The moose lake

jofes

WKR
Getting dropped off on September 3rd on a lake to moose hunt, we have a few lakes we are looking at but the question I have is, do you decide on the side with the better glassing? Camping? Or should I make wind the #1 factor in our decision on which part of a lake to be dropped at?

Additional questions, do you treat your outer layers with permethrin?

Thanks

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I love this question as I had the same question after my first moose hunt! There are clearly better people to answer this than me but we decided where to go based off of the best glassing. the 3 moose hunts I've been on have been kind of inconsistent with wind direction so we would just try to call into the wind each day. I have even gone to adding more anchors to the tent based on the wind only to have it change directions with the next storm so I gave up to some degree on that. each time i've gone we have had to do some work to get a good camp set up like clearing brush and such. I have never used permethrin.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Depends on the lake terrain. Oftentimes lakes are just landable but camping for long period could be a challenge if trying to pair suitable hunting/glassing with actual camping. I think the best answer is wait until you get there and devise a strategy from that point. No on permethrin.

AKDoc

WKR
^^^^Agree totally with the above responses.

The wind can and does change, so you can’t plan camp location totally on anticipated wind direction. Take a look on approach and decide on your camp location. Get a good feel for the wet areas and the preferred areas you can drop the bull on dry ground.

You’re going a bit early for rut, but conservatively call from camp and directly into the wind…and try not to hike all over the place, which is sometimes hard for me 🤣.

I’ve never used permethrin.

cnelk

WKR
Done it twice. Talk to the pilot. He will tell you what nearby lakes he can land on - or not.

You don’t necessarily have to bring the meat to camp to load the plane. When we went in ‘21, we built a meat pole across the lake from our camp. When the pilot arrived to transport meat, one of us was at camp, the other at the meat pole. The pilot taxied into camp (where he dropped us off) and then was directed to across the lake where the meat was.
Flagging tape is your friend.

Wind is fickle. Place camp for the best comfort.

No permethrin