The Shoot2hunt Podcast

I am literally in the EXACT same boat. I hunted waterfowl all over, relentlessly, for 10 straight years. I would say to my big game buddies "I can kill 7 ducks a day, every day. Why I would I care to go shoot ONE deer."

And then I caved and finally went elk hunting with some buddies. Killed a cow elk with my bow, and then a real nice buck, solo, after 17 days of hunting, during the first year. Then I killed my first "target" buck the next year.

I haven't really cared about waterfowl since then. That was 5 years ago. But I had a fully self trained duck dog that I JUST finished training, so I kept hunting waterfowl pretty heavily, just for her to be able to keep doing was she loved. She randomly got sick and died a few months ago. It was devastating, and now I don't care if I ever even shoot another duck or goose lol. RIP Ellie
View attachment 740590

Scouting for, hunting, and killing big game just brings a different feeling. I feel like it's just more rewarding. Where as shooting ducks and geese was "fun", and having a good working dog was the rewarding part.

I go back and forth. I hunted ducks almost exclusively for almost 15 years and switched to big game the last 8-10. But after getting another dog last year, I’m back into waterfowl. I had forgotten how much I loved duck hunting and getting her out to work is the best part. Not sure I would be doing it without her.

I’ve set up my big game hunts this year to be pretty much wrapped up before opening day of duck season.
94c7464a98c66c152b662114b156b503.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntnful

WKR
I go back and forth. I hunted ducks almost exclusively for almost 15 years and switched to big game the last 8-10. But after getting another dog last year, I’m back into waterfowl. I had forgotten how much I loved duck hunting and getting her out to work is the best part. Not sure I would be doing it without her.

I’ve set up my big game hunts this year to be pretty much wrapped up before opening day of duck season.
94c7464a98c66c152b662114b156b503.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awesome man! The hunting dog absolutely makes the hunt. It’s a joy when they’re well trained and you get to watch them in action.

Not sure I would be doing it without her.
After I had to retire my Golden Retriever due to arhritis and old age, the next few seasons without him were just uninspired and meh. My Grif turned 3 in June, and he makes me look forward to the fall like Calvin did back in the day. Bird hunting without a dog after having trained one and spent 8 or 9 years in the field together is just not the same.

Gstew1930

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Elk are just participation trophies that are easy to kill, hard to carry out and good for eating. Coues are just for making people feel good about shooting a 100" buck. And mule deer are superior in every way. Basically :sneaky:
Outstanding response 😂

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I’ve hunted dove and ducks/geese in Argentina and Canada several times. Killed more birds in a week than most people do all year. My dad, brother and I shot 150 ducks in 1 hour lol. Yes it’s fun. But it isn’t rewarding like a tough big game hunt that ends in success. I’m just more drawn to the challenging part of hunting more
than the fun part of hunting lately.

I just got back sunday. 40ish duck recovered a day a person average over 3 morning hunts.
Shot dove 2 afternoons until we got tired of shooting.
Shot our limit of perdiz (9) 2 days behind dogs. They dont let you hammer the perdiz they have actual limits.

I went once for 3 days of shooting. It was great, but I told myself I would never do it again. I went 2 years later - for 5 days.

Just go every 2 years like we do. Look into a 5 feathers hunt.

Drenalin

WKR.
Why isn’t this pack they “May or may not be building” with an E, an S, or a K not getting more attention? I’m hoping for a K4 with even slightly modified bag(s).

Why isn’t this pack they “May or may not be building” with an E, an S, or a K not getting more attention? I’m hoping for a K4 with even slightly modified bag(s).
I’m betting on “E” because Idaho.

In terms of attention, I just don’t know that it will bring anything truly revolutionary or “Rokslide targeted” to the market. Don’t see it as a 77gr TMK, Rokstock, or RS1.2 type of product. And it’s only barely been mentioned.

Looking forward to more details for sure though. Think they’ll do a pre-sale?? Haha

Harvey_NW

WKR

In terms of attention, I just don’t know that it will bring anything truly revolutionary or “Rokslide targeted” to the market. Don’t see it as a 77gr TMK, Rokstock, or RS1.2 type of product. And it’s only barely been mentioned.

Looking forward to more details for sure though. Think they’ll do a pre-sale?? Haha
I think they learned a lesson on the first Rok product with early marketing and pre-sale, lol. I'm interested to see how it plays out, it may not be revolutionary but they seem to be pretty successful with finding ways to make things more functionally appealing. Which sucks because it damn near gets me every time.. :LOL:

Drenalin

WKR.

If is is "E" and they just ditch the zippered side pockets, I'll be a happy man.