The One Gun Hunter

rootacres

WKR
Not that I only own one gun. In the midwest we have restrictions on the firearms we can hunt with.

All my western hunting has been done with a 7 SAUM. . 168 VLDs at ~2850fps. I did just win a 300 PRC so I will probably do some hunting with that rifle at some point.

wesfromky

WKR
“You should not have any special fondness for a particular weapon, or anything else, for that matter. Too much is the same as not enough. Without imitating anyone else, you should have as much weaponry as suits you.”
― Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Not that I only own one gun. In the midwest we have restrictions on the firearms we can hunt with.

All my western hunting has been done with a 7 SAUM. . 168 VLDs at ~2850fps. I did just win a 300 PRC so I will probably do some hunting with that rifle at some point.
What sort of restrictions are there on hunting firearms?

In the southern zone of Michigan we are restricted to 35 caliber or larger but must be straight walled cartridges. Max overall case length is 1.8".

450 bushmaster, 350 Legend are common nowadays.

I have a Tikka 270wsm and 300wsm. If I ever draw a tag I hope to put one of them to work out west.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I only gun hunt mule deer, elk and bears so my Montana in 308 works across the board. Federal trophy copper 150 because it puts them very close together without fail. Wasn’t my first choice for bullet but the gun made the decision clear.

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
Nope what fun would that be????? I don’t golf with one club either!!!

rootacres

WKR
Many of the midwest states have cartridge restrictions during gun season. For example in MI where I hunt we are located below the "rifle line" so for years we were in what we called the "shotgun zone". So we had to use slug guns or muzzle loaders during gun season. Since then many states have modified the restrictions to allow for straight wall cartridges like the 450 bushmaster, 350 Legend etc. We can't legally use rifles like my 7 SAUM in many of the Midwest states. IA, IL, IN, OH among some others have rules that resemble this too.

bnsafe

WKR
yep, 1 rifle that happens to be a 308, I do have 2 shotguns but only had 1 my whole life til this last turkey season and am needing some magnification to see better otherwise would still be with 1 shotgun. as for loads yep 1 load, sorta. I use nosler ballistic tips trophy grade ammo but if I go for something bigger it will be the same load with a accubond. Same ballistics so kinda 1 load.

PlumberED

WKR
Classified Approved
Many of the midwest states have cartridge restrictions during gun season. For example in MI where I hunt we are located below the "rifle line" so for years we were in what we called the "shotgun zone". So we had to use slug guns or muzzle loaders during gun season. Since then many states have modified the restrictions to allow for straight wall cartridges like the 450 bushmaster, 350 Legend etc. We can't legally use rifles like my 7 SAUM in many of the Midwest states. IA, IL, IN, OH among some others have rules that resemble this too.
Ok. Maryland has similar regulations for some of the counties.

OP
TheCreeds

TheCreeds

FNG
I am a one rifle guy; its a tikka. I have the magnum, standard, and .223 bolts for it and have a few barrels to swap between. This method allows me to have one premium set up with high end furniture and still shoot whatever caliber that suits my fancy. This frees up more money to spend on hunts.
This has been my line of thinking as well. I think I will still run a separate .223 for practice, but I really want to run just one rifle that I can really build to my specs. Then I can put extra money towards tags.

hunterjmj

WKR
Shot a 30-06 my whole life then I bought a 300wm. It's been my go to for 6-7 years. My wife shoots a kimber in 6.5cm and bought my kids a Weatherby .243. I like them all and shoot them all. It's fun having and shooting several rifles but my go to is the 300wm and I shoot it well.

TaperPin

WKR
For 30 years my one gun was a pair of 7mags, but I primary hunted deer and antelope, and elk was secondary. The 7 mags might get replaced with a pair of 6.5 prc’s this year.

Dmbjr

FNG
How many of you guys are one gun hunters? I have been thinking about buying one gun to do all my hunting rather then having several for different species. If you use one gun to hunt with, what are you using?
REM 700 BCL 7 mm rem mag

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
7mm tikka is it, been a one gun hunter since the 80s🤙I like to keep it simple and it has worked for me.