The switch to a Hilleberg Akto

I am trying ton convince myself to move to the Hilleberg Akto from my Fly Creek 2 and REI Gimme Shelter (similar to Moutain Shelter LT) but I have always used 2 person tents because I like to have my gear in the tent with me. Some pictures I have found make it look like there is extra room in the tent and some look like one person fills the tent. I am 6'3" 180 for reference. Any one with this tent care to chime in?

bcimport

WKR
Ran an Akto for 4 years, bombproof and much bigger than most one person shelters. Without the inner tent hung I would say it is the size of most 2 person tents.

PJG

WKR
I've used one for 6-7 years, it can be pretty small at times, especially if you have some gear in it with you. You will have little headroom when laying down. But, it really is a great shelter. It's all a trade off, just depends if the trade offs are ones you like or not.

You'd probably find it too small for you and your gear. I'm 5'9 and typically keep my pack outside in a 3 mil contractor bag and save the vestibule for boots and stove/coffee. Great little tent but it is little.

I couldn't imagine not having my Akto, I've used it for years. I do have the foot print on mine which covers the vestibule as well which is really nice for keeping your pack and gear dry while outside the actual sleeping area. My dog will also sleep in the vestibule when I leave the door open into the tent and zip up the rain fly. I'm 6 foot and about 220# and there's plenty of room for me. A buddy of mine is 6'7" and he fits but there's no extra room

jeffpg

WKR
I love mine but it's not a large tent. There is room enough for my gear in the tent with me and in the vestibule though.
The footprint in a must for me.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Thanks for the input so far guys. Switching from a 2 to 1 will probably be a little bit of an adjustment. I haven't been in any bad weather with my Fly Creek and I don't have a ton of confidence in it beyond keeping a little rain off of me at the moment. I don't need a tent to live in just something to sleep and hide out from storms somewhat comfortably in.

I'm 6'3" 160. It's too small for all my gear inside the tent IMO. I really love it though. Have had it in some terrible winds in the last year I've used it and it hasn't even lost a stake! 60-90 mph winds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
Do you need the four season features of the Akto? I purchased the Enan this winter myself after going back and forth on it or the Akto. Realizing I didn't need "true" four season protection the Enan was an easy choice, and the fact that it came in lighter than advertised was nice too. 2lbs 7ozs with the Kerlon 1000 fabric. I've set it up a couple of times with pad and quilt so far this spring and I believe it is so well built and thought out, that it immediately feels as perfect as a one man shelter can. Am I gonna get my EMR2 in the vestibule with me? No way, but as was pointed out previous I, I want that area for my boots and coffee making. Pack stays outside with the rain cover on but close enough that I can reach it from the vestibule. I look forward to getting out and putting it through the paces soon.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I looked at one but decided on a Soulo instead. Heavier, yes, but freestanding and takes up a smaller footprint. It came down to it and the Unna for me. Now, the lightening up process begins!

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
I don't need it as a 4 season tent per say but it has the ability to change out the inner liner with mesh or run it with just a footprint which to me makes it perfect for me as a one fit all. Ive had some really bad nights in other 3 seasons tents during second season with cold/weather and really don't want to go through that again. If I can fit a little gear in the tent with me and my pack and bow in the vestibule then I would be happy with that. If you guys can't fit that in your tent footprint then it would be useless to me.

deadwolf

WKR
If I can fit a little gear in the tent with me and my pack and bow in the vestibule then I would be happy with that. If you guys can't fit that in your tent footprint then it would be useless to me.

It depends entirely on your pack. For me it would be a fully loaded EMR2 on a 10-12 day sheep hunt or similar. I'm not getting that in the Akto or Enan vestibule without crawling over it to get out. If you have a daypack up to 3 day and your bow, you'll fit that in the vestibule just fine.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
7 days with the DT1 will be about as long as I go. If I can fit it in the vestibule even if its snug thats fine but if I have to store it outside that defeats the purpose of the shelter. I guess the biggest question is can I bring myself to buy the red one in the classifieds.

deadwolf

WKR
I'd say it might be worth it to get it, set it up and try it out, relist it if it won't work for you. They are great tents.

three5x5s

WKR
I like my Akto, Im 5'4 so I wont be much help on how big it is, as for your pack and gear, your pack should be a lot smaller after you set up the tent, bag and pads, all your food should be in a tree away from your tent. I placed stuff on top of my pack in the vestibule and keep my weapon in the tent with me.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
After himmin' and hawin' I scored a deal on a Unna. I figured it would be a decent transition from 2 to a "1" person. It comes with a footprint so I can use it without the inner for early season scouting trips etc. I am exited.

jeffpg

WKR
I use a hilleberg niak ,bigger than the akto ,geodesic design, goes up in minutes and you can actually sit up in it ,very spacious for one and ok for two also same weight as a akto
http://gb.hilleberg.com/EN/tents/yellow-label-tents/niak/

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I love my Akto, but the Niak does appear to be a very good choice when 4 season protection isn't needed, which for me is most of the time. I will be looking for a good deal on a Niak or sure.

sneaky

"DADDY"
After himmin' and hawin' I scored a deal on a Unna. I figured it would be a decent transition from 2 to a "1" person. It comes with a footprint so I can use it without the inner for early season scouting trips etc. I am exited.

I think you'll be fine with the unna. I almost got that one instead of the soulo. What color did you go with? I got mine in the sand color, blends in really well. Can't really go wrong with any hilleberg tent.

OP
ColoradoBackpackHunter
Found one in green. I do really like the look for the sand colored tents but I wouldn't think twice about green either. The more I am learning about the tents the more I am exited to get into one. Running it floor-less up to the 4 season inner seems like it might fit my unreasonable search for a do-it-all solo tent.