Thinnest Merino Socks (Crispi Shrinkage)

Two of 3 pairs of crispi’s I’ve owned have shrunk a full half size. Fool me once, yadda yadda. But I think I can get away with one of my pairs still fitting decently with extremely thin socks. I’m very partial to darn tough but don’t know if they make a super thin line? Both my Colorado’s and Nevada’s have shrunk on me- the Nevada’s are almost unwearable. My wild rocks are still all good (mostly). I’ve seen others post about this in the past so I know it’s not just me. Anyway, anybody have a recommendation for thin merino socks that hold up to wear?

Also- any recommendations on new boot companies for the future? 😉

As a member of the Patriot Guard Riders I find myself cooking in my riding boots on some missions, standing in a flag line in triple digit heat taught me that thin merino dress socks were best. I get the ones for men with bigger calves. Any department store will have em.

flags.jpg

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Are you putting them in the dryer? All of my merino gets a hang dry, I've never had socks shrink on me (FL, Lorpen, Darn Tuff, maybe forgetting others)

Every pair of crispis has shrunk on me as well. Once the leather gets wet, it’s inevitable it seems. But they’re so comfy when they fit! I as well will go from full cushion to half cushion med weight when I feel them getting tighter.

OP
coloyooper
Are you putting them in the dryer? All of my merino gets a hang dry, I've never had socks shrink on me (FL, Lorpen, Darn Tuff, maybe forgetting others)
I think you misunderstood. My socks are not the issue, the boots themselves have shrunk.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
I love Farm to Feet and Darn Tough. I work construction and I’m in boots every day and my darn toughs dont shrink or rip plus they’re guaranteed for life. I think Farm to Feet are a little more comfortable but haven’t tested them for years like the Darn Toughs.

DeerCatcherUT/CO

Lil-Rokslider
Also I’m wearing my second pair of Salewa now. I have a pair of Crow GTX for really steep nasty big mtn stuff and the Mtn trainer for hunts where I want a lighter boot with more flex.

Jbehredt

WKR
Rei will stretch boots. They’re very upfront about them probably leaking like sieves afterwards though.

CCooper

WKR
I also purchased a boot stretcher off amazon to make a few light tweaks on a pair of Crispi's and it worked great. I will most likely need to reuse it from time to time, but it did the trick.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
just so you are aware; your shoe size will change over time (not overnight) and it changes for larger

used to be a 9.5 in my 20's, now a solid 11 in my mid- 60's :D

For my tall Schnee's pacs that are a little tight, I use Smartwool their OTC zero cushion merino socks- thin as a dress sock, but merino- I think they have shorter zero cushion varieties if OTC is too tall

Ucsdryder

WKR
Weird that they shrink. Has anybody talked to crispi? Only issue I’ve had with shrinking boots it gettin them too close to the fire.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got two pair of Thors, the oldest is going on it's third season (I also use them snowshoeing in more moderate temps) and no shrinkage with mine

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Smartwool Hike Light. They have a decent cushion on the bottom and very thin on the tops. I wear them with a pair of dress boots that are a little tight.

Black ice

FNG
Wright socks makes a quality merino sock, their lightweight version isn't enough for my liking but would pry fit the bill here.
IMHO their socks are more breathable than DT's.

OP
coloyooper
I also purchased a boot stretcher off amazon to make a few light tweaks on a pair of Crispi's and it worked great. I will most likely need to reuse it from time to time, but it did the trick.
Could you link me what you purchased?