The Shoot2hunt Podcast

khuber84

WKR
What bolt face do I need (tikka) and mag for a 6arc? Anyone know off the top of their heads?
Ppc, not offered. Have to modify a 223 by opening on a mill, or bushing a 473 bolt. 223 would be the more desirable method in my opinion. Company out of Canada that does 223 ppc 473 535 Tikka bolts, but I don't know on importing.

What bolt face do I need (tikka) and mag for a 6arc? Anyone know off the top of their heads?
The bolt face issue alone would make me continue with 6CM in a Tikka. The 6ARC sounds great but having to rebarrel AND get bolt work done to get LESS performance seems a little wonky.

But, if you have a 223 bolt, open it up!

khuber84

WKR

$350, idk if CAD or USD. But be pretty simple to strip the guts out your existing bolt and install onto this unit. I'd acquire this prior to barrel fitment to avoid any headspace issues.

What we need is a Tikka bolt with changeable bolt face .
Come on UM let's get this going

Sounds cool in theory but seems like something that will cost near as much as a whole tikka action so I have a hard time seeing the practicality. With rebates a guy should be able to get full tikka rifles for less than $700, maybe less than $600 in some cases.

atmat

WKR
Sounds cool in theory but seems like something that will cost near as much as a whole tikka action so I have a hard time seeing the practicality. With rebates a guy should be able to get full tikka rifles for less than $700, maybe less than $600 in some cases.
Totally agree. Tikkas are so cheap it’s just easier to dedicate new ones and not be interchangeable.

The Guide

WKR
Would the 22 ARC clean up a 223 chamber? You could buy a 223, get the bolt cut for the new boltface, ream the barrel, and shoot the gun with either cartridge. If not, I'm sure it could become a 22 CM barrel for another action. Lots of options.

Jay

Would the 22 ARC clean up a 223 chamber? You could buy a 223, get the bolt cut for the new boltface, ream the barrel, and shoot the gun with either cartridge. If not, I'm sure it could become a 22 CM barrel for another action. Lots of options.

Jay

No, a 223 case shoulder is substantially forward of where the ARC shoulder is. Barrel would need sufficient shank for a setback.

You can get a 223 bolt opened up, or get a 308 etc bolt bushed. Standard 308 mags work.
Excellent, thanks

The rifle is currently chambered in 308, so it sounds like a pretty clean project. This is one of the states that 6mm is the smallest legal caliber for elk, and you made the 6arc sound like the most logical choice, planned on a 6creed, but I think for the niche this rifle will fill, the better trade off is recoil since nobody will be shooting over 400yds, and mostly half that or less.