The states ranked on gun ownership- Ammo.com

Beendare

WKR
Hat tip to AMMO.COM

…..for their in depth article on ranking Worst to Best states to own a firearm. The results might surprise a few. They go into the many factors; Castle Doctrine, carry laws, etc.

Scanning it, I think they did a darn good job of creating a comprehensive database.

What do you think and how does your state rate?

I’m shocked Ca wasn’t rated the worst…..

Interesting. I lived in CA for a while and NYC area for a while longer. NY was terrible and getting worse. It’s interesting how many people from those states asked me about buying guns between 2016 (trump election - a couple worried about the political climate) and 2022 (riots and Covid - a dozen worried about everything).

NYC used to publish the list of concealed carry permit holders. Not surprisingly it was a lot of LEO, politicians and very rich/influential people.

Btaylor

WKR
Figured we would rank pretty well as we are pretty gun friendly around here but the #3 ranking was a surprise.

Politicians don't care about gun rights regardless of what side of the aisle they're on. Otherwise they wouldhavepassed protective legislation a long time ago.. gun rights is just an election topic to get them in power

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
From the article regarding PA:

"You can’t legally purchase a firearm from an individual without getting an FFL dealer involved,.."

That's news to a lot of folks. Unless it's a pistol which requires transfer, long guns can be sold between individuals with no FFL dealer involvement.

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Article is crap.

Idaho is (Constitutional) open or concealed carry for any resident or non-resident over 18 legal to own.

Should be in at least the top 5 if not tied for #1 with a few states.

Wonder how many other states they botched.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Don`t really know how accurate the list is, but whatever, Colorado is trying its damndest to move up in the unfriendly ranks.

TSAMP

WKR
Also thought the article cherry picked topics and failed to fully highlight each states particulars related to gun ownership. Then again it came from a website called ammo, so lazy journalism comes to mind.

MattB

WKR
Article is crap.

Idaho is (Constitutional) open or concealed carry for any resident or non-resident over 18 legal to own.

Should be in at least the top 5 if not tied for #1 with a few states.

Wonder how many other states they botched.
You think Idaho should be #1 of the worst states for gun owners? If the topic was public school education or reading comprehension, then maybe…..

Drenalin

WKR
You think Idaho should be #1 of the worst states for gun owners? If the topic was public school education or reading comprehension, then maybe…..
The problem with acting like a know-it-all prick to strangers on the internet is that sometimes you’re the one who lacks comprehension. ID doesn’t appear on the “worst states” list at all, and was “only” #11 on the “best states” list.

MattB

WKR
The problem with acting like a know-it-all prick to strangers on the internet is that sometimes you’re the one who lacks comprehension. ID doesn’t appear on the “worst states” list at all, and was “only” #11 on the “best states” list.
The linked article is titled “Worst States to be a Gun Owner (2024 Updated)”.

Drenalin

WKR
The linked article is titled “Worst States to be a Gun Owner (2024 Updated)”.
You’re not unintelligent, so I’m assuming you’re being obtuse just to be an ass. I’ve made my point and you’ve reinforced it. Keep doing you.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
For anyone who missed it, At the top of the article there is a section that shows each states abbreviation. Click on your state and it switches from most unfriendly, to most friendly based on where they are ranked according to the article.

There doesn't seem to be a gulf of difference between New Hampshire #1 and Kansas #24. The only differences I can ascertain are:

1) NH doesn't tax gun purchases (they don't tax any sales)
2) They're governor is Pro-2A. Kansas' isn't, but she's hamstrung by the state legislature anyway.

I guess I conclude things are a lot better for gun owners now than they were when I was growing up.