Things to do in Spokane

hunterjmj

WKR
Will be going to a training in Spokane this May for a couple days. Will be bringing the family. Looks like Solverwood won't be open so looking for recommendations for kid stuff.

Been a long time since I've had little kids. And didn't have them while I was here. Seeing you're from Montana....we don't have nearly the cool, outdoor stuff you may have.

I am sure there is indoor trampoline parks, Escape rooms can be family oriented. Down the road an hour back into Idaho is the indoor water park at the ski area hotel in Kellogg.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
How old are your kids? Theres a kids museum/science place in downtown that’s fun for little ones. But like above said be very alert around the drug zombies. Across the boarder you’re it’s like crossing into the promise land with zero homeless. CDA has a few big parks on the lake in downtown that are good. Also Check out Triple Play in Hayden.

Article 4

WKR
Stay away from Bus station area in Spokane - Zombies
Big Rd Barn in Spokane - Petting zoo with otters and all kinds of fun stuff
Mobius Discovery Center Museum - hands on
Tubbs Hill is a fun walk near downtown CDA -

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to pile on....but it'll be a good opportunity to show your kids how bad choices can ruin their lives.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Everything I know about is downtown, the only other place I've been is the Trader Joes.

Pick up some lime scooters and ride up and down the riverfront trail on both sides of downtown. It's great. Big municipal water park and playground right there on the N side of the river as well. (I would not recommend the gondola).

ETA: the set of bars/restaurants in the old powerplant is worth checking out and will blow the mind of kids of the right age, you're encouraged to wonder around in there.

Vaultman

WKR
WOW! Spokane must have changed since I lived there (moved in 2009), based on the above comments.

I have been to Riverfront park in the last couple years, and it is a gorgeous park, but if the homeless have taken over then probably not.
I used to live up towards nine mile, and Riverside Park (different place) was a favorite place. There is a fee to be there but it is a fun place to hike around, then hit Downriver Grill (Gargonzola fries & their Chicken Marsalla are a fav.) on the way back to DT. The Steamplant Grill is a good place to eat. Neither are cheap, but they are good.

Manito Park is gorgous the right time of year. If the kids like plants/flowers. Depending on what week/weekend in May you might hit Bloomsday, which the place will be packed! If that is the case, then DT will be a madhouse, so I woud stay out of there if possible.

levus

FNG
I was there for work a few months back and had some really good food. The filet at Churchills was probably the best that I have had. I also had one at the Wild Sage that was amazing too. The smash burger at Durkin's was one of the best burgers I have had anywhere and it's a really cool bar.

I live here currently. Most of the above is true. But Churchills and Durkins are places I put on decent clothes and take my wife. Either would be a $200 bill for you, wife and couple kids.

Manito Park much safer and roomy than anything downtown.

The powerplant stuff is all cool....and spendy. Steamplant grill is neat, but again...these are not gonna be $13 burger plates.

Basically skip most anything "downtown". South Hill will be safer and more "uppity" which will be anything S of I-90.

Cat Tails park is a semi sad big cat viewing place north of Spokane. Might be worth an hour or two.

Vaultman

WKR
I live here currently. Most of the above is true. But Churchills and Durkins are places I put on decent clothes and take my wife. Either would be a $200 bill for you, wife and couple kids.

Manito Park much safer and roomy than anything downtown.

The powerplant stuff is all cool....and spendy. Steamplant grill is neat, but again...these are not gonna be $13 burger plates.

Basically skip most anything "downtown". South Hill will be safer and more "uppity" which will be anything S of I-90.

Cat Tails park is a semi sad big cat viewing place north of Spokane. Might be worth an hour or two.
I couldn't recall the name, but yes "Cat Tails". I remember taking my little ones there, but i is kinda sad. Everytime I think of that place my brain goes....

Screenshot 2024-03-12 141256.png

Wrench

WKR
Find this building. It says Washington water power on it(sorry I dont have a pic from the west side of the plant). Right next door is a good hands on place for kids. The park is right here and you can ride the gondola over the falls.

Beyond that......go to Coeur D'Alene. 20161206_114033.jpg

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. My kids are 6 & 8 and we figured there must be a few decent places left. It seems if you avoid downtowns the rif raf diminishes.

Reactions: TVW

dwils233

FNG
I work in downtown everyday, and while the homeless problems are way worse than they used to be, it's nothing compared to other cities. Situational awareness will avoid 99% of potential issues and the homeless population doesn't get in your face ..they're just kind of shuffling around. If you avoid problem spots, you'll be fine.

We got a Lego store, that's cool for kids inside the downtown mall is neat too. A good itinerary downtown is to go to Mobius children's museum in the WA power plant building, then check out river front park and the gondolas and new playground, then swing into the mall to check out the Lego store and then take the skywalk from Nordstrom's to the library. If you avoid the first floor of the library, you'll miss a homeless crowd, and you'll find a cool little play area that looks out over the river.

You can also checkout Kendall yards neighborhood to grab ice cream and a slice of pizza and check out some shops. Manito park is super cool and if you want a fun family hike, the deep creek area is nice.

By may Spokane starts to really shine again for outdoor stuff. Keep an eye out for events, go to an Indians baseball game, go to no-li brewery and check out the river, ride the Hiawatha in Idaho, got up downtown CDA and get a Hudson Burger, or shoot up north to Sandpoint and Priest River

Wrench

WKR
I grew up in a suburb of Spokane and worked for the local utility for years. Watching the city slip to its current status is heartbreaking to me. I used to love coming down sunset hill in the evening after a long road trip.

Now my rule is that I won't go anywhere in the country without a gun. The lack of crime prosecution is simply mind blowing.

If you stay to the areas I suggested during daylight hours....you can have a good experience, but I wouldn't leave ANYTHING in your car that is worth over 5 bux. They're fine breaking a window for a pair of safety glasses.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Was there 10 years ago or so. Tweakers everywhere downtown.
Did go to the Steam Plant Restaurant that was really good.
Stayed a few nights on the west side of town, kind of on the outskirts.
I remember there were quail and turkey everywhere around the hotel.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
I think it's important for kids to see the seedy/dark side of life. It is real life after all, and can be an important teaching moment.

Aside from that, have a good trip!