The Shoot2hunt Podcast

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
Form is very literal. So he's not wrong, he didn't technically advocate for other people to buy a .22mag and carry it for self-defense against bears.

But, there is a responsibility that comes with broadcasting that information to the public, knowing (whether you like it or not) that there are a number of guys who are hanging on your every word (still not his fault), wearing their fishnets and barefoot shoes running out to buy the exact 22mag that he said he uses.

Gorp2007

WKR
For everyone getting their non-fishnet underpants in a bunch over the 22 Mag recommendations/statements/discussion/whatever, do you honestly believe that the average hunter has a better chance of a CNS hit on a grizzly with a heavy 44 Mag or even a 10mm? In under 2 seconds from a holster? My family is full of adult males who all shoot more than the average public range hunter and they would all describe themselves as good shots. I doubt any of them make a first round hit on an 8” target in that situation with a 44 mag, so they’d all be better off with a 22 Mag.

Last edited:
Meh. I think we may need some MHG input here. Needs to be a bit “catchier”. @Billy Goat
We call them Formers, not formies.

I definitely don't have all the answers, I use to worry about bears, then after a lot of collars, carrying scales, pulling cubs from dens, it's kinda like they are that unknown/scary evil. My Ursus experience is limited, mostly to the east coast.

I don't know what the grizzly death ray is, not enough experience. But I'd bet it goes off of point of impact. Taken the last breath from a lot of stuff, haven't found it to matter much what caliber/cartridge, it's placement.

Lawnboi

WKR
For everyone getting their non-fishnet underpants in a bunch over the 22 Mag recommendations/statements/discussion/whatever, do you honestly believe that the average hunter has a better chance of a CNS hit on a grizzly with a heavy 44 Mag or even a 10mm? In under 2 seconds from a holster? My family is full of adult males who all shoot more than the average public range hunter and they would all describe themselves as good shots. I doubt any of them make a first round hit on an 8” target in that situation with a 44 mag, so they’d all be better off with a 22 Mag.
Totally agree.

So I traded a 10mm for a 22 mag. Mainly cause I needed a home defense gun my wife can easily operate. And because I didn’t shoot my Glock 29 for shit. The first shot went well, but beyond that it’s a crap shoot. I can shoot large revolvers for crap either and don’t own one because of that. I’m probably beyond your average shooter as I do plenty of pistol drills but don’t compete (yet).

Put me in the category of a formie that went out and bought a 22 mag and is happy because I can shoot the shit out of this thing. It’s stupid easy. It’s stupid easy to shoot it fast too.

If I had an option to carry my 29 or my 22mag right now,(assuming the 22 mag shows to be reliable) I’m taking the 22 mag.

I shoot a couple thousand pistol rounds a year and acknowledge that there’s no way I’m competent shooting a large caliber handgun well enough to use it under pressure.

I’ll still carry my 43 or 43x, and do daily. But even the podcast discussion opened my eyes a little to what I’m choosing to carry in my pistol. I hadn’t considered how these bullets are tested and what I want out of them in a defense scenario.

Fwiw this m&p 22 mag is the most fun Iv had with a pistol in a long time.

IDVortex

WKR
Thing I got the most out of it, a smaller caliber a guy can get more rounds on target during a highstressed event vs a larger caliber. But, with that being said. You still need to train.

4th_point

WKR
I think we should call them formies. Form flakes is a little hard he puts out alot of good info it is funny how some try so hard to be mini forms on here.

Awhile back someone called them "Rokbois". Cracked me up.

I don't have a problem with formi's info. A lot of times it jives with what I have experienced and the regurgitating of information by others is to be expected. The problem is when they post information as authoritative, or as if it were their own. The original message can be misrepresented or distorted.

All good for business though!

Regarding the 22 Win Mag, I can see how some would take that podcast as a recommendation. And there was a handful that seemed to run with it. Lawnboi, nothing against you, or anyone else.

My take is that the 22 Mag was used as an extreme example. And specifically as a true counterpoint/counterargument to the 10mm, regarding the tradeoffs of recoil and penetration. Just an approach for debate, not a recommendation per se. At least that is what I heard in the first few minutes of the podcast.

I feel like discussions of bear defense weapons are the closest thing the hunting community gets to writing fanfiction about ourselves.

"The bear charges from a distance of 10 feet. I draw and swing my katana in one fluid strike. The bear slides to a stop at my feet, dead."

wwyb-based-off-the-stereotypical-black-wearing-katana-v0-rziiec2ijaz81.jpg

Dobermann

WKR
Those people that are taking his word as gospel are called “FormFlakes”
Pretty soon we’re gonna have a bunch of guys running around in the woods with a 22 magnum pistols and hunting rifles with scopes that are mrad only, wearing freaking skinny jeans and flip-flops for hunting boots.
Everything else I kinda agree with him.
Assuming your post wasn't purely an attempt at hyperbolic satire: You might want to read his posts more clearly ... almost everything you list is either not wholly accurate or patently silly.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@Formidilosus

Sorry bro now everyone will know what your user name means.

Some of yall need to learn how to work google. Formidilousus is latin. Click on the speaker button to hear it pronounced.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
@Ryan Avery and @Unknown Munitions

Yall be careful with milk. It has quite a bit of carbs. You drink too much you will toss yourself out of ketosis.

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
@Formidilosus

Sorry bro now everyone will know what your user name means.

Some of yall need to learn how to work google. Formidilousus is latin. Click on the speaker button to hear it pronounced.

Google???? I’m the OG fudd