The Shoot2hunt Podcast

Loper

WKR
1. The only things I eat besides meat are peanuts and pistachios, but only ones that come in the shells that haven't been tainted with some random refined oil. It's on purpose, and only to break up the monotony of the diet every now and then. Meat, eggs, and some dairy gets old after a while and I crave something else. I didn't add the nuts into my diet until recently.

2. Regular meals - bacon cheddar burgers with no bun, toppings, or condiments. Deer and black bear with butter, salt, and maybe a tiny bit of pepper. Bacon and eggs. Ribeyes and strip steaks. Bacon wrapped pork tenderloins. Add way more butter/fat than you think you should. Save the bacon/beef grease and cook with it. If you drink coffee, put at least 1 tablespoon of butter in it and use a hand held frother to really mix it in well - tastes waaayyyyyy better than it sounds.

3. I don't eat at restaurants, so can't answer that one.

4. The biggest benefit for me has been gut health. Predictable/regular toilet times - one good dump in the morning and that's it. No random "oh shit, I gotta shit" moments. Significant decrease in bloating/gas. Those things were way out of whack even when I was eating a very clean, all organic, balanced diet. I personally have to supplement with a little bit of fiber to avoid constipation. If you try this diet you might experience a weird mix of constipation and diarrhea at first. Apparently it's common and is supposed to go away as your body adjusts, but it didn't for me so I use psyllium husk - main ingredient in metamucil without all the weird stuff they add to it. I also take probiotics and supplemental digestive enzymes.
I'm 34 and had dealt with acne up until I started this diet. Acne is basically gone now, and overall redness in my face has been reduced.
Energy levels seem slightly increased.

Thank you. I listened to the podcast this morning at the gym. This is really the most research I’ve done on this. I found it interesting that so much fat is needed. I wouldn’t have guessed that.

I’ll probably do some more research, but more than likely will start this in the next 30 days.

CorbLand

WKR
Haaang on ... you mean another woman who has the same name is in a Garth song, or your wife is in a Garth song?

Not that we know either of you ... but inquiring minds want to know.
Another woman with the same name but she pretends it’s her.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Carnivore diet isn't too far off from my regular diet of choice, so I figure the podcast was a good time to start and try to shed a few lbs before shed hunting ramps up. Thanks for the motivation!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
For those trying carnivore-

You really must have very high fat meals- as in a lot. If you skimp on fat you will crash.

You also need salt, probably more than you think. If you get cramps, muscle spasms or tightness, lightheaded, etc., you need more salt.

For folks who have been on carnivore for a while and lift/run - how do you find you’ve adapted to the diet? Obviously it takes some time to get the metabolic machinery to be able to perform at the same level as with carbs, especially with anaerobic activity or heavy lifting. That said, do you find performance has eventually reached about the same level as carbs? Or do you have a hard time finding that extra bit of oomph that would otherwise be readily accessible with carbs?

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
If someone is able/willing I would be interested in someone who is doing this tracking the cost difference between carnivore and regular diet.

I can’t say I would do it, I genuinely like vegetables, but I have always been curious to the “affordability” of it.

fwafwow

WKR
For those trying carnivore-

You really must have very high fat meals- as in a lot. If you skimp on fat you will crash.

You also need salt, probably more than you think. If you get cramps, muscle spasms or tightness, lightheaded, etc., you need more salt.
Good point. When I did it I had to keep a spreadsheet to make sure I kept up with fat and some other stuff, including salt and potassium and some other minerals. It’s been a while, so I’ve lost track of what I used to monitor, but I can try to dig it up if anyone is interested. I didn’t monitor costs though.

My PCP was skeptical at first, and we eventually mutually agreed upon “everything in moderation”. I caved to his recommendation of adding in at least some grains and veggies, and I found it helped me overall, with how I felt and weight loss.

mddat

FNG
For folks who have been on carnivore for a while and lift/run - how do you find you’ve adapted to the diet? Obviously it takes some time to get the metabolic machinery to be able to perform at the same level as with carbs, especially with anaerobic activity or heavy lifting. That said, do you find performance has eventually reached about the same level as carbs? Or do you have a hard time finding that extra bit of oomph that would otherwise be readily accessible with carbs?
I tried carnivore for 4 months, could never get use to the lack of energy, definitely couldn’t lift as much as when I was eating carbs. Everyone is different thou and might be fine. Form is right about needing lots of Fat and salt, definitely had some episodes with bad cramping. Lots of sodium and drinking alot of water is required

Jon Boy

WKR
Is there any way to substitute enough butter and suet with game to get the fat you need? I couldn’t stand buying that much beef.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Duh

Duh

WKR
Is there any way to substitute enough butter and suet with game to get the fat you need? I couldn’t stand buying that much beef.

I’m doing that right now. Adding whole eggs, bacon, sticks of butter, and heavy cheese to all my deer and elk. I don’t usually add fat to my meat when I cut it up but I’m going to get some pork fat and Talow to add to my ground elk and deer.

Jon Boy

WKR
I’m doing that right now. Adding whole eggs, bacon, sticks of butter, and heavy cheese to all my deer and elk. I don’t usually add fat to my meat when I cut it up but I’m going to get some pork fat and Talow to add to my ground elk and deer.

Let me know how that goes. I could make my burger with 40% suet and I’d imagine that would have just as much fat as a ribeye. No way in hell I’m buying 14 ribeyes a week

Reactions: Duh

rharbaugh

WKR
Thanks for the heads up I will have to try that.
Any of the flavors not good? I was looking at the vanilla and mint choco chip.
I just tried rebel ice cream for the first time last week. the flavor was on point, but the texture is something entirely different. I disliked the texture so much I tossed the pint after a few bites. YMMV