The Unofficial CZ 452/455/457 Thread

Antares

WKR
Thought is might be nice to have a consolidated place for CZ rimfire related pics, builds, and questions.

I'll get it started. I've had this 457 for a few years now. It's gone through several different iterations, but the specs as it sits currently are below.

CZ 457 Pro Varmint
SWFA 10x42, rings, and level
Area 419 rail (15 MOA)
Timney trigger
DIP bolt knob and extended mag release
Titan comb riser
Custom LOP spacers (old cutting board)
Sig SRD22X

IMG_5048.jpeg
IMG_5049.jpeg

ldmay375

FNG
I have a CZ 457 Scout. I have ordered some 5 & 10 round magazines for it. I have not fired it yet, but it seems like a well put together little rifle.
I will probably buy a full sized stock for it. Whenever CZ has them in stock again.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I have a CZ 457 Scout. I have ordered some 5 & 10 round magazines for it. I have not fired it yet, but it seems like a well put together little rifle.
I will probably buy a full sized stock for it. Whenever CZ has them in stock again.

How do you like all that drop in the Scout stock? I grew up shooting flat comb American-style stocks, so those always seemed sort of foreign to me (no pun intended). I'd love to have a Royal with a real pretty piece of wood.

Antares, I like your setup. I'm currently looking to pick up a 457 Pro Varmint as well to build into a trainer. Have not found one yet. Where did you pick up yours? Also, would you still build a trainer off of that platform or would you consider another any others such as a Christensen Ranger?

Antares, I like your setup. I'm currently looking to pick up a 457 Pro Varmint as well to build into a trainer. Have not found one yet. Where did you pick up yours? Also, would you still build a trainer off of that platform or would you consider another any others such as a Christensen Ranger?

I have a 455 "tacticool" model. It's alright. If I were starting from scratch i'd probably get one of the new bergaras or a tikka.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR

I got it direct from CZ. I considered the CA Ranger, T1x, and the Manners stocked CZ 457 "Prescion Trainer." If I were doing it again I still think I'd go with the Pro Varmint. The Boyd's stock is actually pretty good after the LOP and comb adjuments. I couldn't justify the cost of the Manners stock on a trainer. If I wasn't going with the 457 my next choice (by a mile) would be the T1x, but then I'd be spending money on a new stock and getting the barrel threaded. I paid $449 for the Provarmint and it checks a lot of boxes at that price point. The stock is cheap enough that I'm not worried about hacking on it (e.g., I did my first pillar and glass bed job on this rifle, sliced up a cutting board for LOP spacers, have done 3 or 4 different paint jobs, etc.). It's been really fun to tinker with, lots of aftermarket parts available. The factory triiger is very good for what it is, but I found the Timney to be crisper and much easier to adjust.

As an added bonus, it shoots really well. I'll post up some targets if I can manage to get to the range (my last trip turned into a vehicle recovery excersise before I made it to the range). If anyone is familiar with the Appleseed AQT, I shot a 244/250 with this rifle last summer. I was pleased with that. I'd love to shoot a perfect 250 someday and doing it with a bolt gun would be icing on the cake. I also want to start shooting @Formidilosus drill on the regular, but again, my range is all snowed in at the moment.

I have a 455 "tacticool" model. It's alright. If I were starting from scratch i'd probably get one of the new bergaras or a tikka.
I looked at the Bergara BMR, but I really didnt like the stock with its Sporter grip. The Semi Auto BXR has a great stock with a more vertical grip, but I definitely want a bolt action. Seeks like they should have reversed the stock configuration with those two. The Bergara B-14R looks sweet, but its also really heavy for packing around and using outside of a range. I know the Tikka is accurate, but i liked the ergos of the Pro Varmint better. I'll be putting a suppressor on whichever one I get.

