Thinking about trying a Bivy

EdP

WKR
I thought about a tarp and bivy vs floorless tent and nest. In these parts, without the tarp the bivy would be covered with dew every morning and would prob have a condensation problem inside the bivy. With the tarp the bivy+tarp weight are pretty much the same as tent+nest. I went with the tent and nest for condensation control and overhead cover.

OP
G

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
I've purchased 2 different Bivys in the Rok Slide classifieds and will be giving them a shot. I think they will work great for what I'm looking to do when out rummaging around with the goats. In nice weather I prefer Cowboy camping but want to be able to add just a little more protection from bugs or maybe a sprinkle.

Kris

I thought about a tarp and bivy vs floorless tent and nest. In these parts, without the tarp the bivy would be covered with dew every morning and would prob have a condensation problem inside the bivy. With the tarp the bivy+tarp weight are pretty much the same as tent+nest. I went with the tent and nest for condensation control and overhead cover.
I have both. My bivy and tarp are 4.5oz and 9 oz respectively. No major weight penalty for my daypack. My Kifaru Sawtooth is my floorless and is significantly more

EdP

WKR
The Kifaru Sawtooth is 4.5 lbs and MUCH larger so not really a fair comparison to your tarp/bivy combo. Kifaru says two people 6ft+ can stand in the Sawtooth. My Kuiu Summit Star with nest is under 2 lbs and is not the lightest offering on the market. Looking at typical bivy weights, 12-13oz is reasonable for good protection. I did see an emergency bivy for limited use at under 5 oz. The Kifaru Supertarp is 17.6 oz and provides good coverage in adverse conditions. The sheep tarp is 9 oz and provides very minimal shelter so not a camp shelter (for me).

I think a more reasonable tent vs tarp/bivy comparison would be the 17.6oz Supertarp and a 12-13oz bivy for a total of about 30oz vs 27oz Kuiu Sumit Star including canopy, pole, nest, lines, and stakes.

OP
G

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not interested in a tent. I've got a couple small tents. I'm not splitting hairs over weight as I've got a pack string of goats that need something to pack. I was asking about a bivy as a away to offer just a little more protection over Cowboy camping as that is my favorite. Most nights I might still just sleep under the stars if I don't have a lot of bugs or chance of rain showers.
I'll be testing 2 different Bivys starting in a few months.

Kris

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I am also a big fan of the bivy. I've had a few but found them constricting. I sleep on my side(s) and would often wake up with them twisted around me. I use a quilt and like having my pad and quilt held together in the bivy. It also adds a bit of extra warmth and protection from the dew.

I decided to make my own roomier bivy out of tyvek (the softer type, not the housewrap), double sided carpet tape, and velcro, based on ideas I saw on youtube. I've been pretty happy with it. It is roomy enough but still keeps me enclosed. It's also very lightweight and cheap. I wouldn't want to sleep through a night of rain in it, though.

One thing about the design is that the velcro sticks to itself better than to the tyvek so i took it off. I thiink I'd do something different if i need it to close up, but that hasn't been important to me lately. I've thought about putting a screen window in it to watch stars bug-free, which would be very easy to do.
Any way you could post some photos of this setup?

sivart

WKR
I'm curious about trying a bivy.
It's a new concept to me so maybe I'm looking for something other than a bivy.

In a perfect world I prefer to sleep under the stars with a quilt.
But bugs/snakes and weather can make that less than desirable.
I can pack in a small 1 man floor less shelter and be pretty happy but I'm looking for something a little closer to that feeling of sleeping out side.
I'd like something that is floored that I can crawl into without much effort but will protect from wet ground, bugs, snakes, and some rain. Heavy rain I could use a tent or tarp shelter over it. More concerned with that rain shower that can show up that wasn't forecasted.
I'm 6'-5" and 210 lbs and really don't like feeling cramped or crawling into something tiny so it needs to open up and not feel like crawling into a sock. I'm a side sleeper also but sleep on ALL sides. I basically rotate every few hrs.
I'm looking to use it early spring- end of October. Doesn't need to be ultralight but lighter weight is preferred.

I'm interested in people's thoughts, suggestions and pics.

Kris
coming from a guy whose tried the bivy multiple times, save your money. It really sucks. No bug protection. Feels like a coffin. really hard to stay dry in rain. The ultralight tents really don't weigh much more.

I bit the bullet and bought the durston mid pro 2. 19 oz. bug net, keeps you try. Hard to beat, but expensive.

Swamppirate

Lil-Rokslider
I use an older model Cabela’s Northstar bivy. It has worked well for me. No condensation issues. You can still get the on ebay.

Attachments

• 2BA71CCD-7F2E-46CB-997F-93A0C5814F18.jpeg
    2BA71CCD-7F2E-46CB-997F-93A0C5814F18.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
G

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
Same thing as an Eureka Solitaire

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I looked at these. I really like it. I can pull the fly back and see the stars and not have bugs or use the fly to get away from a summer rain shower.
I might have to pick one up and compare to my other 2 Bivys.

