The most repeated thread topics *or* posts?

505Wapiti

WKR
Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Excited to be a part of of the Rokslide team.
My father, brother in law, and myself are planning our first big game hunt “Out West”.
Here’s some of the things I’m working on and need some help/guidance with:
I’m an adult onset elk hunter who grew up in a single mother family and the only time I was ever in the woods was in the 4th grade when I joined the Cub Scouts… so I need some help figuring out my “layering system”. Since we’re either hunting the desert SW in September, or late November elk in MT, or possibly mid fall in South Central ID, what is a “do it all” combo?
I’ve heard the ticks are nothing to joke about, so I’m planning on getting that stuff that they don’t like and soaking all of my gear in it. Question I have though, is I hear the smell of that permithian, or whatever it’s called, actually attracts grizzly bears. I already have pepper spray that I plan on packing, but should I carry a pistol too? If so, what carry system is your go to? I don’t think a chest harness will work for me because my bino harness is already currently 32lbs. I have everything from my Vortex, to my 750ml titanium cup, to my sunglasses, windometer, rangefinder, GPS, laptop with ballistic calculator program, cell phone, hearing protection, fire starter, a couple Jolly Ranchers and a knife that weighs .04oz mounted into the system. Any suggestions?
Next would be where to go. Not looking for anyone’s honey holes. I’ve been scouring the internet, watching all the meticulously groomed, metrosexual, 3rd generation, exclusive private land outfitter’s YouTube thing’s learning everything I can learn via the net. I also just received my Master’s degree from Go Hunt Dot Com in e-scouting (I actually have already spotted several outfitter wall tents, 32 elk, a nice mulie, 6 squirrels and a guy in blaze orange taking a shit). So… here’s my question. In unit 12, in MT, in the Steep Cr drainage. Would you suggest I hunt the north facing side of the drainage (that from my e-scouting appears to be more timbered), or would you hunt the south facing side? Again, not looking for honey holes, but my GPS runs on datum WGS84 and I prefer degrees/decimals/minutes. Appreciate anything you guys have on that.
Next… caliber. What should I shoot and do I really need a high end scope? Some things I’m looking for… fully custom build, weight under 4lbs that is perfectly balanced and a tack driver all day long, suppressed, hits like the hand of god, extremely limited to zero recoil and under $500. Should I reload? If so… how?
Fitness. I played JV football in high and was actually a pretty big F-cking deal and in extremely good shape. Since then. I let things slide a bit. I’m currently 5’8” and around 264. What do I need to do to be able to go deep, backcountry, OTC, DIY? I’m looking to get way back, where nobody goes. I paid several grand to a bunch of Texans to put me through an elk boot camp. Yeah. You read that right. Texans teaching others out of staters how to hunt elk. Will this boot camp be enough to get me in shape, or should I also supplement with a shake weight and thigh master?
Okay last. Now that I’m gonna be quite a ways into the backcountry, what do I do when I kill one? It could be triple digits or below zero. Do you bone, quarter, hire a packer, get one of those motorized wheelbarrow things that the guy from the Sawtooth used, e-bike, or just sit down and eat it on site?
Thanks for all the help.
Hey, 1 more thing. I’m trying to post something in the Classifieds and can’t. Sup with that?
Best post I’ve read since I joined.

sndmn11

WKR
Why's SWFA backordered?

What scope that isn't recommended can you recommend?

#celebrihuntergossip

Check out my grizzly Glock mods (but everyone needs a 30-378 to shoot at elk)