I got it direct from CZ. I considered the CA Ranger, T1x, and the Manners stocked CZ 457 "Prescion Trainer." If I were doing it again I still think I'd go with the Pro Varmint. The Boyd's stock is actually pretty good after the LOP and comb adjuments. I couldn't justify the cost of the Manners stock on a trainer. If I wasn't going with the 457 my next choice (by a mile) would be the T1x, but then I'd be spending money on a new stock and getting the barrel threaded. I paid $449 for the Provarmint and it checks a lot of boxes at that price point. The stock is cheap enough that I'm not worried about hacking on it (e.g., I did my first pillar and glass bed job on this rifle, sliced up a cutting board for LOP spacers, have done 3 or 4 different paint jobs, etc.). It's been really fun to tinker with, lots of aftermarket parts available. The factory triiger is very good for what it is, but I found the Timney to be crisper and much easier to adjust.

As an added bonus, it shoots really well. I'll post up some targets if I can manage to get to the range (my last trip turned into a vehicle recovery excersise before I made it to the range). If anyone is familiar with the Appleseed AQT, I shot a 244/250 with this rifle last summer. I was pleased with that. I'd love to shoot a perfect 250 someday and doing it with a bolt gun would be icing on the cake. I also want to start shooting @Formidilosus drill on the regular, but again, my range is all snowed in at the moment.
The range out Maud Road?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I already posted the photo of my 452 FS with a 1-4x Leupold in a squirrel thread but I will add it here, too.

D9F7C95F-215F-41F8-80B6-E9D357569B53.jpeg

I also have a 452 Varmint with a 10X SWFA. My daughter has a 452 Scout with a 2.5-7X Weaver rimfire scope. I wish I would have also bought an Ultra Lux (my brother has one of those) and a left hand American when they were closing them out.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I already posted the photo of my 452 FS with a 1-4x Leupold in a squirrel thread but I will add it here, too.

View attachment 364971

I also have a 452 Varmint with a 10X SWFA. My daughter has a 452 Scout with a 2.5-7X Weaver rimfire scope. I wish I would have also bought an Ultra Lux (my brother has one of those) and a left hand American when they were closing them out.

Wow. That is awesome. I've never seen the full stock before. Beautiful.

My brother has a left hand 452 American that it very nice.

LuvDog

FNG
IMG_2292.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg

The 457 that I put together for my son a few years ago.
Started as a Varmint wood stock
Put it in an XLR Element 3.0 Chassis
Area 419 30 MOA Rail
Scope was a Vortex but has been changed to an Athlon Cronus
YoDave Trigger Spring

It shot so great, that I got a T1x and built it's twin. But the CZ was nicer in every way. So the T1x got sold.

Now I'm waiting to pick up a B14R in lefty to try.

I looked at the Bergara BMR, but I really didnt like the stock with its Sporter grip. The Semi Auto BXR has a great stock with a more vertical grip, but I definitely want a bolt action. Seeks like they should have reversed the stock configuration with those two. The Bergara B-14R looks sweet, but its also really heavy for packing around and using outside of a range. I know the Tikka is accurate, but i liked the ergos of the Pro Varmint better. I'll be putting a suppressor on whichever one I get.

Makes sense. I'm not sure if the trigger is different in the 457 but that is my biggest dislike in the 455. I realize there are aftermarket options. Accuracy is pretty mediocre with most ammo i tried outside of SK standard + which it shoots well.

LuvDog

FNG
Is it just pull weight of the trigger you don't like? A $10 spring will change that.

If not, then there are a couple of bigger dollar options.

TheGDog

WKR
When I first decided I was going to begin hunting in 2014, I also picked up a 452 American Scout model in .22 LR to begin teaching the boy how to shoot. After teaching him with iron sites, slapped a 2x7-32mm Crossfire II on it. That little rifle has really impressed me in terms of accuracy and just the fit and finish of it. Real light too. It was great shooting it with Quiet-22's, ya don't even need EarPro for that! Setup as targets... I put out full leftover beer cans from a pool party we'd hosted. When he'd hit one, the liquid of course would shoot out of the hole made, and I said "Look! It's Peeing!" which made him laugh and got him very into it with such a reactive target!

