The perfect Coffee making solution for Backpacking

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I sent them a few questions. Think about this. If you can get more then 10 to 12 hot water sessions out of this thing it could be used as a backpack stove and coffee maker. Heat your water for your meal and make coffee. I want to also know the weight. If it comes in lighter then some of the stove systems we use this thing could really take off.

It's a cool idea but not for backpacking in my opinion.

I'd much much rather have a jetboil with the press kit, or jetboil and starbucks via packets. My choice is multi-functional, has field repair capabilities, is intended for the purpose, and runs on fairly predictable amounts of fuel thereby allowing me to know for certain that I have enough fuel for a given trip with me.

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
completely agree RB. But this could show some promise if testing dictates certain amount of required predictability. hmm definitely something to watch. I am getting one either way. even if not meant for the field having the ability to make coffee anywhere is pretty slick.

Willow

FNG
Pretty cool but I see the same 2 problems that I have with the Keurig machines. They don't put enough coffee in their pre-packaged inserts and they cost 10x what a home brewed cup of coffee costs. I'm with RockBridge. I still prefer my Jetboil. Plus, I can make any herbal tea I want out in the bush. So if I need pain relief or something for an infection, I can brew it in my Jetboil.

Ironman8

WKR
This has Hipster written all over it. They can have their man purses, skinny jeans and now this. I'll stick to my strong black coffee brewed right at home. ;)

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
This is one of the best portable coffee makers ever and they are light wieght. Just heat your water and press basically.
The AeroPress

See this is why I love this website. B42 that is some cool stuff right there. I am going to have to snag that thing.

My climbing, hunting, shooting buddy has been making coffee in an AeroPress for a couple years. People rave about how good his coffee is, even with cheap Folgers grinds. I don't possess a sophisticated enough palate to know the difference.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If I have to clean anything or deal with coffee grinds, then it's a bigger pain than it needs to be. Boiling water and an Italian Via packet is about as easy as it gets.

black42

FNG
My climbing, hunting, shooting buddy has been making coffee in an AeroPress for a couple years. People rave about how good his coffee is, even with cheap Folgers grinds. I don't possess a sophisticated enough palate to know the difference.

I can tell the difference either. I have some coffee snobs at work that just rave about the brew from it. I just like it because its faster than a drip coffee pot and portable. Just give me some hot water and grounds, and I'm set.

Beendare

WKR
Mostly i use the Via paks when I'm hunting...

but those little mini presses are the best when just backpacking and you have extra room or can swing the weight. Or if we are horsepacked in, those bigger thermos style presses REI sells are the best

I don't see it replacing my Jetboil system. Via works for me and I can use the JB skillet for fresh fish and other things.