Kris

Any way you could post some photos of this setup?
Here are a couple of pics of the bivy I made. It's really simple. I've used this for a few years and have removed the velcro I used to keep it closed. I found it was unnecessary for my needs and it was the heaviest part of the construction. The bivy is 0.7 pounds now. With my tyvek ground sheet and ultralight tarp, my whole setup is about 2 pounds.

This setup is good for keeping the dew/frost off my bag, keeps my quilt in place, and everything clean. I wouldn't want to use this or any bivy in a rainstorm, having spent a night in an all night downpour once. This works for me. It was really cheap and it's lightweight. I will probably modify this so that the opening isn't as large. I may also put a couple of small pieces of velcro back on to keep it more secure and how I want it. And like I said, putting a bugscreen window in to look at the stars would be easy.

You can purchase something just like it from 3F for $16: https://3fulgear.com/product/accessories/tyvek-bivy/, but I like the dimensions of mine better. There are a few videos on youtube like this one (
) that show you how to do it, but I would be sure to get the softer tyvek, as opposed to the crinkly house wrap product.

Hope this is useful information...

Attachments

• 20230308_113501[1].jpg
    20230308_113501[1].jpg
    867.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 20230308_113535[1].jpg
    20230308_113535[1].jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 21

Drenalin

WKR
I use a Yama Mtn Gear tarp and a Katabatic bivy currently. It’s fine, but I like the Borah bivy a lot better and probably wouldn’t even consider anything else when this one needs to be replaced. I’m considering something like a Gossamer Gear One or Two for the same weight though.

With all due respect, with so many affordable, light, floor less or floored tents availible in today's market, I think you are insane to give up mass amounts of comfort to save a few ounces.

Reactions: EdP
With all due respect, with so many affordable, light, floor less or floored tents availible in today's market, I think you are insane to give up mass amounts of comfort to save a few ounces.
I mostly use mine without a tent or tarp. In most situations I use it, the weather is nice and I don't need anything else. I guess for me a tent doesn't amount to mass amounts of comfort. Plus, like the OP, I like to sleep under the stars.

I mostly use mine without a tent or tarp. In most situations I use it, the weather is nice and I don't need anything else. I guess for me a tent doesn't amount to mass amounts of comfort. Plus, like the OP, I like to sleep under the stars.

I more so mean comfort/shelter from unexpected rain and even early season snow. Keeps your sleeping bag dry over multiple days, and your gear dry.

I more so mean comfort/shelter from unexpected rain and even early season snow. Keeps your sleeping bag dry over multiple days, and your gear dry.
That makes sense. I'm usually more concerned with heat and would be happy to get some moisture.

CMF

WKR
I have a bora bivy on my list of gear I want to acquire but haven't tried a bivy yet.

The ones like the Ionosphere seem as heavy as a tent. A bivy without weight benefits over a tent doesn't seem worth it.

The SG Skyair seems like a system that's light and offers options to see the stars(Mesh only) but still has options for protection like a tent depending on the weather, etc. I'd have one if I hunted alone much, but I'm usually with the wife or kids, so I have Durston x-mid 2. With a bora bivy I could go alone and carry the xmid fly and leave the inner behind saving me 8-10oz.

Which two are you trying?

Beendare

WKR
Fwiw, I dumped my bivy decades ago for the many advantages of a LW tent.

Among other disadvantages, Bivy’s can condensate putting moisture in your bag.

These days a guy can get an incredible 2# +/- tent…a no brainer

edit; Kind of a funny story- now- grin but not at the time

The event that finally put me over the edge with bivy’s was about 20 years ago. I backpacked in to the wiminuche to call for some buddies in early archery as I had tagged out.

Early season, decent weather, right? Not…it snowed for days…whiteout so bad we couldnt hunt. No room in their tent so I use my baby and I had to set up underneath a thick fir tree and add a bunch of pine bows just to keep all the snow off of it.
It was torture in those conditions Like living in a coffin.

Then; I must have had pine cones bits or something on the bivy as mice chewed through it in a few spots. The one night we got in late, and I crawled in to realize melting snow leaked in the holes soaking part of my bag and froze about 1/3rd of my pad. Thank gawd I packed my Syn bag as it eventually warmed up.

Last edited:
OP
G

GoatPackr

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bora bivy on my list of gear I want to acquire but haven't tried a bivy yet.

The ones like the Ionosphere seem as heavy as a tent. A bivy without weight benefits over a tent doesn't seem worth it.

The SG Skyair seems like a system that's light and offers options to see the stars(Mesh only) but still has options for protection like a tent depending on the weather, etc. I'd have one if I hunted alone much, but I'm usually with the wife or kids, so I have Durston x-mid 2. With a bora bivy I could go alone and carry the xmid fly and leave the inner behind saving me 8-10oz.

Which two are you trying?
The first one I picked up is an older but like new gortex Outdoors Research Helium Bivy.

The second is a second hand but never used Snugpack stratosphere.

So far with indepth testing in the Living room wilderness I'm liking the Helium the best.

I'm planning to pick up a Eureka Solitaire before summer. I really like the looks of it. It looks like it will breath better like a tent with a little more room than most Bivys but still offer light protection yet be able to look at the stars when weather allows. Being able to look around at night at my animals without going through the hassle of unzipping a tent is import also. Especially with younger goats that are learning to be tied and not get tangled in a highline.

Kris