P.S. a week later I went back to this spot, and a Doe came in... and boy she really had curiousity to sniff around at the spot where all the beer had spilt! So mental note... deers dig beer!
WP_20141005_009.jpg

For Boy Scouts, on a outdoor shooting day we had, to help get them ready for shotgun and rifle merit badges... one of the assistant leaders who brought one of the .22's the boys were all supposed to use.. the numb nuts hadn't even cleaned/lubed it, and that particular rifle was having frustrating feeding/ejecting issues from the rotary magazine because of it. We had this long line of kids, and were now down to just 1 rifle for them! #facepalm. So begrudgingly I hurried up and removed the scope (since they have to do it with iron sites) and put the 452 on the firing line so we could get thru all these boys in a more reasonable amount of time.
52963074_2753411644699179_812920486022348800_n.jpg
SIDE NOTE: The kid with the russian style fur hat in the pic below?, he's an unusually small child, in this pic he's already in like 7th or 8th grade. It's so weird... I think somebody must have convinced this kid that because he was small he wouldn't be able to handle shooting a rifle. That thought was a strong belief he had. I had to explain to him, during the drive up there, that there is a WIDE variety of cartridges from mild-to-wild and that he merely needed to find the right one for him. Was soo bizarre though to see this sort of "defeated" attitude in him about it. Couldn't help but think some unethical adult maybe used his size as a convenient excuse to tell him why they couldn't get him a rifle, I'm just guessing.
IMG954756.jpg

If I end up getting another .17 HMR so me and my son can hunt together and both have one, I'll likely get another CZ because of how impressed I am with that 452 American Scout build quality.

About the only thing I don't particularly care for is their safety type. It takes what I feel is an annoying amount of effort in order to click it off silently. I'm hoping that's something where with more use the surfaces smooth out and hopefully get more quiet over time?

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
View attachment 365095
View attachment 365096

The 457 that I put together for my son a few years ago.
Started as a Varmint wood stock
Put it in an XLR Element 3.0 Chassis
Area 419 30 MOA Rail
Scope was a Vortex but has been changed to an Athlon Cronus
YoDave Trigger Spring

It shot so great, that I got a T1x and built it's twin. But the CZ was nicer in every way. So the T1x got sold.

Now I'm waiting to pick up a B14R in lefty to try.

Super cool. I was not aware MDT made a chassis for the CZs.

I picked up a cz 457 mtr 22lr early last spring and had a few things done to it. Shoots great, have been treating it more as a cheaper training rifle then anything.

Had Joe ducos modify the stock for me.

Baseball sized rock I found at the range 100 yards, was 2- 5 round mags or 2-10 round mags on it, I forget now.

50 or 55moa rail, trigger spring, pic rail for bi pod, adjustable cheek pc, bedded and now has a barrel tuner on it.

Attachments

• 20210529_170409.jpg
    20210529_170409.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 66
  • 20210510_203736.jpg
    20210510_203736.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210510_203744.jpg
    20210510_203744.jpg
    281.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210510_203814.jpg
    20210510_203814.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210321_151037.jpg
    20210321_151037.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20210403_144701.jpg
    20210403_144701.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210325_190809.jpg
    20210325_190809.jpg
    819.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I picked up a cz 457 22lr match early last spring and had a few things done to it. Shoots great, have been treating it more as a cheaper training rifle then anything.

Had Joe ducos modify the stock for me.

Baseball sized rock I found at the range 100 yards, was 2- 5 round mags or 2-10 round mags on it, I forget now.

Man, that looks sharp! the modified stock is super tidy looking. Is that a Graco butt plate?

Maybe you can help me. I'm a little unclear on exactly what the match chamber does. It's a slight tighter dimension than a standard .22lr chamber, correct? Does that affect what kind of ammo you can run? Match ammo only?