The One Gun Hunter

TheCreeds

FNG
How many of you guys are one gun hunters? I have been thinking about buying one gun to do all my hunting rather then having several for different species. If you use one gun to hunt with, what are you using?

How many of you guys are one gun hunters? I have been thinking about buying one gun to do all my hunting rather then having several for different species. If you use one gun to hunt with, what are you using?
If you do run one rifle, are you using one bullet? Or do you base your bullets off the game you are after?

Ruger m77 mkii in 30-06. I found my best load after approximately 28 years of ownership--180 grain accubonds and a max charge of imr4350. I will use this round for anything from Antelope on up. If I was to get another gun, that's at least 1 out of state hunt I can't go on $ wise.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I can't keep it to one, but I do have it to two - one for brush or timber out to 150 yards (Marlin 45-70 guide gun), the other for all else (Ruger Hawkeye .338 WM). I wanted to cover anything in N. America.

I would say most of us older guys grew up with just one rifle and shot a favorite factory load at everything from crows to deer.
I picked up additional rifles as i came across deals.
to many different cartridges seems pointless now though.

Last edited:
I am now, or am trying to be. Not including shotgun or a 22 for birds/squirrels, but one rifle I guess.

It’s currently the chopped tikka in my profile pic, and the plan is to just grab some extra factory barrels as they show up if I need more velocity for a certain hunt or different cartridge. However I may rebuild it if the new rok stock takes the place of my eh1 that is admittedly quite heavy (but so is my can) so I’m worried about balance

I have gotten sick of having guns I don’t shoot and I want to be totally proficient and confident in my hunting rifle and give it a lot of range time

I am in this camp. I have had several 308's over the year but since getting the Sig Cross, I think I have found the one.

Could it be better? Yes. Do loads exist for everything on the NA continent? Yes. Can I easily swap barrel for different cartridge use? Yes.

It currently doesn't have the aftermarket support you see in Tikka but the versatility of this platform is second to none. I can collapse all the extensions and my 8 year old can shoot it out of a tripod. I can load light fast loads and heavy loads to include everything in between. My one pipe dream is a magnum bolt face in the future and then the options are limitless.

I've been building/re-building my rifle pretty much every year to find that sweet spot for a do-all rifle, and I think this year I am finally there. Blueprinted Savage 116 action with top bolt release conversion, 24" Carbon6 barrel chambered in 300WM, Ross Schuler 4 port brake, Stocky's VG2 Carbon fiber stock, Jard trigger set at 1.5lb, Accurate Mag AICS bottom metal, Badger Ordinance 20MOA rail, Vortex PMR rings, Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50 FFP, Atlas V8 bipod. Rig comes in right at 10.5lb without bipod and launches Berger 208gr LRHT's into a 1/2MOA group at 2950fps. Light enough for offhand shots and heavy enough for me to feel comfortable shooing to 600+.

7 mag tikka is the only gun I have hunted with for the last five years. Works great and has done the job on elk, deer, antelope, and bear.

Back