Hey guys! Long time lurker, first time poster. Excited to be a part of of the Rokslide team.
My father, brother in law, and myself are planning our first big game hunt “Out West”.
I’m an adult onset elk hunter who grew up in a single mother family and the only time I was ever in the woods was in the 4th grade when I joined the Cub Scouts… so I need some help figuring out my “layering system”. Since we’re either hunting the desert SW in September, or late November elk in MT, or possibly mid fall in South Central ID, what is a “do it all” combo?
I’ve heard the ticks are nothing to joke about, so I’m planning on getting that stuff that they don’t like and soaking all of my gear in it. Question I have though, is I hear the smell of that permithian, or whatever it’s called, actually attracts grizzly bears. I already have pepper spray that I plan on packing, but should I carry a pistol too? If so, what carry system is your go to? I don’t think a chest harness will work for me because my bino harness is already currently 32lbs. I have everything from my Vortex, to my 750ml titanium cup, to my sunglasses, windometer, rangefinder, GPS, laptop with ballistic calculator program, cell phone, hearing protection, fire starter, a couple Jolly Ranchers and a knife that weighs .04oz mounted into the system. Any suggestions?
Next would be where to go. Not looking for anyone’s honey holes. I’ve been scouring the internet, watching all the meticulously groomed, metrosexual, 3rd generation, exclusive private land outfitter’s YouTube thing’s learning everything I can learn via the net. I also just received my Master’s degree from Go Hunt Dot Com in e-scouting (I actually have already spotted several outfitter wall tents, 32 elk, a nice mulie, 6 squirrels and a guy in blaze orange taking a shit). So… here’s my question. In unit 12, in MT, in the Steep Cr drainage. Would you suggest I hunt the north facing side of the drainage (that from my e-scouting appears to be more timbered), or would you hunt the south facing side? Again, not looking for honey holes, but my GPS runs on datum WGS84 and I prefer degrees/decimals/minutes. Appreciate anything you guys have on that.
Next… caliber. What should I shoot and do I really need a high end scope? Some things I’m looking for… fully custom build, weight under 4lbs that is perfectly balanced and a tack driver all day long, suppressed, hits like the hand of god, extremely limited to zero recoil and under $500. Should I reload? If so… how?
Fitness. I played JV football in high and was actually a pretty big F-cking deal and in extremely good shape. Since then. I let things slide a bit. I’m currently 5’8” and around 264. What do I need to do to be able to go deep, backcountry, OTC, DIY? I’m looking to get way back, where nobody goes. I paid several grand to a bunch of Texans to put me through an elk boot camp. Yeah. You read that right. Texans teaching others out of staters how to hunt elk. Will this boot camp be enough to get me in shape, or should I also supplement with a shake weight and thigh master?
Okay last. Now that I’m gonna be quite a ways into the backcountry, what do I do when I kill one? It could be triple digits or below zero. Do you bone, quarter, hire a packer, get one of those motorized wheelbarrow things that the guy from the Sawtooth used, e-bike, or just sit down and eat it on site?
Thanks for all the help.
Hey, 1 more thing. I’m trying to post something in the Classifieds and can’t. Sup with that?

For those that don't like menes, just remember, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Just think what a pic with a few words is worth!

Azone

WKR
Thanks for all the help.
6BE438D4-6FDD-4B7F-9B83-65916FD2D8CD.jpeg
You win.

Rich M

WKR
"Want to hunt solo but afraid of the dark"

Next would be where to go. Not looking for anyone’s honey holes. I’ve been scouring the internet, watching all the meticulously groomed, metrosexual, 3rd generation, exclusive private land outfitter’s YouTube thing’s learning everything I can learn via the net. I also just received my Master’s degree from Go Hunt Dot Com in e-scouting (I actually have already spotted several outfitter wall tents, 32 elk, a nice mulie, 6 squirrels and a guy in blaze orange taking a shit).

I laughed out loud for these!

nobody

WKR
6.5 (insert flavor here) for (insert animal here)?

That reminds me, I need more 140 ELDM's for my 3 creeds...

Carry on gents.

Outlaw99

WKR
Thanks for all the help.
The single best post in the entire history of the Rokslide

Wow! I really appreciate all the positive replies and messages I’ve received from the Rokslide community in response to my first ever post… I’m well on my way.
I’ve read this thread and won’t ask about “WKR”! Haha!
But I do have another question. What is this “10% Club” and how do you join?

cmahoney

WKR
Thanks for all the help.

Following, I’m headed out west next year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks for all the help.
Wow. Bravo!

I admit when I first looked at the screen and saw the diarrhea-type long post, my first thought was "new guy - TL;DR reply inbound". But then I looked deeper, and I saw the beauty in your complete lack of paragraphs (or spaces between paragraphs). I was hooked when I saw good grammar, especially the absence of: run-on sentences; extra spaces after periods; and the use of the word "seen" in the past tense. Your post also artfully covered a wide diversity of topics, but also geography and stages of life. The preparation for your piece must have been considerable. Keep them coming.

My only question for you:

1671724298890.png

Last edited:

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
What ____ are you “running”

Running!? No one is running a pair of boots. You run IN a pair of boots!

I’m a little girl afraid of snakes, are there scary snakes in “xyz” unit?

Sorry had to 😂