73402
I went with the 44 Mag and Hooligan. I have since ordered a 22 Mag with a tactical 22” frame. (I previously had a gen1 22 mag on a duplex). I will probably sell the Hooligan. (Also have a TarryAll that will probably go.). The Gen2 22 Mag is going to be my daypack.
What are the differences between the Duplex lite and the tactical frames?

oldhorse

WKR
I run a Gen 2 22mag on a 22 inch hunter frame with carbon arrow stays. I ran a Gen 1 22MAG on this frame for three years. Had a Xing and a Terryall as well during that time. I prefer the 22 inch frame/22mag combination, so I sold the Xing and Terryall . I also have a 44mag on a 24 inch lite frame. I really like the layout of the 22/44Mag bags. I also very much like being able to have both packs ready to go at a moment's notice.

I have both bags, I’ll make you a great deal on both!! 😂

I won’t be using either after the Stryker.

GHOSTofWENDELL

Lil-Rokslider
The AMR doesn't get alot of love but, I think it is a very versatile bag. Can be made basically flat for day mode and just utilize the two main sewn in pouches on the front. For extended trips it gets as big as anyone could need.

Tactical frame is more “heavy duty”. But I wanted a 22” frame for the 22 Mag, and Tactical is the only one available in “22.
Does the mag 22 fit smaller frames? I have a MR NICE frame that I got for a steal many moons ago. Too cheap right now to buy a Kifaru duplex. The NICE frame is 20” I believe

SkinnyPete

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Shape Charge and 44mag.
I find it ideal for doing just about exactly what you are talking about doing.