thermal / NV set up - special case

Hi all,

Lurked and read and lurked some more and have finally made an account to poll the group direct. I am looking to upgrade my optics set up. I have $8k to spend this year and about $10k for next. FYI - not my money! I perform predator control for a conservation group in Hawaii. I am tasked with removing an introduced avian predator from a nature preserve. So far the set up has consisted of a decoy/game caller set up, a 12 gauge with IR aiming laser, and NOD's. I hunt with a partner and each of us have used PVS-7's for the last 4 years. The target is about the size of a duck and is taken on the wing, usually at 20-30 yards but can sometimes reach out to 40-50 if needed. However my vantage point allows me to see at least 1000 yards. We try to utilize full moon phase whenever we can but sometimes its very cloudy and dim regardless. I hunt with a partner who is collects data and is also spotting. We are typically stationary for 4-5 hours in a blind after arriving on location.

We are limited in 2 areas - 1) detecting targets at long distances in order to lure them in, and 2) quickly acquiring target at close range - often approaches quietly from my periphery or my 6 and is already out of range by the time it's noticed in my tiny FOV. I am intending to outfit the shooter with a dual-tube NVG (maybe 50 degree glass) next year. Far as I can tell, shooter needs to retain NV in at least 1 eye, as there is no better way to point a scattergun at night than with IR laser. I am debating about the utility of either dual band thermal/NV, or dedicated thermal binos for the spotter. Unfortunately, being in Hawaii I do not have the luxury of visiting a store to experience first hand the performance of any device. I understand there will be trade-offs in either situation. I have had the opportunity to use Pulsar Accolade thermal binos, and was blown away by what I could see. Obviously the new Merger line is even better and even their top of the line unit just barely fits in my budget. The other option is go for modularity with a dual band. I MAY be able to source a RH25+PVS-14 in WP for 8k. MAYBE.

Anyone out there have experience with both of these totally disparate set-ups? Maybe you can enlighten me about performance or shortcomings of these set-ups. I'm worried binos will be too magnified (2.5x base) for close-up work and very heavy to hold up for that duration. Im worried a monocular will cause too much eye fatigue or will not be able to detect a feathered body out beyond 100-200 yards.

Thanks to anyone who wants to educate or berate!

I don’t know if you will find many people with the experience you are looking for. Most people on here are using thermals for predator/hog hunting, not finding birds. I would call some of the dealers and have them send you video of various sizes birds and different distances (pretty much every thermal records video) using different units.

I don’t have top of the line thermals, but can detect owls a long ways out there(hundreds of yards). Guessing any of the high end stuff will do what you need it too.

Boltgun

FNG
Thermal will crush NV for detecting living creatures at a distance. The only exception might be flying, where the thermals sometimes take a second to adjust to the heat-less background and NV could easily pick up on movement.

I don’t find a thermal monocular particularly fatiguing to use for long periods. I actually prefer having one eye still adjusted to the dark for moving around, although my primary thermal use is hog hunting, so a little different. The monoculars can be very lightweight, although you’re correct about the base magnification being too much for up close work. My thermals have a 2x base and inside 25 yds it’s tough to track fast movers.

You might try this same question on AR15.com. It’s a little more tactically oriented and they might have more specific insight.

Or call Hyatt Gun Store in Charlotte, NC and ask to talk to the NV/Thermal guy. He’ll talk your ear off and give you a lot of info.