Thoughts on a Hoyt Super Hawk?

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
Once, pre children, I was an avid bowhunter. I would always prefer bowhunting over rifle hunting. Once the kids came, free time wasn't so free anymore.

Nonetheless, I'm planning an archery elk hunt next year and the training begins now. I've always shot Hoyts, but I'm not opposed to something else. My current bow is about 14 year old....and technology has come a long way since then. It'll work, but being a gear junkie, I'm looking at something a tad newer. On my older Hoyt, I was a 29.5" draw at 74#'s.

Which brings me to the Hoyt Superhawk. I think it's a 2009. I found a used one that's hunt ready. it think I can bet it for ~$400. From the looks of it, the draw is adjustable to 30" and up to 70#'s, which would probably be plenty for me now.

I like the idea of getting a hunt ready bow. The sight, rest, stabilizer, quiver on my old bow is nothing special, so an upgrade would be nice. I like how compact the super hawk is, but I also realize that is most modern bows.

I'm just wondering if this would be a good option, or I should keep looking. I'm most likely buying something used to save money.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about that particular bow. The price for it sounds kind a high to me I think if you shop around you could find a better deal check out the archery talk classified section.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
The superhawk was/is a great bow. The 2013 Hoyt charger is basically an upgraded superhawk IMO. I'd be Leary at paying $400 for it at four years old. The charger sells for $499 and you could prob pick up a used one for $400. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Thanks

$

Lawnboi

WKR
The superhawk was a steal for the price. It was basicall an Alphamax 32(and the AM still is a great bow) with a cast riser. Very good bow, and I think the best economy bow hoyt has put out since the inception of the Alphamax.

Though I have not shot their new offering yet.

OR Archer

WKR
The Super Hawk wasn't a bad bow. For $400 though it would need to have some really good accessories on it.

I think before you pull the trigger on said bow you should take a look at some new bows also. There are some really good bows on the market these days for not a ton of money. Hoyt Charger, Mission Ballistic and Blaze to name a few. Most of these can be had in a kit for not much more than the bare bow price.

OP
mireland62887

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly why I asked. The components on the bow I was looking for are okay...nothing special.

I've browsed Archery Talk and there are quite a few bows in that range.

I'll save my money and keep shopping. Thanks all.

boom

WKR
hold on!! i found a smoking deal for a package..lemme go and find the link.

OR Archer

WKR
Problem with that Prime is the cams are draw length specific and can't be shortened unless you do a swap

OP
mireland62887

mireland62887

Lil-Rokslider
That's a great deal...but I don't need all the other stuff. I'd take it for less money without the arrows, 3D target, rangefinder, hard and soft cases, etc. Thanks for the link though. My research has become an obsession....but is par for the course for just about everyone on Rokslide!

The hunt continues....

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hoyt Spyder 34 listed above. It's legit. I just bought the wrong bow I really wanted a turbo. Feel free to ask any questions. I can send pics if you want. If not I understand.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
Problem with that Prime is the cams are draw length specific and can't be shortened unless you do a swap

True and while a PIA, if I'm not mistaken, Prime will swap out the cams free of charge for your specific draw length.

Snipershirt

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Hoyt Spyder 34 listed above. It's legit. I just bought the wrong bow I really wanted a turbo. Feel free to ask any questions. I can send pics if you want. If not I understand.

Co-sign here, the Spyder 34 is a great bow and that's an ever greater price pending your draw length is 29" or greater. If it were a #2 cam that bow would be sold to me already!

boom

WKR
That's a great deal...but I don't need all the other stuff. I'd take it for less money without the arrows, 3D target, rangefinder, hard and soft cases, etc. Thanks for the link though. My research has become an obsession....but is par for the course for just about everyone on Rokslide!

The hunt continues....

hey, i just realized you live nearby!! hello!

anyways. things have changed. a bow with a 29" drawlength, pulling 70lbs, is NOT the same animal as a modern bow with the same specs. not with respect to arrows. if you buy a new bow, you will need arrows. cams are more efficient and aggressive requiring a stiffer arrow.

i had a bow in 2007 that shot a relatively soft arrow (0.400" spine)..got a new bow in 2010 and with the crazy cam..the arrows would shoot around corners! nothing went straight. i now have 0.300" spine arrows. same bow specs.

so if you are thinking of shooting old arrows, they may not ever shoot well. just giving you something to think about