Thorofare wilderness hunt

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
It's a long ride into camp with beautiful views. Each day we rode out in the dark to get up to high glassing spots before daylight. Each day we saw elk but with warmer weather than normal the elk headed to timber early so that limited how long we had to move on them. we had several close calls but wind switching, and thermals got us before shots fired. One day I had a real big bull at 200 yards but no shot opportunity as he didn't fallow the cows, he took a slightly different path that put pine trees in the path between him and I. One day we had a real nice bull bedded in a shootable spot, but the wind was horrible (estimated 30 plus mph cross wind) and coupled with not being able to get much closer that 475 yds I elected to pass that opportunity. Several other possible shot opportunities through the hunt I elected not to try on because of 700-900 range which I consider not an opportunity as I'm not ready to shoot past 500-600 yds. Last day we chose to push into bedding on the big boy we had seen and worked on several times including the high wind day and the longer shot days. We knew his bedding area and moved in. Guide set me up and started cow calling. He fired up in his bed but refused to come closer. I knew this was now a bow hunting type hunt with the close quarters and thick timber. Guide finally gave him a bugle and that did it. He was up and coming. To shorten the story, he held up just inside cover at 42 yards screaming and raking trees. I could see parts of him and his rack but no shots. I scooted my but slowly across the top of that small opening inches at a time for at least 20-30 minutes trying to get an open shot. I ran out of room to move without making a big move that I knew I wouldn't get away with that close. Shortly after running out of moving room the bull finally grew tired of the game and moved off into thicker timber as it got close to time to head back to camp. I closed the last day with no shot fired but very full from the experience. we worked that screaming bull for well over two hours. not to mention the 2-1/2 to 3 hour ride to get around and above his bedding area.

LFC911

WKR
Is it a thing on these horse hunts to be done hunting an hour before sundown to allow time to get pack to camp?
We hunted right up until dark and rode back in the dark. Horses can see amazingly in the dark, even if you can't. We rode in and out in the dark, no moon and no headlamps. The guide just knew where to turn on the trail and the horses did the rest.

We hunted right up until dark and rode back in the dark. Horses can see amazingly in the dark, even if you can't. We rode in and out in the dark, no moon and no headlamps. The guide just knew where to turn on the trail and the horses did the rest.

That's good to hear. I know some outfitters operate like how you mentioned. I was surprised to hear not all of them do. Giving up the last hour of hunting every evening would be pretty tough to swallow at the prices these outfitters are commanding.

troutman

FNG
I hunted with Grundy53 and second his comments on CQOutfitters. It's a tough hunt in beautifull country, but we stuck with it and I killed this bugling bull at 70 yards on the last day. Keep your head on a swivel while quartering your elk. We had a grizzly come into 30 yards on Grundy's elk while waiting for the mules to pack out his bull.

Attachments

• Elk.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    336.2 KB · Views: 0