Thor bullet sizing

Ucsdryder

WKR
I got the sample park from thor. I started with the smallest bullet. Seated pretty easily, probably 10lbs max force. I went up to the next size .501” and it wouldn’t seat. I got it about an inch down the barrel before I had to punch it back out. It had significant grooves from the rifling. I tried the .500” again and this time it was even easier to seat. Not sure where to go from here? I assume the smallest bullet? The gun was freshly cleaned down to bare metal.

DanimalW

WKR
I think I read somewhere that you can spin a penny against the bottom to add a little flare to snug up the fit if needed. You don’t want too tight.

HNTR918

WKR
I got the sample park from thor. I started with the smallest bullet. Seated pretty easily, probably 10lbs max force. I went up to the next size .501” and it wouldn’t seat. I got it about an inch down the barrel before I had to punch it back out. It had significant grooves from the rifling. I tried the .500” again and this time it was even easier to seat. Not sure where to go from here? I assume the smallest bullet? The gun was freshly cleaned down to bare metal.

I bought the Thor sizing kit.
The .500'' went down with almost no pressure.
The .501'' went down with ~10 lbs of pressure.
The .502'' got about 2'' in with ~50lb of pressure and I pushed it back out the muzzle.
I didn't even try the .503''.

Fast forward, I ordered 50 rounds of the .501's and was surprised that they went down even easier than the sizing kit.
I could load them with two fingers on the push rod.
I was also getting 3'' groups at 100 yards with a scope.

So I then ordered 50 rounds of the .502's and they fit way better than the sizing pack.
I think they may make the sizing pack .0005'' larger than the actual production packages.
I also got a ball starter, its hard the first 5'' but after that the groove engrave the skirt and it slides down easier with the push rod.

My groups are now right on the edge of 2'' and I have single digit SD's when measuring powder by weight.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I bought the Thor sizing kit.
The .500'' went down with almost no pressure.
The .501'' went down with ~10 lbs of pressure.
The .502'' got about 2'' in with ~50lb of pressure and I pushed it back out the muzzle.
I didn't even try the .503''.

Fast forward, I ordered 50 rounds of the .501's and was surprised that they went down even easier than the sizing kit.
I could load them with two fingers on the push rod.
I was also getting 3'' groups at 100 yards with a scope.

So I then ordered 50 rounds of the .502's and they fit way better than the sizing pack.
I think they may make the sizing pack .0005'' larger than the actual production packages.
I also got a ball starter, its hard the first 5'' but after that the groove engrave the skirt and it slides down easier with the push rod.

My groups are now right on the edge of 2'' and I have single digit SD's when measuring powder by weight.
I have a ball starter and it would not budge. I was putting 100 plus pounds on the .501”. I’m really worried about loading after the first shot without cleaning. It’s amazing that .001” makes that much of a difference! Not sure what to do. I sent thor an email. Let’s see what they say…

Slugz

WKR
I thought I read some where ya want to use the one that you need 20-30lbs pressure to load.

I had this same issue. I called Thor and they were extremely helpful. Ultimately, there is no magic to the reference to 20-30 lbs pressure to load. They care that the bullet has some pressure so that it will engage the rifling and not fall out. The barrel will also expand as it gets hot, making the fit a little more snug. I went with the smaller size and have had great results.

I dont remember my size but I can load them holing the rod with a few fingers. The next size up I could not load. I have never had any issues using the smaller size that loads really easily. Accuracy is great as well.

cgasner1

WKR
The penny thing is spot on the guy from Thor told me to do that when I called couple years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What rifle are you trying to size?

I did the Thor sample pack and didn't have near the trouble that you seem to be having with either my old Remington and my son's Stryker Fire...they were both .502.