The Shoot2hunt Podcast

ElPollo

WKR
Really enjoyed the bullet ballistics podcast. It puts a ton information that is sprinkled throughout Rokslide into a single, easily accessible and digestible place. I’ve sent it to some of my “controlled expansion magnum” friends and am looking forward to the discussion afterwards. I really appreciate the point about why choke down a big kicking gun with a bullet that does less damage. Thanks to Form, Ryan and the UM gang for doing this podcast.

gabenzeke

WKR
I bought a long action magnum to start a build. All these threads and this podcast is starting to make me feel like I messed up. I could never bring myself to go with a 224 caliber...so is the 6 um sort of the consensus for an elk rifle for 800 and in? Should I trade for a short action magnum action?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Reactions: NSI

fwafwow

WKR
I’m halfway through it and also thinking about with whom to share the podcast. But one hurdle is the group that says “I don’t need no stinkin’ [drop test][boolets talk] and I don’t listen to no podcast thingy” Fudd crowd. Some folks can’t even be lead to the water.

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
Great podcast. You guys are really bringing up some interesting topics. I’m trying to sort through all of this and hoping for an opinion.

My parameters are:
- I live in CA and will follow the non lead rules while hunting in state for deer, pig, bear. Out of state hunts I’ll hunt with whatever bullet is best for deer and elk.
- I do not reload, but buy ammo from unknown munitions for hunting and whatever is cheapest off the shelf for practice.
- max 400 yards distance, leaving out to 600 for follow up.
- often hunt solo and want to spot shots
- 7-8lb rifle, or not much more than that

Currently running a braked .30-06 tikka with a drop test approved scope shooting 175 LRX loaded by UM.

Goal based on new information. Shoot as light of recoil as possible to spot shots while still fulfilling the above parameters. Big enough caliber to keep monos effective but as small as possible with little recoil as possible.

I’m leaning toward a 6.5 Creedmoor. Pretty low recoil, lots of off the shelf practice ammo, 140 ELDM and 127 LRX purchased from UM for hunting at given distance. The LRX avg 2000 fps at 500yds out of a Creedmoor.

Thanks for any thoughts

Last edited:

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
One follow up question

With a braked or suppressed rifle, what is the largest caliber an average shooter can spot impacts at hunting distances with generally appropriate body position.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Great podcast. You guys are really bringing up some interesting topics. I’m trying to sort through all of this and hoping for an opinion.

My parameters are:
- I live in CA and will follow the non lead rules while hunting in state. Out of state hunts I’ll hunt with whatever bullet is best for deer and elk.
- I do not reload, but buy ammo from unknown munitions for hunting and whatever is cheapest off the shelf for practice.
- max 400 yards distance, leaving out to 600 for follow up.
- often hunt solo and want to spot shots
- 7-8lb rifle, or not much more than that

Currently running a braked .30-06 tikka with a drop test approved scope shooting 175 LRX loaded by UM.

Goal based on new information. Shoot as light of recoil as possible to spot shots while still fulfilling the above parameters. Big enough caliber to keep monos effective but as small as possible with little recoil as possible.

I’m leaning toward a 6.5 Creedmoor. Pretty low recoil, lots of off the shelf practice ammo, 140 ELDM and 127 LRX purchased from UM for hunting at given distance. The LRX avg 2000 fps at 500yds out of a Creedmoor.

Thanks for any thoughts

For that scenario I would choose 6.5 cm with 135gr DRT projectiles.

One follow up question

With a braked or suppressed rifle, what is the largest caliber an average shooter can spot impacts at hunting distances with generally appropriate body position.

It’s about 10-12ft lbs of recoil max. With a brake or suppressor and a 7-8lb rifle, probably about 6.5cm level. Good shooters 6.5 PRC level.

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
These dang podcasts have me thinking I should just sell my 300 WM and put it towards a better scope for my 6.5 CM. Or a suppressor after the last few minutes of this bullet episode. I have heard the same from the EXO Mtn gear guys that they are amazed the difference in elk reactions after shooting suppressed.

letrbuck

WKR
I've been looking around for the "right" 9.3x62 for a couple years and found 'the one' just before listening to the latest podcast. @Formidilosus, you might have effectively quenched my medium bore thirst and replaced it with a 1:8 twist 243 Tikka...

Is there a marked difference between the 103 eldx and 108 eldm?

Last edited:
Couple really good podcasts lately but why is forms voice changed? Is he a secret government employee? I can't be the only one that noticed his voice change a couple times very quickly

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Dobermann

WKR
Couple really good podcasts lately but why is forms voice changed? Is he a secret government employee? I can't be the only one that noticed his voice change a couple times very quickly

Let it go, people, it doesn't matter.

Focus on the content.

Let it go, people, it doesn't matter.

Focus on the content.
It doesn't matter to YOU. It's a pretty simple question.
He seems to be a wealth of knowledge. I'm sure more than just I alone would like to know more about him and how he is/was able to shoot so many rounds per year and how he got into killing/culling animals.

YOU can focus on the content.